Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 14, 2017, 04:06:28 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 14, 2017, 03:52:02 PM
This year has been going good, however, this isnt directly due to Sean and Mattie in FF. I am struggling to think one score that came from early, long ball into them. Would this be correct?

Now I'm not saying this should be abandoned as I think it's the right way to go. Maybe their presence is causing teams to focus more energy to cover them and allowing more space out the field.

Sunday was the first time it was tried with the two of them on so I think it'll need a bit more time to see how it works out. There is no way they'll both stay in there for full games but they can be moved in an out. On Sunday Mattie scored a point but I think he won another 3 frees which were scored. He needs to work on what he does when he gets the ball but he definitely got his hands on a lot more ball than some of our full forward line usually do.

Donnelly will never be as influential in there as he is out the pitch but the question is can we afford to let one of our best players play a more sporadic role in the hope he can be decisive in that time.

That's really what needs to be figured out at the minute. Using Donnelly inside will likely mean an opportunity for the likes of Meyler, McGeary, McClure, McNulty etc so if they grab their chance and contribute significantly then I think it may be something worth persevering with.

I think Meyler has been brilliant so far and if he keeps it up deserves a starting spot, McClure also at the minute but bigger challenges lie ahead.

lenny

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 14, 2017, 10:54:25 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/red-hand-on-hunt-for-goals-with-donnelly-experiment-35528312.html

Are we changing our style? Are we hitting in more long balls the last few games?

Good to see and I think Harte is finally beginning to listen to some of the lads on here who have been very vocal in criticising the horrible style of play over the last few years. I have saying for a few years now that tyrone are far too one dimensional to be competing against the big teams. Also good to see that harte is man enough to admit that he has been wrong and to change the style of play. Unlike some of his diehard supporters on here who could never bring themselves to criticise him when a blind man could see the obvious faults.

thewobbler

Tyrone folks, I noticed there was a huge turnover in players between your u21 team last night and when those fellas were minors in 2014.

Tyrone minors 2014 - P O'Neill, D Mullan, P O'Neill, N Kelly, E McGarrity [0-2], R Quinn, R Samir, R Nugent [0-1], M Quinn [0-2], P McAnenly [0-2], C McKenna [0-3], J Darcy [0-1], L Brennan [0-4], C O'Hagan, F McClure [1-1]. Subs – K Coney for R Quinn, J Lafferty [0-1] for Brennan, R Coleman for McKenna, C McLernon [0-1] for O'Hagan, B Kennedy for Nugent

Tyrone u21 2017 – B Gallen, N Kelly, P Teague, C Shields, L Rafferty (0-1), M McKernan, F Meenagh (0-1), B O'Donnell, R Loughran, M O'Neill (0-1), D Mulgrew (0-4), N Donnelly (0-1), L Brennan (0-3, 2f, 1 "45"), B Kennedy, P Donaghy (0-1). Subs – C McLernon (0-1) for Kennedy, J Harkin (0-1) for O'Donnell, E McNabb for Donaghy, R Coleman for Loughran (black card), Donaghy for O'Neill, P McAnenly for Mulgrew

2 starters remain: Kelly corner back, Brennan corner forward. McAnenly came in as a sub last night and started in 2014. Coleman and McLernon subs on both matches.

David Mulgrew was injured in 2014 or would have started.

---

It surely couldn't be normal for 16 out of 22 faces to change in such a short period of time - especially as team 1 were talented enough to destroy Down within 10 minutes of throw in.

Anyone explain the turnover?

Bring back club football

In Omagh watching the match last night. Hoped to see good game. What rubbish. That'll do me for county games. What is these super coaches doing with these cubs kept under lock and key for months???? And as for all the men cryin bout harte and looking the u21 managers installed - you'd just be getting even more negative garbage!!!!!!!!

LeoMc

Quote from: thewobbler on March 16, 2017, 07:30:48 AM
Tyrone folks, I noticed there was a huge turnover in players between your u21 team last night and when those fellas were minors in 2014.

Tyrone minors 2014 - P O'Neill, D Mullan, P O'Neill, N Kelly, E McGarrity [0-2], R Quinn, R Samir, R Nugent [0-1], M Quinn [0-2], P McAnenly [0-2], C McKenna [0-3], J Darcy [0-1], L Brennan [0-4], C O'Hagan, F McClure [1-1]. Subs – K Coney for R Quinn, J Lafferty [0-1] for Brennan, R Coleman for McKenna, C McLernon [0-1] for O'Hagan, B Kennedy for Nugent

Tyrone u21 2017 – B Gallen, N Kelly, P Teague, C Shields, L Rafferty (0-1), M McKernan, F Meenagh (0-1), B O'Donnell, R Loughran, M O'Neill (0-1), D Mulgrew (0-4), N Donnelly (0-1), L Brennan (0-3, 2f, 1 "45"), B Kennedy, P Donaghy (0-1). Subs – C McLernon (0-1) for Kennedy, J Harkin (0-1) for O'Donnell, E McNabb for Donaghy, R Coleman for Loughran (black card), Donaghy for O'Neill, P McAnenly for Mulgrew

2 starters remain: Kelly corner back, Brennan corner forward. McAnenly came in as a sub last night and started in 2014. Coleman and McLernon subs on both matches.

