Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: Legoman5 on April 07, 2017, 11:06:19 AM

Lots of players where excelling and never got call ups.. The reason Ricey got it was because Canavan went to Harte and advised him to call him up!! Yes he completly justified it and was a great player before and after the call up but who's to say Harte would have called him up!! Many great players down the years and even present havent got a call up

Ricey was already there before Harte got the job. His debut was in 2002.

teaminamillion

Quote from: vallankumous on April 07, 2017, 11:08:01 AM

Lots of players where excelling and never got call ups.. The reason Ricey got it was because Canavan went to Harte and advised him to call him up!! Yes he completly justified it and was a great player before and after the call up but who's to say Harte would have called him up!! Many great players down the years and even present havent got a call up

Ricey was already there before Harte got the job. His debut was in 2002.
2001 ricey was half back on the Ulster winning team and lets not forget when Mickey dropped him for the championship 03 in favour of Mickey McGee who was destroyed by paddy Bradley! The ironic thing is on riceys laochra gael tribute who was stuck on the screen talking about him? Mickey and Mark harte ffs lol!!People on here are quick to rewrite history!

square_ball

teaminamillion

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 07, 2017, 08:32:49 AM
Quote from: teaminamillion on April 07, 2017, 07:31:35 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 07, 2017, 06:51:35 AM
Quote from: longballin on April 06, 2017, 07:31:52 PM
Quote from: tothetop03 on April 06, 2017, 05:41:01 PM
i think the Ridiculing of Harte should ease off... i not a fan...but the man should be given the rest of the championship and i will judge were we are then...he overseen 3 All Ireland wins... I watched Tyrone 70's 80's and 90's and i thought i would never 1 great day in september never mind 3.....so for the time being dont forget the memories and go easier on the present....

would have been hard not to win an All Ireland with those players

Not sure many other men than Mickey Harte would have got Tyrone across the line. There was a great team in the mid-90"s too, no Sam Maguire then.

lets just cast our minds back too 2001 and 2002, the years prior to Mickey Harte getting the Tyrone job. In 2001 Tyrone were playing great football with a young eoin mulligan kicking a big score v the dubs in Parnell park while on course to winning a very first national title and then bang they were put out of the competition because of the foot and mouth crisis. Unreal! Of course they went on to win Ulster and beat Armagh on the way. Having played Derry and beating them already in the Ulster semi final they had too play them again in the All Ireland quarter final which was a bit sickening to say the least and were subsequently defeated by a fired up Derry team. 2002 they won the league for the first time(well done Art/Eugene) playing class football. The Sligo match was a case of taking their eye off the ball. It was right and proper Mickey Harte was afforded the chance to take Tyrone in 2003, but no mistake about it Tyrone were gonna win an All Ireland that year for it didn't matter who was gonna be there!! Mickey stated later on their was not much tactics went into Tyrone, he just trusted the players to go out and do their stuff. Lets not get too carried about the manager please. Tyrone in the 1990s did NOT have a great team. Certainly they had one unbelievable footballer who done the job of a black taxi alright!

All Ireland's don't just happen. No team just wins a championship. If you believe this then seriously you must have literally no experience of competitive sport at any level. And even if your nonsense was correct and maybe, just maybe you win one All Ireland, you definitely don't win three. So make your point about what's happening today, there are plenty who agree, but it's utter nonsense to claim Mickey wasn't a key component in 2003, 2005 and 2008.
well you can just win a championship cos generally that's what teams do when they win a championship! Lol. I do worry about todays Tyrone and the 2000 days before it lol

seanmc123

Quote from: vallankumous on April 07, 2017, 10:53:57 AM
Ricey is the only one responsible for making the Tyrone team. He forced his own way onto it. Anyone who had an interest in club football at the time could see he was excelling.

shows how much you know. It was Art managing the first year Ricey came in

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 07, 2017, 09:24:59 AM
Quote from: longballin on April 07, 2017, 09:05:58 AM
Quote from: vallankumous on April 07, 2017, 08:46:14 AM
Quote from: longballin on April 07, 2017, 08:38:44 AM
Quote from: vallankumous on April 07, 2017, 08:04:06 AM

That's more than a little childish.

Go through the team, was incredible talent... should have won more. They never had a range of players like that before. Watch and see now what happens when Sean Cavanagh leaves... only Mattie and Petie would have made that team 2003 to 2008.

You make the point that it was hard not to win with those players then point out when they didn't win. What happened? Was it easy to win when they won and difficult when they lost?
I am familiar with the team.
All those players will give Mickey Harte an important place in those wins.
So much so that both winning Captains said it in their speeches.

Point is it was hard not to win All Irelands with that group of players. Unlikely any team will win seven or eight in a row but you could have rolled that team out of a bag...

To win one is ok, to win three is an amazing achievement. Maintaining desire, motivation, relationships, fitness etc etc (not to mention managing the aftermath of some huge tragedies) over a prolonged period of time is a skill of management that guys like you who just turn up to matches now and again clearly have no idea about. And believe me, if those great players thought Mickey was a bluffer, there's is no way he would have lasted in the job! So clearly you know better than them it would seem.

He was given a royal flush. Like how many years was he with the minors without any success until this great squad came along...

vallankumous

Quote from: longballin on April 07, 2017, 02:26:41 PM

He was given a royal flush. Like how many years was he with the minors without any success until this great squad came along...

I think he won Ulster in 1992 or 93 but open to correction.

BennyHarp

Quote from: vallankumous on April 07, 2017, 02:27:40 PM
Quote from: longballin on April 07, 2017, 02:26:41 PM

I think he won Ulster in 1992 or 93 but open to correction.

