Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumanee 1

3/4 of the article to make one point ::)

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

First it was the refs...now he is trying to put pressure on umpires.  Harte is singlehandedly trying to bring ferguson type intimidation of our officials to the game via this media campaign of his. Its a disgrace that nobody seems to mind this or even comment on it.

laceer

Quote from: bennydorano on June 12, 2009, 12:02:15 PM
For such a superb manager, his Clolumns are awful, inane stuff.

exactly my thoughts

ardmhachaabu

Right, he wants to get rid of the men in white coats... I wonder why?

;)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

muppet

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 12, 2009, 08:48:50 PM
Right, he wants to get rid of the men in white coats... I wonder why?

;)

He used to hear voices....
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

MH is a very powerful man - O'Neills have already received an order from the GAA today to commission new high visibilty vests and pants for umpires.

Wait to you see them next year ! Pure class.

Go on Mickey boy...........

saffron sam2

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 08, 2009, 11:30:18 AM
Feck, whilst there may well be a valid point somewhere therein, that was hard going. Does Evil Genius do the ghost writing?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

bigpaul

I wasn't expecting Mickey to comment much on the Tyrone team in his column,however I never thought he would  avoid the actual football that is being played altogether ! He seems determined to steer clear of making any comment about the football played by any team in the championship.I totally agree with his point,if umpires lost the coats and moved about a bit they would at least look as if they were on top of things and inspire a little more confidence(I wonder has he International and Australian Rules somewhere in his mind when putting forward these points).Overall though this still has to be just about the dullest column in any newspaper,I generally just scan the page to find the substantive point and then begin to read,for today's offering I just about scanned the whole thing(it reminded me of A A Gill's restaurant review in the Sunday Times).

screenexile

Well has the bearded son of Beelzebub anything interesting to say about Sundays upcoming fare??

Archie Mitchell

More imaginative steps needed in recruiting refs

Mickey Harte

By Mickey Harte
19/06/09

REFEREEING is a task that all followers of Gaelic games have very definite views on.

Generally those opinions are not very endearing towards 'the men in black'. However, we might do well to take a step back, detach ourselves from the emotion of the game and give due credit to those who carry out this quite thankless task, Sunday after Sunday (and many other days too).

The facts of the matter are that if we were to look at the performance of our whistlers in an objective way, the scales come down heavily in favour of the number of correct decisions they make as opposed to their errors of judgement.

Can you imagine the chaos and total breakdown of the system that would occur if, on any given

Sunday, the referees decided to withdraw their services?

In Tyrone alone, upwards of 1000 players would be unable to compete. If this figure was extrapolated throughout the province, we are looking at numbers in the region of 10,000 who would feel the pinch.

So the next time we, as players, managers or spectators, feel aggrieved at some unfavourable decision, perhaps we would do well to reflect on the above scenario.

I feel it's time for a radical review of the situation with regard to match officials.

Many of our referees, particularly at club level, are thrown in at the deep end in order to fulfil the minimum requirement of having two representatives per club.

The pressure that is brought to bear on clubs to produce referees  – if you don't have two referees then your reserves might not get a game – I think is unfair and, in the long term, potentially detrimental.

The net result of this threat is that clubs force, coerce, cajole often reluctant individuals to allow their name to go forward as a club referee. The situation that prevails at present mitigates against current players volunteering for this task and this necessarily limits the range of personnel who can possibly embrace this challenge.

Realistically, we are left with young men who aren't particularly attracted to playing or men who have finished their playing careers.

The young man who doesn't want to play is highly unlikely to have the confidence and knowledge of the game (including the rules) to be effective in this demanding environment.

The recently retired player would know too well the level of abuse and criticism that goes with the territory and consequently there would be no queue of applicants from this category. (Indeed his wife and family would be highly unlikely to buy into this form of extended career).

While many current players would be reluctant to step boldly into the referee's kit, I believe there would be huge benefits over time of

facilitating this innovation.

