China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on December 15, 2020, 11:39:53 PM
I heard some guy on the radio today saying that the majority of 'rich' countries have made a mess of the virus.

Why?

Because they're too impatient and have a sense of entitlement and are always looking for a fast solution to everything nowadays - that's the life we're living in now.  Even we can't eat properly, needing all these drive through restaurants.

Not far wrong.

Drive through is so old hat! Look at the food apps and blokes on flipping bikes peddling flipping sandwich's to people wtf is wrong with people!

Walk to the shop and buy a sandwich ya lazy shites

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2020, 11:43:51 PM
I heard some guy on the radio today saying that the majority of 'rich' countries have made a mess of the virus.

Why?

Because they're too impatient and have a sense of entitlement and are always looking for a fast solution to everything nowadays - that's the life we're living in now.  Even we can't eat properly, needing all these drive through restaurants.

Not far wrong.

Drive through is so old hat! Look at the food apps and blokes on flipping bikes peddling flipping sandwich's to people wtf is wrong with people!

But that's the point - people in these countries are impatient.  They want everything...yesterday.

This sense of entitlement is clear to see during the pandemic.  The majority of people, in the second phase, couldn't give a toss.

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2020, 11:43:51 PM

Why?

Not far wrong.

Apparently it's not just sandwiches. It's people ordering a milkshake or a doughnut, and someone bringing it to them on a bike. The world is f**ked.

Smurfy123

The big shots on the hill are in many ways the problem as the why hospitals are overwhelmed.
A lack of funding and planning for the health service
To sit on your hole for 3 years what do you expect?
Instead of Robbie continuous blame game of the public let's call a spade a spade and tell the truth that the health service in the North is not fit for purpose
Michelle was a major part of the problem when she was health minister
Brass necks and all that
They will never be voted out but the shinners and the DUP are not fit to govern this country
They have lost control of this thing.
We have the equivalent of the south haven't 1400 cases. They expect that in the south in late January worst case scenario.
Everything should be shot for 1 month from next week
Shops
Restaurants
Work
Schools
1 month total lockdown get the numbers and hospital admission right down by the end of January and by that stage the vaccine should be kicking in
They will mess the distribution of the vaccine also

Seaney

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 16, 2020, 07:13:53 AM
The big shots on the hill are in many ways the problem as the why hospitals are overwhelmed.
Instead of Robbie continuous blame game of the public let's call a spade a spade and tell the truth that the health service in the North is not fit for purpose
Brass necks and all that
They will never be voted out but the shinners and the DUP are not fit to govern this country
We have the equivalent of the south haven't 1400 cases. They expect that in the south in late January worst case scenario.
Shops
Restaurants
Work
Schools
1 month total lockdown get the numbers and hospital admission right down by the end of January and by that stage the vaccine should be kicking in

And how many do you think will have the vaccine by end of January.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Seaney on December 16, 2020, 08:22:41 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 16, 2020, 07:13:53 AM
Brass necks and all that
Shops
Restaurants
Work
Schools

And how many do you think will have the vaccine by end of January.

For NI

Starting this month, priority groups one and two will be targeted.

Those are care home residents and staff in group one, and health and social care workers and those more than 80 years of age in group two.
There are an estimated 16,000 care home residents in Northern Ireland, with 32,000 staff.
In priority group two, there will be more than 71,000 health and social care workers, and about 82,000 people aged over 80, who don't live in care homes.
In January and February 2021, Phase two will cover Priority Groups three to seven. That takes in the over-65s (233,000), and vulnerable people under 65 who have underlying conditions - those who are extremely vulnerable (95,000) and those at a moderate risk (130,000).
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

themac_23

Ive completely changed my view on lockdowns from March, in March I was completely for lockdowns in a short term basis to get a handle on things but it has now become the go to solution which when you start to look at the data as a whole as opposed to just Covid data, lockdowns make no difference to overall death rates. I came across this interview with Dr John Lee on TalkRadio (I know I know) he makes some excellent points, in fact the best point I think he argued that a positive test should not be be called a case given that most of the those testing positive have no symptoms and no effect on them, there should be a distinction between cases and people with positive tests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHAJFQtnSVw&feature=youtu.be there's a link to the interview.