He won in 1993, but sure he had Brian Dooher, Gerard Cavlan and Collie Holmes - how could he not??
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

Remember how Armagh were knocking on the door of an AI for a few years prior to 2002 with  Brian McAlinden and Brian Canavan in charge. After losing to Kerry in 2000, the players decided they wanted the pair to step down but they stood firm and remained on for another year.

Then big Joe came in in 2002 and he was the difference to push them over the line. I thought it was strange how the same thing happened to Tyrone with the new man taking them over the line and we've seen that happen quite a bit since then.
I'm not convinced Tyrone would have beaten Kerry in that semifinal in 2003 had Harte not been in charge.

Club boi

Kerry or Dublin dont be long giving a manager the old heeve hoe if they dont win AI, simple as that. Harte has had 8 unsuccesful years now. Unfortunatly time to go. A new voice might just get them over the finish line cause I do believe the players are there

Mikhailov

Quote from: teaminamillion on April 07, 2017, 01:24:16 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 07, 2017, 08:32:49 AM
Quote from: teaminamillion on April 07, 2017, 07:31:35 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 07, 2017, 06:51:35 AM
Quote from: tothetop03 on April 06, 2017, 05:41:01 PM
i think the Ridiculing of Harte should ease off... i not a fan...but the man should be given the rest of the championship and i will judge were we are then...he overseen 3 All Ireland wins... I watched Tyrone 70's 80's and 90's and i thought i would never 1 great day in september never mind 3.....so for the time being dont forget the memories and go easier on the present....

Not sure many other men than Mickey Harte would have got Tyrone across the line. There was a great team in the mid-90"s too, no Sam Maguire then.

lets just cast our minds back too 2001 and 2002, the years prior to Mickey Harte getting the Tyrone job. In 2001 Tyrone were playing great football with a young eoin mulligan kicking a big score v the dubs in Parnell park while on course to winning a very first national title and then bang they were put out of the competition because of the foot and mouth crisis. Unreal! Of course they went on to win Ulster and beat Armagh on the way. Having played Derry and beating them already in the Ulster semi final they had too play them again in the All Ireland quarter final which was a bit sickening to say the least and were subsequently defeated by a fired up Derry team. 2002 they won the league for the first time(well done Art/Eugene) playing class football. The Sligo match was a case of taking their eye off the ball. It was right and proper Mickey Harte was afforded the chance to take Tyrone in 2003, but no mistake about it Tyrone were gonna win an All Ireland that year for it didn't matter who was gonna be there!! Mickey stated later on their was not much tactics went into Tyrone, he just trusted the players to go out and do their stuff. Lets not get too carried about the manager please. Tyrone in the 1990s did NOT have a great team. Certainly they had one unbelievable footballer who done the job of a black taxi alright!
[/b]
All Ireland's don't just happen. No team just wins a championship. If you believe this then seriously you must have literally no experience of competitive sport at any level. And even if your nonsense was correct and maybe, just maybe you win one All Ireland, you definitely don't win three. So make your point about what's happening today, there are plenty who agree, but it's utter nonsense to claim Mickey wasn't a key component in 2003, 2005 and 2008.
well you can just win a championship cos generally that's what teams do when they win a championship! Lol. I do worry about todays Tyrone and the 2000 days before it lol

bit harsh to be honest. Canavan was the best player in Ireland in that period, that was never in doubt and carried Tyrone to a high level. However, that team from early 90's played in an era of straight KO (no back door crap) and the first 4 AI's of the 90's all came from Ulster (Down, Derry, Donegal and Down again) so it was a tough Ulster championship to compete in. They just fell short in '95 and '96 after winning consecutive Ulster titles and were the first Ulster team in over 20 years to do so and arguably would have won an AI in that period if there was a back door system (which I think is a farce anyway). There were a few serious operators in that Tyrone era apart from Canavan but he was without doubt the best player in Ireland in that period and was over a 10 year period and rightly gained all the plaudits - end of !!!

teaminamillion

Just looking at this weeks Tyrone/Ulster herald about the senior teamj you d think every thing was rosey in the garden and "Mickey has a bit of work to do but he will get it right yet" bullshit. Frank Rodgers and big packie would need to wake up and stop sitting on the fence. Unfortunately in Tyrone theres too many loyal to the man and not the county! They wouldn't have it in Kerry nor Dublin so why here?

Íseal agus crua isteach a

Quote from: teaminamillion on April 07, 2017, 07:44:15 PM
Just looking at this weeks Tyrone/Ulster herald about the senior teamj you d think every thing was rosey in the garden and "Mickey has a bit of work to do but he will get it right yet" bullshit. Frank Rodgers and big packie would need to wake up and stop sitting on the fence. Unfortunately in Tyrone theres too many loyal to the man and not the county! They wouldn't have it in Kerry nor Dublin so why here?

Why don't you arrange to meet Micky and share with him you're wisdom. No point complaining here because you obviously feel very strongly about it.

teaminamillion

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on April 07, 2017, 07:48:24 PM
Quote from: teaminamillion on April 07, 2017, 07:44:15 PM

Why don't you arrange to meet Micky and share with him you're wisdom. No point complaining here because you obviously feel very strongly about it.
my wise words would be, please step down, thank you and goodbye.

ose 14

whilst team in a million and stg are strongly anti-mickey they do raise an interesting point re media. the ulster herald post john carney have never written anything that would in anyway ruffle feathers. the irish news has always taken a pro ulster we need to sell papers approach to honouring mickey and the past. id love to see an article in the irish news that doesent mention 3 time all ireland winning blah blah.