Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upandwin

Normally I'd agree with you but I feel like the injuries this year have been more harsh for Kilcoo than other teams...Devlin, Ward and Jerome all either not fit or not firing on all cylinders so far through Injury. But you're right, they are the team to beat no doubt but for once I think they're beatable. Previous years I thought it was an inevitability they'd win Frank (was shocked in 2018) but they've been flawless. This year could be a different story if those lads aren't 100%...Take Jerome out of any team in Down and they're massively impacted...

ScarvaLegend

Now that we have a good mix of entries for the prediction comp, I thought it would be interesting to have a look at the 'wisdom of the crowd'.

In the SFC, CPN, Burren and Clonduff are all expected to get landslide victories as they have all got 100% of the votes. So far, the closest battle predicted is the RGU-Carryduff encounter. The community has RGU slight favourites in a coinflip, one which the bookmakers have marked Carryduff as clear favourites.

Dromara-Clann na Banna and Saval-Darragh Cross look to be the picks of the IFC.

27 (100.00%)   CPN (1/8)   -   Longstone (9/2)   0 (0.00%)
0 (0.00%)   Saul (13/2)   -   Burren (1/14)   27 (100.00%)
7 (25.93%)   Bredagh (11/4)   -   Castlewellan (1/3)   20 (74.07%)
10 (37.04%)   Mayobridge (4/1)   -   Kilcoo (1/6)   17 (62.96%)
27 (100.00%)   Clonduff (1/2)   -   Rostrevor (15/8)   0 (0.00%)
3 (11.11%)   Loughinisland (7/4)   -   Ballyholland (4/7)   24 (88.89%)
20 (74.07%)   Bryansford (1/3)   -   Glenn (11/4)   7 (25.93%)
14 (51.85%)   RGU (15/8)   -   Carryduff (1/2)   13 (48.15%)
26 (96.30%)   An Riocht   -   Ballymartin   1 (3.70%)
15 (57.69%)   Clann na Banna   -   Dromara   11 (42.31%)
5 (19.23%)   Bosco   -   Atticall   21 (80.77%)
22 (81.48%)   Shamrocks   -   Drumgath   5 (18.52%)
2 (7.41%)   St Johns   -   Liatroim   25 (92.59%)
3 (11.11%)   St Pauls   -   Annaclone   24 (88.89%)
11 (40.74%)   Saval   -   Darragh Cross   16 (59.26%)
25 (92.59%)   Tullylish   -   Bright   2 (7.41%)
4 (14.81%)   Mitchels   -   Glasdrumman   23 (85.19%)
25 (96.15%)   Drumaness   -   St Michaels   1 (3.85%)
26 (96.30%)   East Belfast   -   Aghaderg   1 (3.70%)
24 (88.89%)   Aughlisnafin   -   Teconnaught   3 (11.11%)
7 (26.92%)   Ardglass   -   Dundrum   19 (73.08%)

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on September 14, 2021, 02:16:03 PM
Normally I'd agree with you but I feel like the injuries this year have been more harsh for Kilcoo than other teams...Devlin, Ward and Jerome all either not fit or not firing on all cylinders so far through Injury. But you're right, they are the team to beat no doubt but for once I think they're beatable. Previous years I thought it was an inevitability they'd win Frank (was shocked in 2018) but they've been flawless. This year could be a different story if those lads aren't 100%...Take Jerome out of any team in Down and they're massively impacted...

Men, again we have been saying this for years, the two Johnstons were missing one year and they still won it. They always have a few injuries and come back stronger in the championship. Big Choc, Jerome, Shealan, Ward and Devlin will be playing on Sunday.

Mourne Red

County Board charging u16s into championship games is a f**king disgrace

thewobbler

Quote from: Mourne Red on September 14, 2021, 04:28:51 PM

Would you not perhaps accept that:

1. When capacity restrictions mean that everyone attending must pre-purchase a ticket, the only practical way to do this is with a charge? I mean if Joanne from Ballyholland books 4 free children's tickets for Sunday's match and then decides not to go, then that's 4 of the allocated spaces gone, never to return, and 4 tickets she cannot pass onto an adult. Maybe you believe that all the Joanne's of the world will cancel their tickets and free them up again. I don't think any of them would.