Firstly, the players concerned would have to acquire a greater knowledge of the rules, which would help them become better players and be more sympathetic and have a greater sense of

empathy with their fellow officials.

These men would have a greater feel for the game and should be more able to appreciate the range of emotions experienced by the players during the heat of the

contest. Physically they would be better equipped to keep up with the pace of the game, a feat that is no mean task in the modern game,  and thus be in closer proximity to the action when difficult calls have to be made.

Recent observations of the role of a referee when he attempts to keep as close to the play as possible

suggests that he covers as much ground as the most mobile players on the team.

Indeed, his range and variety of movement is also on a par with the players. This being so, it seems logical that the current generation of whistlers would be hard pressed to meet these physical demands.

Of course, the current system of all games taking place simultaneously would have to be addressed and adjusted. Players would have to referee outside their own divisions and the transition would have to take place through youth football.

There will, of course, always be a place for competent, non-playing referees, but they would now be subject to more rigorous fitness

requirements than is currently the case.

Ultimately the people who currently carry out this difficult task should be both respected and properly remunerated.

I don't know the exact extent of their current expenses but I feel a robust expense structure would attract more candidates to this difficult, yet essential role.

Undoubtedly this departure would be viewed as seriously problematic by the administrators in terms of practicality, however, with careful planning, I have no doubt these difficulties could be overcome and the opportunities for improvement could far outweigh the perceived obstacles.

GREAT TEAMWORK

I WOULD like to congratulate the entire community in Dromore (Co Tyrone) on their magnificent achievement last Saturday when they hosted over 1000 runners/walkers in a joint venture undertaken by the Church of Ireland-backed charity Fields of Life and the Spirit of Paul McGirr Trust.

Both organisations collaborated positively to raise funds for their respective projects in Africa. The spirit of co-operation prevalent at this event provided a clear indication that added benefits will accrue much nearer to home.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Here's your thrill-a-minute:

More imaginative steps needed in recruiting refs Mickey Harte
By Mickey Harte
19/06/09

REFEREEING is a task that all followers of Gaelic games have very definite views on. Generally those opinions are not very endearing towards 'the men in black'. However, we might do well to take a step back, detach ourselves from the emotion of the game and give due credit to those who carry out this quite thankless task, Sunday after Sunday (and many other days too).

The facts of the matter are that if we were to look at the performance of our whistlers in an objective way, the scales come down heavily in favour of the number of correct decisions they make as opposed to their errors of judgement. Can you imagine the chaos and total breakdown of the system that would occur if, on any given
Sunday, the referees decided to withdraw their services?

In Tyrone alone, upwards of 1000 players would be unable to compete. If this figure was extrapolated throughout the province, we are looking at numbers in the region of 10,000 who would feel the pinch. So the next time we, as players, managers or spectators, feel aggrieved at some unfavourable decision, perhaps we would do well to reflect on the above scenario.

I feel it's time for a radical review of the situation with regard to match officials. Many of our referees, particularly at club level, are thrown in at the deep end in order to fulfil the minimum requirement of having two representatives per club. The pressure that is brought to bear on clubs to produce referees  – if you don't have two referees then your reserves might not get a game – I think is unfair and, in the long term, potentially detrimental. The net result of this threat is that clubs force, coerce, cajole often reluctant individuals to allow their name to go forward as a club referee. The situation that prevails at present mitigates against current players volunteering for this task and this necessarily limits the range of personnel who can possibly embrace this challenge.

Realistically, we are left with young men who aren't particularly attracted to playing or men who have finished their playing careers. The young man who doesn't want to play is highly unlikely to have the confidence and knowledge of the game (including the rules) to be effective in this demanding environment. The recently retired player would know too well the level of abuse and criticism that goes with the territory and consequently there would be no queue of applicants from this category. (Indeed his wife and family would be highly unlikely to buy into this form of extended career).

