Facebook Draws / Competitions

Started by LC, January 28, 2023, 09:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

These seem as common as muck now, prizes seem unreal for the price of the ticket.  A bit dubious hence have not put my hand in pocket yet so to speak, has anyone any experience of these?

David McKeown

One of the organisers bought a family members house a few years back to offer as the prize. They were happy to allow a long time to complete but then pulled out when their previous competition for a house in Spain didn't do as well as expected.

We did a lot of research into them mind and the company and prizes were legit. It's real risk and reward for them mind. If they hit sales projections there's a lot of profit there but unlike the lottery the prize is fixed so if they don't they can lose big too.  I'm sure there are plenty of scammers out there too.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

quit yo jibbajabba

Know a boy won a 30k car couple years back. May have took the ££ in the end.

Hope i dont derail thread but what about yer woman on the Cash Call yesterday, said 30k so missed out on 50k as a result.....what a kick in the dick....

general_lee

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 28, 2023, 10:38:32 AM

Hope i dont derail thread but what about yer woman on the Cash Call yesterday, said 30k so missed out on 50k as a result.....what a kick in the dick....
Stupid f**ker! I get the weekly reminder off herself, enter the cash call! Not that I need reminding, and not that I'm going to win as I don't live in Bangor, Newtownabbey, Lisburn or east Belfast...

As for the competitions, the market is starting to get saturated I think. I used to enter now and again but haven't bothered. They're legit alright, I know people who have won from them. The competition for cars seem to fly out and I with relatively little risk involved they seem to be the real money spinners.

RedHand88

Quote from: general_lee on January 28, 2023, 11:20:04 AM

Stupid f**ker! I get the weekly reminder off herself, enter the cash call! Not that I need reminding, and not that I'm going to win as I don't live in Bangor, Newtownabbey, Lisburn or east Belfast...

As for the competitions, the market is starting to get saturated I think. I used to enter now and again but haven't bothered. They're legit alright, I know people who have won from them. The competition for cars seem to fly out and I with relatively little risk involved they seem to be the real money spinners.

Old neighbour of mine won a huge amount in it. Rural Tyrone.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: general_lee on January 28, 2023, 11:20:04 AM

Know the girl from Loughgiel direction who won 70k ish the xmas before last but aye in general the city area does well lol

Aye silly girl but hard not to feel sorry for her either that sorta mistake could put ye over the edge...

square_ball

Aidan Forker the Armagh player won £30k on it a year or two ago.

Itchy

Quote from: LC on January 28, 2023, 09:49:37 AM
These seem as common as muck now, prizes seem unreal for the price of the ticket.  A bit dubious hence have not put my hand in pocket yet so to speak, has anyone any experience of these?

I can tell you those car ones are real anyway, McKinley or whatever they are called. I know a fella won a car in them. Interesting model. The raffle a ridiculously have spec car, some young lad wins it. They cant afford the insurance. Company will ring him then and offer to buy it back at a much reduced price. Thats what happened to the lad I know anyway.

Rois

Quote from: David McKeown on January 28, 2023, 10:09:52 AM

We did a lot of research into them mind and the company and prizes were legit.
We've had a few legal opinions on a GAA-run one that suggest that they aren't strictly legal in NI, that new legislation was waiting or something, but not yet passed. It was probably 3 years ago at this stage that we looked into it.

Does your research suggest they are ok then?

tintin25

R Kings and McKinney Comps are probably two of the most popular and they are both legit.  However, noticed recently for alot of the car draws that tickets are like 99p and open to like 50 or 60,000 entrants....them odds are terrible.

David McKeown

Quote from: Rois on January 29, 2023, 10:11:41 AM

We've had a few legal opinions on a GAA-run one that suggest that they aren't strictly legal in NI, that new legislation was waiting or something, but not yet passed. It was probably 3 years ago at this stage that we looked into it.

That's kind of what I was hinting at.  They certainly aren't legal under current NI legislation.  For example they have discounts for buying more tickets.  That's not allowed.  It becomes a bit murkier though when they are run off shore.  When I say they are legit I mean they do own and have the prizes they are advertising available and the winners do get their winnings.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Milltown Row2

Was waiting on Big Logie phoniome last week for the motor home, first and last time entering lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

markl121

Quote from: David McKeown on January 29, 2023, 11:16:26 AM

That's kind of what I was hinting at.  They certainly aren't legal under current NI legislation.  For example they have discounts for buying more tickets.  That's not allowed.  It becomes a bit murkier though when they are run off shore.  When I say they are legit I mean they do own and have the prizes they are advertising available and the winners do get their winnings.
Is that illegal? That's near common practice for draws. 1 for a pound, 5 for 2 pound etc.

trailer

Quote from: markl121 on January 29, 2023, 05:56:14 PM

Is that illegal? That's near common practice for draws. 1 for a pound, 5 for 2 pound etc.

Totally legal and above board. R Kings and McKinney's are big business.

TyroneOnlooker

Quote from: trailer on January 30, 2023, 02:03:12 PM
Quote from: markl121 on January 29, 2023, 05:56:14 PM

Totally legal and above board. R Kings and McKinney's are big business.

These draws only became legal in NI last Spring with change to the betting laws. Before that completely illegal but there was no appetite to challenge them with changes incoming.