I am not saying I fully agree but what I am saying is when we look at the data and then we hear the figures released yesterday regarding the level of unemployment I think there are serious questions to be asked.

as stated, Covid, at the minute is a serious squirrel for the government and is masking a lot of the serious questions that need to be asked about how they have allowed the NHS to get to the stage where, every single winter it is beyond capacity and on its knees with staff being drained of every ounce they have.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: themac_23 on December 16, 2020, 09:53:52 AM
Ive completely changed my view on lockdowns from March, in March I was completely for lockdowns in a short term basis to get a handle on things but it has now become the go to solution which when you start to look at the data as a whole as opposed to just Covid data, lockdowns make no difference to overall death rates. I came across this interview with Dr John Lee on TalkRadio (I know I know) he makes some excellent points, in fact the best point I think he argued that a positive test should not be be called a case given that most of the those testing positive have no symptoms and no effect on them, there should be a distinction between cases and people with positive tests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHAJFQtnSVw&feature=youtu.be there's a link to the interview.

I am not saying I fully agree but what I am saying is when we look at the data and then we hear the figures released yesterday regarding the level of unemployment I think there are serious questions to be asked.

as stated, Covid, at the minute is a serious squirrel for the government and is masking a lot of the serious questions that need to be asked about how they have allowed the NHS to get to the stage where, every single winter it is beyond capacity and on its knees with staff being drained of every ounce they have.

Nothing too outrageous here. There will always be death. Nobody cared last year when the NHS was at bursting point, this year it's the only show in town.

Too many people feel a sense of mortality with regards to Covid. Lets not forget, Northern Ireland is a serious smoking nation. The damage for a lot is already done.

Redhand Santa

I think there's plenty of evidence that when things start to get out of control if you catch it early enough lockdowns/restrictions do work if implemented properly.

You only have to look at the North v the South of Ireland on the same Island to see how restrictions/lockdowns can help. In the north we've had half attempts at them and politicians fighting against them since the summer. The south has been stricter and clearer on there approach and despite having 3 times the population of the north they half the numbers in hospitals and a lot less deaths. The economy is going to suffer if you don't lockdown as shown in other countries and as bad as people losing their jobs is it's not as bad as some family having to cope with a death.

People keep saying oh the hospitals would be full anyway and covid isn't a huge factor. But no matter what way you look at there has been 15-20% excess deaths this year compared to the previous 5 years (I'd say around 800 caused by covid judging by respiratory numbers and the other 800 caused by the knockon effects of the hospitals being under pressure due to covid). And this is despite the fact we had the severe lockdown early in the year.

Also if you want another example of how restrictions v non restrictions works out look at Sweden v it's neighbours. They tried a soft approach and have had a a huge amount of more deaths compared to their neighbours and their economy has still suffered.

Our problem in the north with recent restrictions was they weren't quick enough, strict enough and didn't last long enough. They did help slow the virus down a bit but with people really stepping up rule breaking and things opening in recent weeks there is a potential disaster zone weighting to happen early in the new year. You can see the problems already building in the hospitals.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: themac_23 on December 16, 2020, 09:53:52 AMI think there are serious questions to be asked.

There are massive questions to be asked.

But is there any point asking them if there are no repercussions for horrendously wrong answers?

IMO more than a few people should at the least receive lifetime bans on standing for public office. I'd prefer jail time, but accept that is unfeasible.
i usse an speelchekor

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 16, 2020, 10:05:06 AM

Nothing too outrageous here. There will always be death. Nobody cared last year when the NHS was at bursting point, this year it's the only show in town.

Too many people feel a sense of mortality with regards to Covid. Lets not forget, Northern Ireland is a serious smoking nation. The damage for a lot is already done.

That might be true about there not being enough emphasis on NHS being at bursting point previously but no matter what way you look at it this year isn't like last year. We've had 1,500 plus more deaths this year than then and that is despite continued efforts to stop the spread of covid.

There will always be death (a lot of which can't be avoided) but if you let a contagious dangerous disease like this spread there will be a lot more deaths than necessary.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 16, 2020, 10:09:27 AM

I think there's plenty of evidence that when things start to get out of control if you catch it early enough lockdowns/restrictions do work if implemented properly.

You only have to look at the North v the South of Ireland on the same Island to see how restrictions/lockdowns can help. In the north we've had half attempts at them and politicians fighting against them since the summer. The south has been stricter and clearer on there approach and despite having 3 times the population of the north they half the numbers in hospitals and a lot less deaths. The economy is going to suffer if you don't lockdown as shown in other countries and as bad as people losing their jobs is it's not as bad as some family having to cope with a death.

People keep saying oh the hospitals would be full anyway and covid isn't a huge factor. But no matter what way you look at there has been 15-20% excess deaths this year compared to the previous 5 years (I'd say around 800 caused by covid judging by respiratory numbers and the other 800 caused by the knockon effects of the hospitals being under pressure due to covid). And this is despite the fact we had the severe lockdown early in the year.