While many current players would be reluctant to step boldly into the referee's kit, I believe there would be huge benefits over time of facilitating this innovation. Firstly, the players concerned would have to acquire a greater knowledge of the rules, which would help them become better players and be more sympathetic and have a greater sense of empathy with their fellow officials. These men would have a greater feel for the game and should be more able to appreciate the range of emotions experienced by the players during the heat of the contest. Physically they would be better equipped to keep up with the pace of the game, a feat that is no mean task in the modern game, and thus be in closer proximity to the action when difficult calls have to be made.

Recent observations of the role of a referee when he attempts to keep as close to the play as possible suggests that he covers as much ground as the most mobile players on the team. Indeed, his range and variety of movement is also on a par with the players. This being so, it seems logical that the current generation of whistlers would be hard pressed to meet these physical demands.

Of course, the current system of all games taking place simultaneously would have to be addressed and adjusted. Players would have to referee outside their own divisions and the transition would have to take place through youth football. There will, of course, always be a place for competent, non-playing referees, but they would now be subject to more rigorous fitness requirements than is currently the case. Ultimately the people who currently carry out this difficult task should be both respected and properly remunerated. I don't know the exact extent of their current expenses but I feel a robust expense structure would attract more candidates to this difficult, yet essential role.

Undoubtedly this departure would be viewed as seriously problematic by the administrators in terms of practicality, however, with careful planning, I have no doubt these difficulties could be overcome and the opportunities for improvement could far outweigh the perceived obstacles.

GREAT TEAMWORK

I WOULD like to congratulate the entire community in Dromore (Co Tyrone) on their magnificent achievement last Saturday when they hosted over 1000 runners/walkers in a joint venture undertaken by the Church of Ireland-backed charity Fields of Life and the Spirit of Paul McGirr Trust.

Both organisations collaborated positively to raise funds for their respective projects in Africa. The spirit of co-operation prevalent at this event provided a clear indication that added benefits will accrue much nearer to home.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

With umpires and referees sorted, I presume he'll target linesmen next week then?
That was never a square ball!!

longball

Anyone able to post Paddy Heaneys article thats in the IN 2day?
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Archie Mitchell

Antrim feel benefits of the love of the game

Against the Breeze
By Paddy Heaney
30/06/09

Liam Bradley's success in steering Antrim into their first Ulster Senior Football final in 39 years was laced with irony.

The day before Antrim created history in Clones the GPA announced that a media ban will be enforced during this year's Leinster Football and Munster Hurling finals.

Liam Bradley and his Antrim players must have scratched their heads when they heard this news. Bradley and his happy Saffrons inhabit a very different world.

This was evident in the immediate aftermath of Antrim's victory over Donegal in Ballybofey when Bradley let rip on the journalists who enforced their own media ban on his players ahead of the game.

In typically 'Baker' fashion, the Glenullin man asked where all their microphones were the previous Tuesday when journalists from just two newspapers (The Irish News and The Andersonstown News) attended Antrim's press night.

The snub was keenly felt. Press nights are good for managers because it allows all interviews to be completed in one fell swoop and it's good for journalists because there's no need to spend hours tracking down players on their mobile phones.

A bit of media coverage is one of the small perks of playing for Antrim. The players don't crave the attention, but it is appreciated by their family, friends and clubs. An interview is something that can be kept in the attic, proof that granda used to play for the county.

The typical Belfast

inter-county footballer has got little in common with some of his city counterparts in Dublin and Cork.

James Loughrey is a good example. At that press night in Creggan, Loughrey revealed how he turned his back on a career in basketball because all his friends played for St Brigid's. A gifted athlete, Loughrey graduated to the county senior team, but only to become the butt of the jokes and jibes from those same loyal friends.

Like his Antrim team-mates, James Loughrey plays football for the love of the game. There is nothing else. No sponsorship deals, cheques for appearances, or financial incentives to join other clubs.

The GAA in Dublin is a very different animal. Last week I was speaking to a club footballer living and playing in Dublin. His latest club provides him free accommodation and pays him E300 a week.

