Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

i think its fair to say that 2017 is a huge year for both tyrone and mickey harte. prob the biggest year since 03 cause if we cant break into the top 3 in ireland then we havent progressed and mickey will be gone.

longballin

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 15, 2016, 11:44:25 PM
i think its fair to say that 2017 is a huge year for both tyrone and mickey harte. prob the biggest year since 03 cause if we cant break into the top 3 in ireland then we havent progressed and mickey will be gone.

Mickey will never be gone... he calls the tune

vallankumous

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 15, 2016, 11:44:25 PM

How are the top 3 decided?

Up The Middle

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 15, 2016, 07:56:14 PM
Quote from: Club boi on December 14, 2016, 07:53:28 PM

And as for rrhf he ain't a Goalie. Plays Midfield. Not even the best Keeper in Edendork

Suffering Christ.

Morgan is the best keeper in the county by a mile, he commands his area very well, he is a fantastic shot stopper, he has a good range of kickouts. The free taking responsibility should be taken off him, we just don't have a free taker who is reliable from 45 yards out so it's time to come up with an alternative here, these players have to be wise enough to know you don't always have to have a crack at the posts from this range.

He has had a few bad days on kickouts but this is just par the course for keepers nowadays, Cluxton had a meltdown in the All Ireland semi-final this and one of the goals he was responsible for was a kickout that went astray, Durcan the year before did the same in an All Ireland final. There is no keeper exempt from this trend and clearly it's do with management teams across the country being obsessed with retaining the ball and building from the back, it's a very high risk strategy and cost us against Kerry in 2015 but it's happened all the top keepers at some stage.

Morgan will be the no.1 next year and deservedly so, may I point to Mickey O'Neill's performance in the drawn game against Cavan and illustrate the importance of a keeper who will take responsibility and control over balls launched in on the square. O'Neill was all at sea for two of those goals and Morgan rightly got a recall on the back of it.

Id rate Fox and O'Neill both ahead of Morgan, he reigned it in a bit last year, but the year before him soloing up the pitch was a total liability. Micky had a poor day at the office against Cavan id admit that (as would he) but he certainly wasn't helped by his full back line or midfield that day.  Both sub keepers kickouts are equal if not better than Morgans, as for shot stopping from watching Micky from he was 16 hes the pick of the bunch.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

EastTyrone

Quote from: Up The Middle on December 16, 2016, 09:05:11 AM

And as for rrhf he ain't a Goalie. Plays Midfield. Not even the best Keeper in Edendork

Suffering Christ.

Morgan is the best keeper in the county by a mile, he commands his area very well, he is a fantastic shot stopper, he has a good range of kickouts. The free taking responsibility should be taken off him, we just don't have a free taker who is reliable from 45 yards out so it's time to come up with an alternative here, these players have to be wise enough to know you don't always have to have a crack at the posts from this range.

He has had a few bad days on kickouts but this is just par the course for keepers nowadays, Cluxton had a meltdown in the All Ireland semi-final this and one of the goals he was responsible for was a kickout that went astray, Durcan the year before did the same in an All Ireland final. There is no keeper exempt from this trend and clearly it's do with management teams across the country being obsessed with retaining the ball and building from the back, it's a very high risk strategy and cost us against Kerry in 2015 but it's happened all the top keepers at some stage.

Morgan will be the no.1 next year and deservedly so, may I point to Mickey O'Neill's performance in the drawn game against Cavan and illustrate the importance of a keeper who will take responsibility and control over balls launched in on the square. O'Neill was all at sea for two of those goals and Morgan rightly got a recall on the back of it.

Id rate Fox and O'Neill both ahead of Morgan, he reigned it in a bit last year, but the year before him soloing up the pitch was a total liability. Micky had a poor day at the office against Cavan id admit that (as would he) but he certainly wasn't helped by his full back line or midfield that day.  Both sub keepers kickouts are equal if not better than Morgans, as for shot stopping from watching Micky from he was 16 hes the pick of the bunch.

