Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyroneforsam

Quote from: skeog on February 26, 2018, 08:54:17 AM
He is never going to make an impact from play he is on to hit frees.

He's worth carrying to hit frees.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Snapchap on February 26, 2018, 12:33:57 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on February 26, 2018, 12:22:26 AM
Paddy Tally seems to be having a real impact with Galway, since he got involved with their setup. Obviously influential in our 1st All Ireland and guided an unfancied St Mary's side to the Sigerson last year. That's my answer to the question if Harte goes who do you replace him with.

Was there a fallout between MH and PT? Why did they part company? It's a story I missed.

And I take your point that we don't pay TTM for the service they provide but we can still be critical if there is an opinion the service could be improved. They put themselves in the public domain so comments will follow. Mickey didn't do an interview with BBC this week, are they now on the banned list they only got O'Rourke. All I would want from TTM is a few straight forward questions.

Where did it go wrong Mickey?
Do you feel changes are required to our approach?
Sean Cavanagh has questioned the team confidence and system, how would you respond that that?

And when Harte takes issue on day 1 of such a line of questioning and TTM are denied access to Harte and the players, what good will TTM be to you then for county coverage?

No harm I'd prefer they got access to the players and management than not have access to them.

P.s. Agree re. Tally. A seriously good coach. However he has got Galway playing a very defensive style of football. I suspect it will only take them so far.

I agree it's good to hear from the players and management after the game and media access is now part and parcel with today's inter county teams. But it's pointless if there's a fear that a tough question will result in a media ban. Only ask me the questions I want to be asked is hardly great journalism. MH has to be accountable for the setup of the team and then be able to explain the thought process behind that. What adds no value is Noel or Kevin summarising where they think the game went wrong then allowing MH to agree with that. They have a Wednesday night show that can deal with their thoughts around the games.

I wasn't in favor of MH getting his extension last year but I've accepted the democratic process and know he will be with us for a further 2 years at least after this one.  But he still has to be accountable for his actions and the actions of the team. I don't think there is a club or club  delegate that will bring a motion to remove him.

bringing a soccer analogy into it is this what it feels like to support Arsenal. Once a man that could do no wrong and now stuck in his ways?
Living the dream!!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 26, 2018, 08:28:43 AM
It's surprising how much some people read into the league. I'll be judging Harte and Tyrone on the championship game versus Monaghan not the league one. It's always very difficult to know where a team is at until the championship starts. Last year we left Ballybofey after a hammering and it looked like we had no hope in ulster. Donegal and Monaghan were being hyped up based on the league, yet come championship Tyrone walked through ulster. In recent years Roscommon were very fit early in the league and flying and completely flopped come championship. It could easily happen Galway too.

Tyrone have actually lost to the top 3 teams so far, the only concern is Mayo and Kerry usually improve as the league goes on. Although you don't read too much into the league you certainly don't want to get relegated so the next few games are important.

A worry for me is the lack of new players coming in and laying down a claim for a place on the team. So far McKernan has showed well and Brennan has done well from the frees but that's probably it. We definitely have pushed up more at times during this years league (though we did start very defensively on Saturday) and when we do are defenders have been shown up one on one. We don't have top class markers or a top forward that can win his own ball and kick a score like McManus. Harte is trying to work round this.

What annoyed me at times on Saturday night in the first half was that we don't seem to have learned from last year on kickouts. On the Momaghan kick out we half pushed up and tried to zonal mark. There was always a player free and they got the kickout out easy. And then they had space to work it up the pitch and work a score. It's so frustrating when Tyrone score that they let the opposition out so easy as you can't build up any momentum in a game and get a spell of quick scores. On the other hand Monaghan often pressurised our kickouts and we struggled to win the ball in the middle. We did push up at times in the second half with more success.

Having said all that the difference on Saturday night was not Harte or his tactics, that's an easy excuse from the usual people. The difference was in the second half when the game was in the melting pot Monaghan took their chances and the Tyrone forwards missed theirs or kicked the ball away. We also had at least 3 or 4 goal opportunities or opportunities to work a goal that were messed up.

I'd agree with this, the league isn't the be all and end of - still shadow boxing at this stage but you'd have to worry about giving Monaghan that bit of belief and boost - Tyrone seemed to have their number prior to Saturday night.

Perversely, with Tyrone now fighting relegation, they'll have a few 'championship' games coming up before that game. Who knows they might stumble upon something or sharpen the team up.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Snapchap on February 26, 2018, 12:33:57 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on February 26, 2018, 12:22:26 AM
Paddy Tally seems to be having a real impact with Galway, since he got involved with their setup. Obviously influential in our 1st All Ireland and guided an unfancied St Mary's side to the Sigerson last year. That's my answer to the question if Harte goes who do you replace him with.

Was there a fallout between MH and PT? Why did they part company? It's a story I missed.