Also if you want another example of how restrictions v non restrictions works out look at Sweden v it's neighbours. They tried a soft approach and have had a a huge amount of more deaths compared to their neighbours and their economy has still suffered.

Our problem in the north with recent restrictions was they weren't quick enough, strict enough and didn't last long enough. They did help slow the virus down a bit but with people really stepping up rule breaking and things opening in recent weeks there is a potential disaster zone weighting to happen early in the new year. You can see the problems already building in the hospitals.

In fairness now, we in the North don't look great at the moment. But the whole summer we hardly had a death. I don't like this North v South point scoring. We clearly have a problem in our schools. It's undeniable.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 16, 2020, 10:15:32 AM

In fairness now, we in the North don't look great at the moment. But the whole summer we hardly had a death. I don't like this North v South point scoring. We clearly have a problem in our schools. It's undeniable.

And the reason we hardly had a death in the summer was we got the virus under control through a tough lockdown, people continued to follow some kind of rules early summer and favourable weather meant there was less indoor mixing.

The south have also shown that you can open schools and still keep a handle on things.

I think some people want to play it all down so they can do what they want and not be told what to do. But behind every one of those 1,500 excess deaths this year is a story and a life cut short that shouldn't be ignored or accepted so you can carry on like nothing is happening.

armaghniac

Ive completely changed my view on lockdowns from March, in March I was completely for lockdowns in a short term basis to get a handle on things but it has now become the go to solution which when you start to look at the data as a whole as opposed to just Covid data, lockdowns make no difference to overall death rates.

We all die eventually, but lockdown clearly do affect levels of hospitalisation and so death.

QuoteI am not saying I fully agree but what I am saying is when we look at the data and then we hear the figures released yesterday regarding the level of unemployment I think there are serious questions to be asked.

This is a function of how things are managed. The Chinese economy has grown this year because they locked down and more or less got rid of the virus.

QuoteCovid, at the minute is a serious squirrel for the government and is masking a lot of the serious questions that need to be asked about how they have allowed the NHS to get to the stage where, every single winter it is beyond capacity and on its knees with staff being drained of every ounce they have.

Indeed, we have been skimming the water for years and some planning is needed. But a lot of health care is reactive, with little effort to plan for the future

This is one thing where half measures are no good. As China showed, you need to push on and get the job done.
Of course, NI has a lot in common with other European countries that you would think would do better. The Netherlands have closed everything yesterday. People in the 26 counties don't appreciate quite how well of they are, Covid wise, although you would never think it from the whining.

QuoteI think some people want to play it all down so they can do what they want and not be told what to do. But behind every one of those 1,500 excess deaths this year is a story and a life cut short that shouldn't be ignored or accepted so you can carry on like nothing is happening.

Quite. I do not agree with the conclusion so I am going to change the facts.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Redhand Santa

Quote from: armaghniac on December 16, 2020, 10:28:15 AM
Ive completely changed my view on lockdowns from March, in March I was completely for lockdowns in a short term basis to get a handle on things but it has now become the go to solution which when you start to look at the data as a whole as opposed to just Covid data, lockdowns make no difference to overall death rates.

We all die eventually, but lockdown clearly do affect levels of hospitalisation and so death.

QuoteI am not saying I fully agree but what I am saying is when we look at the data and then we hear the figures released yesterday regarding the level of unemployment I think there are serious questions to be asked.

This is a function of how things are managed. The Chinese economy has grown this year because they locked down and more or less got rid of the virus.

QuoteCovid, at the minute is a serious squirrel for the government and is masking a lot of the serious questions that need to be asked about how they have allowed the NHS to get to the stage where, every single winter it is beyond capacity and on its knees with staff being drained of every ounce they have.

Indeed, we have been skimming the water for years and some planning is needed. But a lot of health care is reactive, with little effort to plan for the future

This is one thing where half measures are no good. As China showed, you need to push on and get the job done.
Of course, NI has a lot in common with other European countries that you would think would do better. The Netherlands have closed everything yesterday. People in the 26 counties don't appreciate quite how well of they are, Covid wise, although you would never think it from the whining.

QuoteI think some people want to play it all down so they can do what they want and not be told what to do. But behind every one of those 1,500 excess deaths this year is a story and a life cut short that shouldn't be ignored or accepted so you can carry on like nothing is happening.

Quite. I do not agree with the conclusion so I am going to change the facts.

In terms of that last bit some of the nonsense people who don't believe in covid come out with is crazy. They go on about there being no more deaths than normal and it's all made up. Then when someone points out there has indeed been a lot of excess deaths this year they try to blame it on the lockdown as if it wasn't needed and that covid had no factor in the excess deaths.