Some of this I agree with, other points I don't. I would like to see Mickey O'Neill in there also. Great all round keeper. Morgan has some better attributes but just a lack of consistency. Fox has a great short kick out, but when push comes to shove and he has to kick long, it is no better than any other club keeper. I always get my heart in my mouth when a high ball comes in on him. I would trust O'Neill with that.

Up The Middle

Quote from: EastTyrone on December 16, 2016, 09:41:50 AM

Suffering Christ.

Some of this I agree with, other points I don't. I would like to see Mickey O'Neill in there also. Great all round keeper. Morgan has some better attributes but just a lack of consistency. Fox has a great short kick out, but when push comes to shove and he has to kick long, it is no better than any other club keeper. I always get my heart in my mouth when a high ball comes in on him. I would trust O'Neill with that.

I find it weird when you agree with me
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

longballin

While we're all sneering at Johnathan Bell praying before an interview remember that is what Mickey Harte has our county players at before big games. Maybe a role for Bell in Tyrone backroom team  ???

EastTyrone

Quote from: Up The Middle on December 16, 2016, 09:45:24 AM
Quote from: EastTyrone on December 16, 2016, 09:41:50 AM

Suffering Christ.

I find it weird when you agree with me

It is the off season and I am feeling festive.
I will probably disagree with you when the season start and that will last all of the 11 month season.

Tyroneforsam

Quote from: longballin on December 16, 2016, 10:49:37 AM
While we're all sneering at Johnathan Bell praying before an interview remember that is what Mickey Harte has our county players at before big games. Maybe a role for Bell in Tyrone backroom team  ???

So you're persecuting Micky Harte for his religious beliefs.

Fuzzman

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 15, 2016, 09:39:35 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on December 15, 2016, 08:22:25 PM
I have been saying for a long time that we should work on methods to create scoring opportunities from long range free kicks instead of taking pot shots with unreliavle/under confident free takers.

In the Mayo match we had a free in 3rd quarter about 38 yards out close to hogan stand. A runner made a run from 20m line towards Petey Harte (the free taker) and popped a pass back to him on the over lap. Petey had a much easier shot and nailed it. Surely 3/4 plays could be worked up on the training ground to create better chances from the areas where we miss so much.

Couldn't agree more. We have guys that are excellent long range point kickers - Cavanagh, Matty D, Petey and even Richie Donnelly. We should be working any free kick outside 40m to them in scoring positions instead of hitting demoralising pot shots.
Totally agree and I think did Peter Harte's monster score come from a short free in the Ulster final.
Surely at this stage though that is a simple decision yet we still have Morgan coming up hitting far out frees in our biggest game in years. I'd forgive him more if he rarely misses but I'd say most of us expected him to not score.

Let's not go down the praying discussion route folks.

longballin

Quote from: Tyroneforsam on December 16, 2016, 12:44:07 PM

Not at all - just uncomfortable when he inflicts them on others

redhandefender

Quote from: longballin on December 16, 2016, 02:03:47 PM

wise up lad, if someone was offeneded he wouldn't do it. what an absolutely stupid thing to get annoyed about

BennyHarp

Mickey reads a lot and takes a lot of ideas from great American coaches of different sports. It's a fairly common tactic in American sports to gather together and pray before a big game. It calms the nerves, focuses the mind and creates a team togetherness. It's hardly a big deal in my view. Managers try different things, is it any more strange than Armagh symbol, Dublins blue book etc. If it gives an extra edge then fair enough. If the players felt uncomfortable and it hindered the team I'm sure he'd drop it. Like I said, no big deal!
That was never a square ball!!

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 16, 2016, 02:32:37 PM

Mickey reads a lot and takes a lot of ideas from great American coaches of different sports. It's a fairly common tactic in American sports to gather together and pray before a big game. It calms the nerves, focuses the mind and creates a team togetherness. It's hardly a big deal in my view. Managers try different things, is it any more strange than Armagh symbol, Dublins blue book etc. If it gives an extra edge then fair enough. If the players felt uncomfortable and it hindered the team I'm sure he'd drop it. Like I said, no big deal!

Maybe why Johnathan Bell prayed with his team before facing Stephen Nolan last night   ???

southtyronegael

mickeys tactics have become that bad he has resorted to praying before games? all them prayers werent much good against mayo. pathetic