2. Furthermore, as capacity  is limited, and every person has to be accounted for, then for more popular games, that capacity is going to be sorely tested. If there's 1000 tickets available and the first hundred dads in grab free tickets for their children, "just in case they might go", then the game will sell out in no time. Except it isn't sold out. It's instead a giant pain in the hole for everyone involved as real, bonafide club stalwarts will miss out because Frank and Liam from the next parish may or may not  each bring their 4 kids. Frank and Liam might not even go themselves if it rains. Sure it's only a fiver.

3.  £5 for an adult to attend an SFC match is about £5 less than it was 2 years ago, which surely negates somewhat the cost of bringing along children.

Maybe, just maybe there sometimes is a world of grey between "what used to happen" and "a f**king disgrace"?

Mourne Red

Quote from: thewobbler on September 14, 2021, 04:57:34 PM

1. When capacity restrictions mean that everyone attending must pre-purchase a ticket, the only practical way to do this is with a charge? I mean if Joanne from Ballyholland books 4 free children's tickets for Sunday's match and then decides not to go, then that's 4 of the allocated spaces gone, never to return, and 4 tickets she cannot pass onto an adult. Maybe you believe that all the Joanne's of the world will cancel their tickets and free them up again. I don't think any of them would.

2. Furthermore, as capacity  is limited, and every person has to be accounted for, then for more popular games, that capacity is going to be sorely tested. If there's 1000 tickets available and the first hundred dads in grab free tickets for their children, "just in case they might go", then the game will sell out in no time. Except it isn't sold out. It's instead a giant pain in the hole for everyone involved as real, bonafide club stalwarts will miss out because Frank and Liam from the next parish may or may not  each bring their 4 kids. Frank and Liam might not even go themselves if it rains. Sure it's only a fiver.

3.  £5 for an adult to attend an SFC match is about £5 less than it was 2 years ago, which surely negates somewhat the cost of bringing along children.

Maybe, just maybe there sometimes is a world of grey between "what used to happen" and "a f**king disgrace"?

TheWobbler the restrictions lifted mean there are hardly any capacity issues now, U16s could be purchased as a free option and then scanned. So that keeps track off numbers too. Also hardly any JFC/IFC games sold out last year and you expect to your arguement to hold up for those games?

And you obviously don't go too many games as championships games were only £10 because they were double headers in which u16s was free for attending. JFC and MFC was a double header in 2019 and was £10 for the double header so this £5 cheaper bullshit you came up with you can put it back up your arse where you pulled it from.

wobbller

Quote from: Mourne Red on September 14, 2021, 05:11:48 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 14, 2021, 04:57:34 PM

TheWobbler the restrictions lifted mean there are hardly any capacity issues now, U16s could be purchased as a free option and then scanned. So that keeps track off numbers too. Also hardly any JFC/IFC games sold out last year and you expect to your arguement to hold up for those games?

And you obviously don't go too many games as championships games were only £10 because they were double headers in which u16s was free for attending. JFC and MFC was a double header in 2019 and was £10 for the double header so this £5 cheaper bullshit you came up with you can put it back up your arse where you pulled it from.
Mourne Red, well done on organising the Prediction Comp. but I think you are a bit OTT in your tone there to my cousin.

thewobbler

So in summary, according to you, the county board which is currently:

1. Not scheduling double headers.

2. Avoiding taking payments at the gate, in favour of losing a cut on every ticket to Stripe and the App producer.

3. Charging reduced prices.

Are only doing all this because they're batshit crazy bastards who don't understand capacity regulations in the six counties.

Makes perfect sense.

——

Hit me with "that's for double headers" all you like. Prior to Covid you'd have paid more than £5 into any SFC game going back 10 years - whether you wanted to watch 1 game, 1.5 games or 2.

