Fury as man tarred and feathered

Started by spiritof91and94, August 28, 2007, 11:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritof91and94

Call this justice?
Fury as man tarred and feathered
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

By Noel McAdam

The UDA was today blamed for the savage tarring and feathering of a Belfast man in an attack reminiscent of the darkest days of the Troubles.

Nationalists and unionists said the grim incident at Taughmonagh in Belfast was provocative given Social Development Minister Margaret Ritchie's threat to withdraw funding from UDA-linked projects.

As this dramatic picture shows, the victim, in his mid-30s was tied to a lamppost before tar and then feathers were poured over his head. The public humiliation happened on Sunday night at Finwood Park.

The Ulster Political Research Group (UPRG) denied it was a UDA punishment attack however SDLP MLA Alban Maginness said: "It is quite clear that it was an element of the UDA which was responsible for this. These things are not done spontaneously by the community. It would seem to be a very provocative act."

DUP MP Jeffrey Donaldson appealed to the UDA to "desist from this kind of activity" and cooperate with legitimate law enforcement agencies. The Lagan Valley MP said he did not believe the incident should lead to Ms Ritchie changing the terms which had been laid down to the UDA.

"We do want to see serious progress being made by that organisation. It is totally unacceptable that people should take the law into their own hands. "

Alliance leader David Ford said: "Whatever denials are issued, I think most people will find it hard to believe that the UDA was not involved in this horrific crime. The Minister will obviously have to take into serious account incidents such as this in addressing funding to UDA-linked projects."

Colin Halliday, of the UPRG, which provides political analysis to the UDA, said: "It was not a UDA punishment attack. The community demanded something be done."

A DSD spokesman said the Minister had made clear she would be monitoring the level of UDA activity with the police and the Independent Monitoring Commission. A police spokesman said when they arrived on Sunday night there was no-one there - and no-one has come forward since.

Donagh

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on August 28, 2007, 11:13:30 AM
The UDA was today blamed for the savage tarring and feathering of a Belfast man in an attack reminiscent of the darkest days of the Troubles.

Doesn't even come close, not even reminiscent of the cruellest of punishment attacks. Isn't it funny how quickly you can tell the name of the newspaper by reading the first line of a report - must be either the Tele or Sunday Life.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 28, 2007, 11:18:39 AM
Where exactly would you lay your hands on a bucket of tar and a bag of feathers at short notice in Belfast?

aha
CSI Newry - it must be a team of thug uda farmers

stephenite

Quote from: Donagh on August 28, 2007, 11:17:11 AM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on August 28, 2007, 11:13:30 AM

Doesn't even come close, not even reminiscent of the cruellest of punishment attacks. Isn't it funny how quickly you can tell the name of the newspaper by reading the first line of a report - must be either the Tele or Sunday Life.

Worse than a bullet through each knee?

Donagh

Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2007, 11:27:10 AM
Worse than a bullet through each knee?

I wouldn't have thought so. The UDA also beat and crucified a young lad in the same area a year or two back. Given a choice I think I would go for the tar and feathers.

mannix

They just plucked him from the crowd i heard.
Would they have to wear gloves and overalls when pouring the tar?

Donagh

Square Ball

they are saying it was either tar or black paint, police are unable to trace the victim and have asked him to come forward and make a complaint  :o
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

pintsofguinness

Quotesavage tarring and feathering

Such drama queens.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Orior

What with another dismembered body being found in East Belfast, is it safer being a republican criminal than a loyalist criminal?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Square Ball

To be honest, if he was a drugs dealer then i couldnt care less, and i bet the police feel the same way
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

southdown

Quote from: Square Ball on August 28, 2007, 08:55:55 PM
To be honest, if he was a drugs dealer then i couldnt care less, and i bet the police feel the same way

I would agree, but its still pretty rough nonetheless.  Both the victim and the attackers must be pretty low-life characters.

ziggysego

As terrible as the action was and that I wouldn't wish it on any person, I have no sympathy for the guy. He's a drug pusher and deserves what's coming.
Testing Accessibility

clarshack

do you think he'll stop dealing drugs? he now looks like something from star wars or star trek!

Windmill abu

Quotethey are saying it was either tar or black paint, police are unable to trace the victim

Maybe if he lay between two sheets of tracing paper and they used a 4B pencil
Never underestimate the power of complaining