David Mulgrew was injured in 2014 or would have started.

---

It surely couldn't be normal for 16 out of 22 faces to change in such a short period of time - especially as team 1 were talented enough to destroy Down within 10 minutes of throw in.

Anyone explain the turnover?
Whilst not many 15-16 year olds are well enough developed to play minor football a lot more 18-19 year olds are able to play u-21's so some players who may have been there at u-18 can be overtaken by subsequent minors.
Add in players developing later or developing outside the academy system from which the minors are picked, e.g. the 2 Killyclogher lads proved themselves in Senior club football, there is plenty of scope for other players to come in.
It perhaps shows the u-21 management are not blinded by previous performance and are looking at players on current merit.

scout

Knew looking at the team that started, wouldnt be too long for a few boys to be found out and get the hook. No idea why it takes to the first competitive game for this to be the case.

McLernon, McNabb both should be starting from what i can see. Podge McAnenly?? another that has more to offer. Thought midfield was quite poor. and Lee Brennan really was poor, bar few frees. No surprise why he's barely featured for tyrone, despite being in the squad for nearly 4 years. DD Mulgrew looked twice the player imo.

skeog

Why is Carmen the only club who were wise enough to avail of the free fuel Arlene scheme you would think Garvaghey would have been in on it as well.Could have paid for the extras for the players.

RedHandTom

Quote from: Bring back club football on March 16, 2017, 08:58:16 AM
In Omagh watching the match last night. Hoped to see good game. What rubbish. That'll do me for county games. What is these super coaches doing with these cubs kept under lock and key for months???? And as for all the men cryin bout harte and looking the u21 managers installed - you'd just be getting even more negative garbage!!!!!!!!

Get a grip of yourself. Logan has the boys very well drilled and I was impressed with us last night. Should have won the game and left it behind us. The only problem I had is that we seemed to start a team weaker than the one that finished. We mightn't get away with that again

RedHandTom

Quote from: scout on March 16, 2017, 12:49:04 PM
Knew looking at the team that started, wouldnt be too long for a few boys to be found out and get the hook. No idea why it takes to the first competitive game for this to be the case.

McLernon, McNabb both should be starting from what i can see. Podge McAnenly?? another that has more to offer. Thought midfield was quite poor. and Lee Brennan really was poor, bar few frees. No surprise why he's barely featured for tyrone, despite being in the squad for nearly 4 years. DD Mulgrew looked twice the player imo.

Agree with this. Brennan is a class act but was no where to be seen last night. Other sub's had big impact. Brian Kennedy is nowhere near the standard required. Not convinced by Ben McDonald either. A black card merchant

Tyroneforsam

We played them in a friendly in early january and I did tell you'd the brand of football they play is awful!!

Bring back club football

Quote from: RedHandTom on March 16, 2017, 05:38:30 PM

Get a grip of yourself. Logan has the boys very well drilled and I was impressed with us last night. Should have won the game and left it behind us. The only problem I had is that we seemed to start a team weaker than the one that finished. We mightn't get away with that again
They've been in camp months and treated like senior team - need a be well drilled for gods sake  :o

LeoMc

Quote from: RedHandTom on March 16, 2017, 05:38:30 PM

Should've won it?
I'd Donegal had their shooting boots on they would have been out of sight. Tyrone did well to stay in it and could have stole it but for a good save.
No leaders out there. 3 minutes of injury time and she we got a free on the 40 we kicked it backwards.
Mulgrew and McKiernan handled a lot of ball but it was all Ciaran Kilkenny stuff, loads of lateral passes and no real end product.
McNabba and Mc Larnon at least took men on.

sam03/05

Considering this team got stuffed by Donegal at minor level and failed to score against them in the 2nd half.
Then I would say they are not doing too bad to get a replay and almost beat a fancied Donegal team
Who reached an AI Final at minor. Many of the Donegal players are on their senior panel and they still failed to beat a young Tyrone team at this level.
Also I would say if they played a nice open game 15v 15 one on one then they would have got tanked
Like they did at minors ( and most on here would not be happy) Instead the management have shown that they can take a limited enough group and make them competitive. No one complained about their style of football when they won the AI, you have to work with the material at your disposal and they have shown that they can do that.

RedHandTom

Quote from: sam03/05 on March 16, 2017, 11:21:26 PM
Considering this team got stuffed by Donegal at minor level and failed to score against them in the 2nd half.
Then I would say they are not doing too bad to get a replay and almost beat a fancied Donegal team
Who reached an AI Final at minor. Many of the Donegal players are on their senior panel and they still failed to beat a young Tyrone team at this level.
Also I would say if they played a nice open game 15v 15 one on one then they would have got tanked
Like they did at minors ( and most on here would not be happy) Instead the management have shown that they can take a limited enough group and make them competitive. No one complained about their style of football when they won the AI, you have to work with the material at your disposal and they have shown that they can do that.

Monaghan beat them at minor level in the cship, not Donegal. We severely underachieved 3 years ago.

The time, energy and money that has gone into this u21 side has been phenominal. Fergal Logan can be proud of last night, now to next Wed night to finish the job.

sam03/05

Most of the team who played last night played v Donegal 2 years ago
And failed to score in 2nd half and were well defeated. That's a big improvement no matter how things go in replay.