Then we wonder why there are individuals in Dublin who have signed for three different clubs, all within a 15-minute drive of each other.

In an environment where the GAA is acting as a revenue stream, it's not surprising that some people now hold a topsy-turvy view of what it's all about. If a footballer is getting a signing on fee, then of course he'll believe that: 'it's not what you can do for your club, but what your club can do for you.'

Those who believe that the GAA owe them a living would feel bewildered that Bradley is not getting paid to manage Antrim. And don't take my word for it.

Antrim chairman John McSparran made an unequivocal statement to this newspaper a few months ago, stating Bradley is not being remunerated for his services.

Nope. The real reason Liam Bradley is managing Antrim is because, one day, he wants to manage his native Derry. He has already been overlooked for the job twice.

But Bradley is refusing to go away. As Derry manager, he would have two sons on the team. This can pose problems. There would also have been some confusion over his ability to do the job. When he led Glenullin to the county title in 2007, some of the credit was attributed to Kevin Madden, who Liam brought in to assist him. There may also have been some doubts about Bradley's temperament. He's no lamb, and he'll say exactly what he thinks to anyone.

A lesser man might have simply accepted that the Derry job was always going to remain beyond his grasp.

But by taking the Antrim post, Bradley set out to prove that he can manage a county team, and that he can do it successfully. Now, his stock is soaring and his detractors must view him in a different light.

Antrim have played 11 League and Championship games this year and lost just once. They've gained promotion from Division Four and have progressed to the last 12 teams in the All-Ireland Championship.

Bradley deserves huge credit. His strength of personality lies at the heart of his success.

Weak, insecure managers surround themselves with weak, insipid, 'yes' men. A strong manager likes to surround himself with strong people, who may sometimes challenge him.

At Glenullin, Bradley took on Kevin Madden, and has now harnessed Niall Conway's expertise. Conway led the Derry minors to the 2007 All-Ireland final. His teams play 'heads up football'. It's fast, it's slick and it's effective. Conway coaches, Bradley calls the shots.

His conviction is unshakeable. His nickname, 'the Baker' was earned due to the white sports jacket he was fond of wearing at a time in the 1980s when a brown leather jacket, a moustache, and a pint of Bass was the standard leisure wear of most self-respecting North Derry men.

And, unlike a few other managers, Bradley hasn't turned into a Mickey Harte mimic. He will not be found standing on the sideline in thoughtful repose. After Sean Brady won Cavan's first three kick-outs, Liam could be seen addressing this state of affairs with Tony Scullion. Fingers were pointed, voices were raised, and it can be assumed Tony was told in no uncertain terms to make sure that Brady didn't make four catches in-a-row.

The previous week his son Paddy was snuffed out of the game in Casement Park when double-marked by Justin McMahon and Conor Gormley.

Having watched that performance, it would have been understandable if Bradley had aped Tyrone's system against Cavan's Seanie Johnston. But Bradley had his own ideas. During a conversation with him last week, he told me that there was no guarantee that he would put two men on Johnston. I thought he was joking, and laughed. Liam laughed too.

Liam wasn't joking. After Saturday's game, it emerged that Bradley had told the Antrim players that there was no need to double mark Johnston. He told them that as individuals they were better footballers than the Cavan players. He said if they went out and expressed themselves then they would win.

Liam Bradley is not the first manager to assure Antrim footballers that they are every bit as good as the outfit next door. The difference with 'the Baker' is that when he says something, players believe it.

Next up for the Saffrons is Tyrone, the All-Ireland champions in an Ulster final.

There will be no media bans. After 39 years in darkness, the Saffrons deserve their moment in the sun. And their families are entitled to store and treasure the newspaper supplements and television stories which will be produced for this rare and wonderful occasion.

Because when you manage and play for this Antrim team, you use the attic to store newspaper cuttings, not the brown paper bags from tax-free perks.