50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing

Started by BennyCake, July 19, 2019, 01:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

It's a bit hard to miss.

Where you around to see it on TV?

Are you mad interested in it or couldn't give a shite?

Did they even go to the moon at all?

What's your thoughts on it?

Taylor

Quote from: BennyCake on July 19, 2019, 01:14:20 PM
It's a bit hard to miss.

Where you around to see it on TV? Too young

Are you mad interested in it or couldn't give a shite? Have a passing interest in it

Did they even go to the moon at all? Honestly didnt think they did although reading up on it this week it seems they definitely did (can still see the footprints from the landing)

What's your thoughts on it? Why has no one landed on the moon since?

Captain Obvious

Their last breakfast of steak and eggs on the morning before blastoff on July 16, 1969

People in Toyko,Milan and even the Vatican watching on.

Farrandeelin

It's a bit hard to miss. - I suppose it is.

Were you around to see it on TV? - Not live, but I thought I saw it sometime someplace.

Are you mad interested or couldn't give a shite? - Couldn't give a shite. I'll never be going anyway.

Did they even go to the moon at all? - They said they did...

What's your thoughts on it? - See question 3s answer
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Shamrock Shore

Where you around to see it on TV? - too young. We may not even have had a telly in 1969.

Are you mad interested in it or couldn't give a shite? Very interested in astronomy.

Did they even go to the moon at all? Of course they did. Only loons think it was faked.

Like Armagh in 2002 it was a period that promised much but delivered very little in real terms after.

From the Bunker

It's a bit hard to miss.

Where you around to see it on TV? No

Are you mad interested in it or couldn't give a shite? Yes, have read a lot on it.

Did they even go to the moon at all? Hard to believe, 50 years ago we were very limited technology wise. The interview the lads held when they got back to earth was very subdued.

What's your thoughts on it? Strange once getting there was conquered, that nothing more happened! Maybe that was the goal and the cost/benefits of other projects did not add up.

BennyCake

I don't believe they did go to the moon, so I've taken very little interest in it.

They had to "return" though because it would look very suspect if they only "went" once, then stopped. They had to look like they knew what they were doing. Think the whole thing was a case of America strutting it's feathers.

RedHand88

It's a bit hard to miss.

Too young

Yea find it very interesting.

Yes, course they did. I'm not an idiot.

Massive technological achievement.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: BennyCake on July 19, 2019, 03:35:44 PM
I don't believe they did go to the moon, so I've taken very little interest in it.

They had to "return" though because it would look very suspect if they only "went" once, then stopped. They had to look like they knew what they were doing. Think the whole thing was a case of America strutting it's feathers.

And this all went ahead with the co-operation of the Soviet Union, in the middle of The Cold War, who were able to observe all missions? And the assistance of hundreds of NASA employees?
And the faking continues to this day as orbiting satellites can take pictures of the lunar modules that were left behind.

I hope you accept the Earth isn't flat!

RedHand88

There were just far far too many stakeholders in the operation for it to have been "faked", especially those from a civilian non-government or even non-american background. Tens of thousands overall. Theres no way that many people keep a secret for 50 years, even on their death bed.
Agencies all over the world tracked the Apollo astronauts on their journey there and back. On top of that, you can send a laser to reflectors on the moon to measure it's distance away, reflectors put in place by the Apollo astronauts.

You really think if the Russians had even a whiff of suspicion about the whole thing they wouldn't call them on it??

omaghjoe

It's a bit hard to miss.

Over a decade too late

Somewhat from a technological point of view mainly, which if you break if down was mostly fairly simple, but if you add it all together its massively complicated :-P. Scientifically there isn't much going on on the moon (apart from this stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3) essentially just a lump of rock

Do you mean our moon or a different moon

When all was said and done it was a massive propaganda exercise but was a massive achievement. Kinda like climbing Everest
When I was a cub I used to be fierce confused on how they got back off the moon if it took them so many massive rockets to get them there

Shamrock Shore

QuoteOn top of that, you can send a laser to reflectors on the moon to measure it's distance away, reflectors put in place by the Apollo astronauts.

In millions of years there will be no more total solar eclipses as the moon is moving away from the earth at the rate of approx. 4cm per annum.

J70

Very interested in this.

I am currently watching a three part documentary series on PBS which goes into the whole program in great detail, starting from Sputnik and the annexation of all those Nazi rocket scientists by the US and the Soviets, up through the Mercury and Gemini programmes which led into Apollo. For instance, I was not previous aware that Von Braun, the leader of the whole program in the US, was the same man who led the development of the V2 rocket for the Nazis. A lot of fascinating detail on the astronauts themselves, and stuff you would never think about like why is the NASA control centre in Houston (it was because the House committee chairman who controlled the purse strings insisted it be built in his district!). Footage of JFK talking about pulling the plug on the whole thing due to the cost and his personal lack of interest in the space programme. And interesting titbits like the fact that on Apollo 8, the first mission to actually go out to the moon and back (they didn't land), Frank Borman got sick and vomited and diarrhaead everywhere all over the interior of the astronaut module. They eventually got it cleaned up, but can you imagine travelling in those cramped conditions with that shit (literally!) floating around everywhere. They also show the intense public interest in the astronauts themselves and how NASA exploited that. On that same Apollo 8 mission, the news programmes were stationed in the homes of the wives, and had cameras stuck in their faces as they went through the agony of watching their husbands take off from Florida on the tip of basically giant ICBMs and later disappear behind the moon, something no one had ever done before.

Chasing the Moon
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/chasing-moon/

omaghjoe

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 19, 2019, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 19, 2019, 03:35:44 PM

And this all went ahead with the co-operation of the Soviet Union, in the middle of The Cold War, who were able to observe all missions? And the assistance of hundreds of NASA employees?
And the faking continues to this day as orbiting satellites can take pictures of the lunar modules that were left behind.

I hope you accept the Earth isn't flat!

To be fair even most flat earth theories dont accept the earth is flat

RedHand88

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2019, 04:06:24 PM
Very interested in this.

I am currently watching a three part documentary series on PBS which goes into the whole program in great detail, starting from Sputnik and the annexation of all those Nazi rocket scientists by the US and the Soviets, up through the Mercury and Gemini programmes which led into Apollo. For instance, I was not previous aware that Von Braun, the leader of the whole program in the US, was the same man who led the development of the V2 rocket for the Nazis. A lot of fascinating detail on the astronauts themselves, and stuff you would never think about like why is the NASA control centre in Houston (it was because the House committee chairman who controlled the purse strings insisted it be built in his district!). And interesting titbits like the fact that on Apollo 8, the first mission to actually go out to the moon and back (they didn't land), Frank Borman got sick and vomited and diarrhaead everywhere all over the interior of the astronaut module. They eventually got it cleaned up, but can you imagine travelling in those cramped conditions with that shit (literally!) floating around everywhere.

Chasing the Moon
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/chasing-moon/

Operation paperclip.