Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 31, 2021, 03:48:33 PM
More worried about how ineffective McKenna has been so far, should be getting much more out of him than we have so far.  Darragh Canavan looks good but Mark Bradley is a similar type of player who has that bit more know-how at this stage.  Surprised to see him getting so little time so far.  Things to work on:

- Kickouts
- McKenna involvement
- Frees/45s
- Discipline (cant afford one ten minute period with a man less never mind multiple periods)
- need to keep working on creating/scoring goals, hoping Saturday wasn't a one-off.
Very very strange why Mark Bradley is so far away from things. Sign of a good team maybe that he is so far down the pecking order but surely he is well worth getting 15 20 minutes every game. Him Canavan McShane and McCann are serious impact men, add in a potentially returning Rory Brennan, that is 5 brilliant options to bring in.
Could be very important with how Mayo are performing in second halfs all season.

Under Lights

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on September 01, 2021, 10:27:46 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 31, 2021, 03:48:33 PM
More worried about how ineffective McKenna has been so far, should be getting much more out of him than we have so far.  Darragh Canavan looks good but Mark Bradley is a similar type of player who has that bit more know-how at this stage.  Surprised to see him getting so little time so far.  Things to work on:

- Kickouts
- McKenna involvement
- Frees/45s
- Discipline (cant afford one ten minute period with a man less never mind multiple periods)
- need to keep working on creating/scoring goals, hoping Saturday wasn't a one-off.
Very very strange why Mark Bradley is so far away from things. Sign of a good team maybe that he is so far down the pecking order but surely he is well worth getting 15 20 minutes every game. Him Canavan McShane and McCann are serious impact men, add in a potentially returning Rory Brennan, that is 5 brilliant options to bring in.
Could be very important with how Mayo are performing in second halfs all season.

The same Mark Bradley that started the Ulster Final?

RedHand88

Are the kickouts something to worry about? Is it possible tyrone didn't mind conceding the kickout because it would lead to kerry running possession into trouble and an inevitable tyrone turnover and score?

HokeyPokey

I think so. I think it was also a big factor in tiring them out. They were able to run up to about half way, but were then hassled and harried. Kerry didn't get many scores from them and would have sapped a lot of energy bringing the ball forward and also leaving that space behind them.

I think the reason we went so long was also for the same reason. Yes, we lost a few, but it was further from danger and plenty of men set and facing the ball.

I think the game sort of reminded me of Tyrone against 2009 where they conceded the kickouts too. I think even Morgan gave an interview where he said his kickouts are all about trying to set up a platform for a score, retention isn't that important if you aren't working scores.

Goals_Will_Come

Joe McQuillan refereeing the Final. Pray for Tyrone.

nrico2006

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 01, 2021, 12:46:32 PM
Are the kickouts something to worry about? Is it possible tyrone didn't mind conceding the kickout because it would lead to kerry running possession into trouble and an inevitable tyrone turnover and score?

I can't imagine thats true.  Far too risky to be at that craic,  Kerry had too many sniffs of goal and its something I would hope is tightened up on for the final.  Additionally, I would hope/imagine Tyrone should even improve on fitness, intensity etc. for the final given the two weeks training they will have as well as the fact that they are 2 weeks further recovered from COVID.

What did Mark Bradley do that was so bad in the Ulster Final?  If we are going to permanently bench every player who has ever had a bad game, there wouldn't be any players left to start the final.  Some fans are very fickle, Bradley has been a brilliant player for Tyrone but has never had a consistent run given various reasons.  I think of the criticism dished out so easily to our players over the years and it seems to take forever for some folk to change their opinions.  I'm thinking of Colm Cavanagh, Harte, McShane and McGeary etc.  Is Bradley next on the hit-list?

As for the block, brilliant piece of play from a brilliant player but not as good as Gormleys block, from either a technical, timing or significance perspective.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mikhailov

In my opinion Mark Bradley is a super player. Had a very good Ulster final and Monaghan found it hard to handle his movement. It seems it is a straight choice between him & Dazzler for a starting place. There is not much in it (if anything at all) but Dazzler has been on form to date but was a bit ropey last Sunday.

Going to be impossible to put Dazzler off the starting team now but for sure Bradley is a more than adequate replacement if need be.

Jim Bob

Dazzler had 2 men hanging off him every time the ball was put to him...that freed up another Tyrone attacker.

rrhf

Quote from: WT4E on August 31, 2021, 04:21:07 PM
What a servant Petey Harte is.

I've been on here a while and boys have been calling him 'the nephew' and taking shots at him over the years but he has been so reliable.

He's done everything asked of him over the years and any position he's played he's played well (nearly them all at this stage) The only time he has been poor in games is when the opposition decide to target him but with more options now that's a thing of the past.

AND WHAT A BLOCK .... better than Gormleys and that takes some doing!

Peter Harte has been an immense player for Tyrone throughout the years. This year has been his best year yet... from the Cavan game his running and work off the ball has been as impressive and unselfish as his work on the ball. Last week we seen that the opposition intimidation no longer works against him but referees are watching for it.  He received a horrific tackle against Mayo in an aisf which put him out of the game, a few years ago, not dissimilar to the Dublin tackle against Mayo in the semi final and got no protection from the referee either that day. 

Jayop

Quote from: Jim Bob on September 01, 2021, 04:31:10 PM
Dazzler had 2 men hanging off him every time the ball was put to him...that freed up another Tyrone attacker.

Exactly and he still stuck to his task and came up with 4 points. No way he doesn't start.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: Jayop on September 01, 2021, 04:40:39 PM

Exactly and he still stuck to his task and came up with 4 points. No way he doesn't start.

He showed mental strength to stick at it, it's also shows Dooher/Logan have backed him. Harte would have hooked him.

tyrone08

Quote from: HokeyPokey on September 01, 2021, 04:59:33 PM

He showed mental strength to stick at it, it's also shows Dooher/Logan have backed him. Harte would have hooked him.

I found it a bit strange for some people to have criticised him  in that game. He won most of the ball put into him in the 1st half. The issue was the poor quality of the ball in. It was either too high or on the ground. Bt the time he got the ball 2 men were at times literally on him.

For McCurry or Bradley they need chest high balls in so they can either turn and shoot or off load it quickly before the defenders can get to them.

Haven't really seen too much of mcshane and either McCurry /Bradley together. Has the potential to be a really high scoring forward line.

Mikhailov

Dazzler with McShane would be some inside front line. Would be a serious threat.

My point was answering an earlier poster who asked why Bradley is not getting more game time. Bradley is top quality but will not shift Dazzler at the moment

However, he is a more than adequate replacement if Dazzler has to be replaced during the game due to injury or whatever. As much as I would love to see it, I don't think we will see McShane, Bradley, Dazzler, McKenna and Mattie ever start on the same forward line.

We need to keep at least one in reserve to insure we have a strong dangerous forward line on the pitch at the end

Jayop

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 01, 2021, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: HokeyPokey on September 01, 2021, 04:59:33 PM

I found it a bit strange for some people to have criticised him  in that game. He won most of the ball put into him in the 1st half. The issue was the poor quality of the ball in. It was either too high or on the ground. Bt the time he got the ball 2 men were at times literally on him.

For McCurry or Bradley they need chest high balls in so they can either turn and shoot or off load it quickly before the defenders can get to them.

Haven't really seen too much of mcshane and either McCurry /Bradley together. Has the potential to be a really high scoring forward line.

Same with the ball into all our forwards really. They got out infront regularly but the balls was just off.

nrico2006

True and he has been our best forward this year but he could have cost us the game with a completely unnecessary black card.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'