Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

Not sure if it is solely that Fuzzman. Think a lot of people are fed up with how the county game and GAA are going to be honest and the man at the helm unfairly getting the blame. Don't think anyone in Tyrone could do a better job but would love to see a more positive/attacking style that puts a lot of trust/faith in the players.

rrhf

I think we need a new attacking philosophy which caters for smaller players but I believe smaller but v talented players.  In my head that needs a big but fairly stationary full forward talisman.  I think there are options inside and outside the panel. 
We need to change the goalie / free tactic.
We need to kick the ball more and run the ball less.   
Defense is a winner, we can defend enough to win. 
Id suggest most lovers of Gaelic football prefer club level football now.  That will continue until the county teams represent an ideal again, atten dances will continue to decrease as entertainment value drops. 
Harte will adapt to the lesson leanred in Croke Park and it was another lesson. Could make for an interesting year.  I hope with no contract in place he goes for it gung ho!   

Dire Ear

Mikhailov

Quote from: Dire Ear on November 29, 2016, 05:21:51 PM
Free-takers, please, free-takers

what are these? we haven't had any in ages.

Plenty of players masquerading as free kickers but none too reliable unless it is O'Fiaich Cup or McKenna Cup......

jp2020

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 29, 2016, 05:30:33 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on November 29, 2016, 05:21:51 PM
Free-takers, please, free-takers

what are these? we haven't had any in ages.

Plenty of players masquerading as free kickers but none too reliable unless it is O'Fiaich Cup or McKenna Cup......
Thank God for the O'Fiaich and McKenna Cups, only for them MH would have been packed off years ago! He has created a smokescreen that success is on its way cos we are winning (But winning what??)!!

southtyronegael

Quote from: redhandefender on November 29, 2016, 10:22:15 AM
Mulder and Scully here.

He says controversial things therefore makes for a good headline. He is the Tyrone manager, there second biggest catchment area therefore sells papers. There is no connection between mickey harte and the irishnews. the majority of their sports jornos are from Derry for god sake.

Back to the X-files ladies
no connection? did he not write a full page column for them every friday for about 3 years?

BennyHarp

Quote from: southtyronegael on November 29, 2016, 08:21:30 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on November 29, 2016, 10:22:15 AM
Mulder and Scully here.

He says controversial things therefore makes for a good headline. He is the Tyrone manager, there second biggest catchment area therefore sells papers. There is no connection between mickey harte and the irishnews. the majority of their sports jornos are from Derry for god sake.

Back to the X-files ladies
no connection? did he not write a full page column for them every friday for about 3 years?

Bejaysus, I think your on to something there fella.  Keep digging the dirt on the Mickey Harte/Irish News scandal and keep us posted. It's an outrage and people need to know the truth.
That was never a square ball!!

southtyronegael

ye wouldnt have to dig far to find a bit of dirt on him now.

Fuzzman

Quote from: rrhf on November 29, 2016, 03:32:52 PM
I think we need a new attacking philosophy which caters for smaller players but I believe smaller but v talented players.  In my head that needs a big but fairly stationary full forward talisman.  I think there are options inside and outside the panel.  Want to name a few?
We need to change the goalie / free tactic. Why did Peter Harte stop hitting frees?
We need to kick the ball more and run the ball less.   Totally agree with this or at least mix it up as we're much too predictable. We used to kick the odd long high ball into Sean on the square
Defense is a winner, we can defend enough to win.  Is it good just because of numbers back?
Id suggest most lovers of Gaelic football prefer club level football now.  That will continue until the county teams represent an ideal again, atten dances will continue to decrease as entertainment value drops. 
Harte will adapt to the lesson leanred in Croke Park and it was another lesson. Could make for an interesting year.  I hope with no contract in place he goes for it gung ho!   

I am not sure what lesson Harte will have learned from the Mayo game. I'd say in his eyes his defensive approach almost worked had we taken more of our chances. We hit a lot of silly wides and had we won by a point would we be complaining about the style of football now. Personally I hate it myself and would love to see players like Mark Bradley, Lee Brennan and Ronan O'Neill doing well and being supported up front rather than being isolated.
The Donegal fans were very forgiving of their style of football when they won in 2012 and it almost worked again in 2014.
I'd expect Harte to continue with the running possession game and to focus on turnover and fast transition to attack that they showed so well v Cavan in the second game. That style of football has brought us to the quarter finals and a few semifinals quite consistently over the past 5 years.

Dire Ear

I remember a few years ago wishing to see a full-forward line of McCurry, McAliskey and O'Neill......well it did come to pass and , whether, it was not getting the ball enough,  being swallowed up by defensive systems or just loosing their ability/confidence, but it has turned out to be a major disappointment. 

Club boi

Quote from: Fuzzman on November 30, 2016, 10:25:00 AM
I think we need a new attacking philosophy which caters for smaller players but I believe smaller but v talented players.  In my head that needs a big but fairly stationary full forward talisman.  I think there are options inside and outside the panel.  Want to name a few?
We need to change the goalie / free tactic. Why did Peter Harte stop hitting frees?
We need to kick the ball more and run the ball less.   Totally agree with this or at least mix it up as we're much too predictable. We used to kick the odd long high ball into Sean on the square
Defense is a winner, we can defend enough to win.  Is it good just because of numbers back?

I am not sure what lesson Harte will have learned from the Mayo game. I'd say in his eyes his defensive approach almost worked had we taken more of our chances. We hit a lot of silly wides and had we won by a point would we be complaining about the style of football now. Personally I hate it myself and would love to see players like Mark Bradley, Lee Brennan and Ronan O'Neill doing well and being supported up front rather than being isolated.
The Donegal fans were very forgiving of their style of football when they won in 2012 and it almost worked again in 2014.
I'd expect Harte to continue with the running possession game and to focus on turnover and fast transition to attack that they showed so well v Cavan in the second game. That style of football has brought us to the quarter finals and a few semifinals quite consistently over the past 5 years.

Your praising a replay display versus Cavan, there's your problem already. This system doesn't work against the big teams when it matters

redzone

Quote from: Club boi on November 30, 2016, 04:33:12 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on November 30, 2016, 10:25:00 AM

Your praising a replay display versus Cavan, there's your problem already. This system doesn't work against the big teams when it matters

What system would u like to see club boi.

redhandofgod

Boys would u's forget about Ronan O'Neill..... he never touched leather against Donegal or Mayo. Pure scrape. He might look good against the Derry's but nowhere near the standard needed against the big boys. McAliskey and McCurry are only slightly better too.

southtyronegael

r o neill was the star player on an all ireland minor winning team and almost led his club to provincial glory. if he isnt good enough then who is? il admit he looked a shadow of himself against clonoe in championship first round but id say its just a confindence thing. the ability is there.