And I take your point that we don't pay TTM for the service they provide but we can still be critical if there is an opinion the service could be improved. They put themselves in the public domain so comments will follow. Mickey didn't do an interview with BBC this week, are they now on the banned list they only got O'Rourke. All I would want from TTM is a few straight forward questions.

Where did it go wrong Mickey?
Do you feel changes are required to our approach?
Sean Cavanagh has questioned the team confidence and system, how would you respond that that?

And when Harte takes issue on day 1 of such a line of questioning and TTM are denied access to Harte and the players, what good will TTM be to you then for county coverage?

No harm I'd prefer they got access to the players and management than not have access to them.

P.s. Agree re. Tally. A seriously good coach. However he has got Galway playing a very defensive style of football. I suspect it will only take them so far.

I don't believe Galway have the talent that Tyrone have to work with so they are pulling out the big results and yes its league and the time to stand up is the championship. I was simply putting forward the suggestion often asked of those in support of MH who would he be replaced with.  Paddy Tally is a man I would like to see give the job for a few years after Mickey.
Living the dream!!!

southtyronegael

interesting to see mc gleenans cavan put themselves in with a big shout of promotion. playing some lovely attacking football by all accounts.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 26, 2018, 11:56:41 AM
interesting to see mc gleenans cavan put themselves in with a big shout of promotion. playing some lovely attacking football by all accounts.

Rumours of his demise at Cavan proving to be greatly exaggerated.

BennyHarp

I think people are being a bit harsh on Lee Brennan. There was such a clamour go get him involved that he was never going to live up to the hype. Yes he struggled from play on Saturday night but we didn't move the ball quickly enough against a defensive team and I feel he needs a ball winner in there with him so he can feed off and pick up possession off the loop to get a shot away. If we think he is going to be primary ball winner and scorer in chief then I think we are asking too much. I'd definitely persevere with him - there isn't a player in the squad that I would rather have in possession one on one with the goalkeeper.
That was never a square ball!!

driveherin

If 'the Beard' wasn't getting paid as much as he is, do you think he'd resign?
He is well past his sell by date! No fresh ideas, man management, personality...

southtyronegael

why the f**k are people being hard on lee brennan? who was the last tyrone player to kick 8 points in a game, even from frees? not brennans fault tyrone are still playing shite unimaginative football. people looking for scapegoats and it seems everyones gettin the blame exept the manager. and no he would never resign, he thinks he is doin a great job. so do the lads at ttm and a few on here. 3 yr contract, total control of players and nobody with the balls to stand up to him. mickey is laughing all the way to the bank....

bigtogs

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 26, 2018, 01:06:01 PM
why the f**k are people being hard on lee brennan? who was the last tyrone player to kick 8 points in a game, even from frees? not brennans fault tyrone are still playing shite unimaginative football. people looking for scapegoats and it seems everyones gettin the blame exept the manager. and no he would never resign, he thinks he is doin a great job. so do the lads at ttm and a few on here. 3 yr contract, total control of players and nobody with the balls to stand up to him. mickey is laughing all the way to the bank....

Mickey does not  get paid  sure....

Helpline

Tyrone has been clinging onto the glory days hype for the past 10 years, if the decline and lack of success had occurred more dramatically then changes would have been implemented by now and the ascent would have begun.Looks like Tyrone are going to have to hit rock bottom before things change, ie relegation and knocked out first round of Ulster might be what the powers to be need.
The first half was even, the second half was even worse

bgal10

By some of the chat on here you would think Tyrone are floating around the bottom of division 3 with first round exits from the championship for the last 10 years....
We still have 3 games left in the league to consolidate our Division 1 status...comment about relegation etc once the league is over.
We are going for 3 ulster titles in a row (something no tyrone team has ever achieved);
We have got to the semi-finals 3 of the past 5 years.

Yes it could be better if we were able to reach all ireland finals again and maybe win them but in case people weren't aware, they're not easy to come by.
Things could be a lot, lot worse in Tyrone.

longballin

Things have been a lot worse but Tyrone now have sights on greater things. Fact remains haven't beat any of top teams Dublin, Mayo or Kerry in championship since 2008. Unfortunately perhaps success from 2003 to 2008 has led to greater aspirations than winning Ulster. It got to a stage Tyrone barely celebrated winning Ulster like in 2009 and 2010 but then the well ran dry and appreaciated it again.

twenty one yard free

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 26, 2018, 01:06:01 PM

The last man I think to better that tally was Kyle Coney when he hit 0:09 agin Cork in Pairc Uí Rinn in 2014 , we could be doing with him back in the red n white jersey at present

southtyronegael

Quote from: under the bar on February 25, 2018, 11:42:24 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 25, 2018, 11:03:37 PM
f**k up snapchat, did i not say it was noel mc ginn? joke of an interview. total mickey ass lickers. quicker the whole lot of them are chased the better, especially harte.
So what's your club south Tyrone Gael?
errigal ciaran