There is actually a per adult cost saving going on. Don't try to pretend otherwise. The maths behind it is primary one stuff.

SHEEDY

Odds for a couple of selected games are interesting;
Clonduff 1/3 draw 15/2 Rostrevor 11/4
Kilcoo 1/6 draw 12/1 Mayobridge 4/1
Carryduff 1/2 draw 7/1 RGU 15/8

Nobody thinks Rostrevor have a chance but plenty fancying Mayobridge who are bigger odds and according to the bookies have less chance of winning. Bookies odds also heavily favour Carryduff against RGU. There's nice wee value double to be had for those fancying Mayobridge and Downpatrick
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Red

Quote from: thewobbler on September 14, 2021, 05:22:41 PM

2. Avoiding taking payments at the gate, in favour of losing a cut on every ticket to Stripe and the App producer.

Are only doing all this because they're batshit crazy bastards who don't understand capacity regulations in the six counties.

Makes perfect sense.

——

Hit me with "that's for double headers" all you like. Prior to Covid you'd have paid more than £5 into any SFC game going back 10 years - whether you wanted to watch 1 game, 1.5 games or 2.

There is actually a per adult cost saving going on. Don't try to pretend otherwise. The maths behind it is primary one stuff.

There is no cost saving going on at all, either you are on the CB or very stupid. The CB have had a disaster and if you can't see the anger on social media from the decision to charge u16s you don't belong in the GAA. You just ignored my point where I proved you wrong about the double header you said it doesn't matter if you wanted to watch 1 game it was still £10.. it was £10 for 2 matches just because you've no interest in the match before doesn't mean it was £10 for 1 match.

Also the buck stupid decision to schedule SHC and SFC match's for Bredagh 24 hours apart is another example of how incompetent they are.

Mourne Red

Down Facebook page deleted their post about pricing because of the backlash in the comments about charging u16s into matches... But TheWobbler will have you believe it's justified, there's an idiot in every village as they say.

Smurfy123

The joys of winning our first league a lost phone back on board now
Great win and great celebrations for a few days but now the focus is firmly on the big one
It's an open one this year but Kilcoo still favourites

As for kids getting charged in
Now I'm no big fan of the county board but what do you want them to do?
Is £5 for a kid into a championship match really that bad?
What's the big outcry all about?

Expect the Down manager to be named soon
1 of Conor Laverty or Conor Deegans to be announced

ScarvaLegend

I'd agree with Smurfy and wobbler, I don't understand the mass backlash. Everyone that posted negatively has ignored the fact that this is not a permanent change, it is temporary to allow for a restriction on the number of tickets that can be offered for each game. If the country is fully open this time next year, you can guarantee the under 16s will be allowed in FOC again.

Regarding the pricing, single matches in previous years were £8, double headers £10, so yes there has been a reduction on price on adult tickets.

Downtothewire

Quote from: Mourne Red on September 14, 2021, 10:04:31 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 14, 2021, 05:22:41 PM

Makes perfect sense.

——

There is no cost saving going on at all, either you are on the CB or very stupid. The CB have had a disaster and if you can't see the anger on social media from the decision to charge u16s you don't belong in the GAA. You just ignored my point where I proved you wrong about the double header you said it doesn't matter if you wanted to watch 1 game it was still £10.. it was £10 for 2 matches just because you've no interest in the match before doesn't mean it was £10 for 1 match.

Also the buck stupid decision to schedule SHC and SFC match's for Bredagh 24 hours apart is another example of how incompetent they are.

Not the first time that has happened just ask Liatroim

thewobbler

Quote from: Mourne Red on September 14, 2021, 10:24:52 PM
Down Facebook page deleted their post about pricing because of the backlash in the comments about charging u16s into matches... But TheWobbler will have you believe it's justified, there's an idiot in every village as they say.

If continually shouting louder and louder helps you convince yourself this a simple black and white issue, then I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do.

I prefer chatting to people with a more open mind. So I'm tuning out.

Enjoy the championship. It will never be cheaper again.