Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spirit0f91and94

These changes won't work - simple.
Couldn't understand something like 37 clubs voting for it either.
Crazy. It will be like the adult leagues - revert back in a few years.

johnneycool

Quote from: spirit0f91and94 on July 18, 2015, 05:18:23 PM
These changes won't work - simple.
Couldn't understand something like 37 clubs voting for it either.
Crazy. It will be like the adult leagues - revert back in a few years.

Three year pilot scheme IIRC

SamFever

Quote from: snoopdog on July 17, 2015, 01:40:16 PM
Hoganstand reporting the below
Jim McCorry's future as Down football manager is set to be decided at a meeting on Monday night.

The Irish News is reporting that clubs have been summoned to attend the meeting in Newcastle which will also discuss the U21 and minor management set-ups. Depending on the turnout, a vote could be taken on McCorry's position.
MCCorry survived by a slender margin while Shane Mulholland got a single vote supporting his retention. The powers-that-be recommended both be stood down.

Predictor

Havent been on in a while
Can anyone confirm to me that if a player is still u17 he cant play senior football like it is this year with u16 or has it changed???

SHEEDY

Quote from: SamFever on July 20, 2015, 10:55:51 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 17, 2015, 01:40:16 PM
Hoganstand reporting the below
Jim McCorry's future as Down football manager is set to be decided at a meeting on Monday night.

The Irish News is reporting that clubs have been summoned to attend the meeting in Newcastle which will also discuss the U21 and minor management set-ups. Depending on the turnout, a vote could be taken on McCorry's position.
MCCorry survived by a slender margin while Shane Mulholland got a single vote supporting his retention. The powers-that-be recommended both be stood down.
good to see everyone is united and pulling in the same direction, bodes well for 2016. Somehow I think we'll be back here in 12 months having another inquest. Hope I'm wrong.
nil satis nisi optimum

rosskarr

Anyone know how close the vote was? Seemd thevBoard wanted rid of both and the rest agreed for Mulholland but went against them to keep McCorry. Hardly good for McCorry now that he knows the bosses didn't want him to continue. If I were him I'd walk under this scenario.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 30, 2014, 04:32:15 PM
Well done to the Point- a much needed boost for Down football- first provincial men's football title since when ?

As for the County panel goings on, it's a hard one to call. Mc Corry will be his own man and most successful managers have to be single minded- we didn't put him into that job to be a consensus builder but rather to get results. I can see why he would want to put his stamp on things as he will be virtually unsackable for probably the first two years so can afford to lay down the law with experienced players. However, I don't think we can do without some of these men . Dan Gordon is one of the best ever Down footballers who doesn't have either an All Ireland or an All Star. Kalum King does the important things well and brings physical presence to a relatively small team. Dan Mc Cartan is still one of our better defenders. Marty Clarke is a supreme talent in a squad of mediocrity. I accept injuries have taken their toll on Ambrose but, when fit, he the complete footballer. Liam Doyle has had no luck with injuries so probably is time to quit and enough has been said about Benny.
My view is that there must be a way to accommodate at least half of these men otherwise it will be a tough 2015.
My opinion hasn't changed since November but I think the delegates were right to give McCorry another year. I am surprised that the executive wanted him out; doesn't say a lot about their integrity given that they put him in and, against all the odds, he got us into the first division. Clearly the executive only care about the championship.
We can't have a lame duck manager so the county board must give him unequivocal support or rosskarr's scenario will come to pass.
Just so that we're clear where we are;
Ulster Championship; We lose to Derry, who lose to Donegal, who lose to Monaghan.
Qualifiers; we lose to Wexford, who lose to Derry, who lose to Galway.

NP 76

Looks like Courtney got what he wanted with the minor management

snoopdog

Does he have the support of the players?
will he make them commit again in october November? Will he bring the experienced guys back to the fold?
The league is going to be really really tough, all big teams in Div 1 and we seen against an average roscommon and Meath last year what they could do to Down.
Its highly possible we will lose all games if we start with the same group of players and no real system like this year.
Like others if he doesnt have the full support then he should walk, but sure he is getting paid to do a job so i cant see him walking.

Minor management change is no shock. who would be favourite for that? would Cathal Murray be in the running?

supersub

McCorry has the support of the players and that is the main thing. Everything else is peripheral, heresay and noise. Let them get on with it.

superblues

How do u no he has the support of the players surly the clubs that voted no would of ask any players involved What they thought

supersub

Do you really think the club's asked their players? I'd say most players don't even know who their county board rep is.

meatsy86

Not only that, does each clubs County board rep speak for the opinion of the majority of those on every clubs committees? You can be rest assured that the opinions of those on the committees of every club in down were not represented at that vote last night in Newcastle.

superblues

Surly every club would of had a meeting to decide which way to vote and spoke to players involved would that not be the right thing to do . And supersub you still never said how you know the players are behind him

rosskarr

Quote from: superblues on July 21, 2015, 12:14:05 PM
Surly every club would of had a meeting to decide which way to vote and spoke to players involved would that not be the right thing to do . And supersub you still never said how you know the players are behind him
The last County board meeting was on July 9th so I would think there wouldn't have been too many meetings within Clubs over the 12th July holiday period.