New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: screenexile on January 21, 2022, 11:12:14 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 21, 2022, 11:04:27 AM
I bought a car in March and it's worth a few thousand more now than it was then. The market is ridiculous at the minute.

Bought a car in July and finding the same car with same miles £3k dearer on the sites... lucky to get it when I did!!
Yep, fairly sickening.  I've had to adjust the budget upwards, but the supply issues on new cars aren't getting any better in the short term. 
OH bought a car in 2018, saw one in the dealers last Sat that is one year younger but has same miles, and is the price that he paid.  Effectively his current car could be sold at about £1.5-£2k less than he paid for it in 2018.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on January 21, 2022, 10:12:50 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2021, 08:42:47 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 24, 2021, 08:10:14 PM
Yes the RAV4 is only in petrol or hybrid. They're a bit pricey when compared with the other 2 that's the only thing

Going for the Ford Puma, it's a hybrid be interested in if it saves me on fuel much, hopefully picking up mid November, apparently Ford are slow with distribution, ordered in July so if you're ordering new beware

Did you find much of saving on fuel with the hybrid in the end?  Just curious.

Nah, its a very mild hybrid so not noticing any savings at all if I'm being honest. Nice drive all the same, was due to collect it in late October, only got it start of the year.

Motor industry is struggling for processors
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Anyone have an Audi and have plug and play installed? I noticed that Portadown Audi are offering to install it for free. I'm just wonder what the catch is? Is it because it links to their garage for scheduling a service etc?

joebloggs

Have three kids under 5. How have you all managed it vehicle wise? Don't want to go for a people carrier to be able to fit three child seats but the larger jeeps with sufficient isofix etc are all crazy money

snoopdog

Quote from: joebloggs on January 22, 2022, 06:59:21 PM
Have three kids under 5. How have you all managed it vehicle wise? Don't want to go for a people carrier to be able to fit three child seats but the larger jeeps with sufficient isofix etc are all crazy money
I have 3. All under 5 at one stage. I had to go for a santa fe couldn't safely fit 3 child seats in the 1 row. Not sure how others do it.

laoislad

People carrier is really the only solution imo. They aren't pretty or great to drive but they are functional and practical which really is what you need.I've 3 boys.
We have a Renault Scenic as the family car and the 3 all fit in the back easily,pretty large boot in it also.
Look it's only for a few years. My older two are getting to the stage where they will be too big for car seats soon so when we change that car we can get something a little less boring!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

David McKeown

Quote from: Rois on January 21, 2022, 11:15:16 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 21, 2022, 11:12:14 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 21, 2022, 11:04:27 AM
I bought a car in March and it's worth a few thousand more now than it was then. The market is ridiculous at the minute.

Bought a car in July and finding the same car with same miles £3k dearer on the sites... lucky to get it when I did!!
Yep, fairly sickening.  I've had to adjust the budget upwards, but the supply issues on new cars aren't getting any better in the short term. 
OH bought a car in 2018, saw one in the dealers last Sat that is one year younger but has same miles, and is the price that he paid.  Effectively his current car could be sold at about £1.5-£2k less than he paid for it in 2018.

It's properly crazy. I bought my car in November 2019. It was a February 19 car with 8k miles. Was in the dealer the other day looking what I paid for mine for a February 19 car with 40k miles on it.

Also bought a VW UP in Summer 19. It was a 15 Up. Got it for 4.5k. Went looking in October time out of curiosity and couldn't find a 15 up for less than 6k.

The one that blew my mind though was the Volvo XC 40. In October they were cheaper new than second hand because of the 4-5 month wait.

All that said though as a result we got a simply phenomenal deal on an XC 60. Less than £400 a month with a 10k mileage pcp. Big balloon payment admittedly but I'll just hand it back in 3 years and go again. The catch was it won't arrive till Spring but that suited us fine
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

RadioGAAGAA

I think a VW Touran can take 3 across in the back - and has done so for a number of years now.

OK, people carrier it is - but a small enough one rather than a 3 row bus.
i usse an speelchekor

Itchy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 22, 2022, 09:33:10 PM

I think a VW Touran can take 3 across in the back - and has done so for a number of years now.

OK, people carrier it is - but a small enough one rather than a 3 row bus.

I was in this boat a few years back. I had an outlander, sorrento and a Peugeot 5008. All can fit 3 child seats in back and I went with 7 seat versions of them all although I seldom used the back 2. Sorento was my favourite

Rois

Q5 has isofix in the front passenger seat.

seafoid

Quote from: lurganblue on January 22, 2022, 08:50:35 AM
Anyone have an Audi and have plug and play installed? I noticed that Portadown Audi are offering to install it for free. I'm just wonder what the catch is? Is it because it links to their garage for scheduling a service etc?
I think it's all about data.  If there is something wrong with our car a message comes up on the dashboard screen giving the nature of the problem and advising to go to the garage. At the garage the first thing the mechanics do is look  at the car computer.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: laoislad on January 22, 2022, 07:54:20 PM
People carrier is really the only solution imo. They aren't pretty or great to drive but they are functional and practical which really is what you need.I've 3 boys.
We have a Renault Scenic as the family car and the 3 all fit in the back easily,pretty large boot in it also.
Look it's only for a few years. My older two are getting to the stage where they will be too big for car seats soon so when we change that car we can get something a little less boring!
I'd agree with that. I had 3 under 3 with a set of twins so I had no choice but to go with the people carrier between the 3 isofix seats in the back and a double buggy in the boot. Had a grand picasso for herself and just by chance my company car was changing and I got a grand scenic, probably could of done without 2 but it was handy at the time. Neither are very exciting but they were handy for what they were needed for. Kept both for 5 years and was able to go back to whatever else after that.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Rois on January 22, 2022, 10:39:05 PM

Interesting Rois, interesting  :D

Rois

Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 24, 2022, 11:22:59 AM
Quote from: Rois on January 22, 2022, 10:39:05 PM

Interesting Rois, interesting  :D
You never know, do you?  ;)

tbrick18

Quote from: laoislad on January 22, 2022, 07:54:20 PM

Yeah people carrier is the only way. I've been through my share.
I'd avoid the Renaults (Espace/Scenic), they give serious engine and electrics issues.
Best I found was actually the ford galaxy. Good space all around and the boot seats fold into the floor giving a massive boot when in 5 seat mode.
At 130bhp they are also a decent drive, not much different than driving a Mondeo. We still have a 2008 model with about 160K...it's getting rough around the edges (what family car isnt), but mechanically the biggest job it has ever needed is a clutch.
We keep thinking of changing, but a decent people carrier is expensive and ours still does the job, just doesn't look great. But I've no car payment and the car is as reliable as ever. Even with the cost of vehicles going up, ours is still worth only £1500 i reckon, but it does the job. So i'm finding it hard to take on a payment to get something that looks better.
Volvo XC90 is a good 7 seater too with the boot seats folding down and some models have a built in booster seat. You can get 3 car seats in the middle row at a squeeze.
Not the same leg space as a Galaxy, but a bit more refined. The newer model XC90 are expensive though and hard to run.

Key to all of them is to keep them serviced. Even and extra oil change between service intervals doesn't go astray.