Northern spongers?

Started by Donagh, August 27, 2007, 11:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not too many Nordies on the Board today (bank holiday Monday). Does this tell us?

They are all making their way home from the premiere cultural event of the year (Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann)
They're still celebrating the Dubs exit from the football Championship
The financial sector has suddenly become the main employer in the six counties
They're all indebted to the British exchequer by way employment in Silly Service?

Donagh

Banks and public sector workers are all enjoying the day off today.

pintsofguinness

More people than that is off today.

I'll be sitting in my underwear watching tv all day too  ;D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Balboa

I saw something on the news today that they are thinking of introducing another bank holiday, a "heros day" or some shite like that. But sure who cares what its for as long as you are off.

southdown

Do you Mexicans not have Bank Holidays?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: southdown on August 27, 2007, 12:19:17 PM
yes, but just diff bank holidays to you jaffas

bingobus

Quote from: southdown on August 27, 2007, 12:19:17 PM

Got offered a job once where I only got USA bank holidays (in Ireland). Think alot of the Financial services work like this (it was in fund accounting).

Needless to say I turned it down but not for that reason.

nifan

what percentage on here do you reckon actually do work for the civil service?

screenexile

I've just started working for a financial services company and I'm not even off today... clean disaster!!! It's lucky I'm on a drinking ban for the cship otherwise I'd have cracked a few heads in the office!!!

heganboy

there's quite a few of the financial companies where you only get either the UK bank holidays, or the US ones (and there's a hell of a difference)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tony Baloney

I remember a load of mates used to work in Segue in Belfast (dunno if it's still there) but they always bitched about stuff like this but they were providing software support to the States. If you're providing a service it doesn't make sense to be off when people are at work.

nifan

in my company you request all holidays, bank holidays included.
We provide software to the states and europe so we ensure we always have people available.

screenexile

Yeah well I'm working in a mortgage brokers and the only contact we have is from our own customers... (haven't had a call all day). We can't talk to any of the lenders or our service providers so I'm passing the day with facebook poker. I'm going for the 4000 points barrier... yes I have no life!

spiritof91and94

heganboy

Nifan- Boo Hoo :-)

was down in your place on Friday. You over again soon?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

spiritof91and94

'Holiday Should Celebrate Britishness'
Updated: 10:57, Monday August 27, 2007

A new bank holiday should be created to celebrate Britishness, help build a national identity and thank community heroes, Gordon Brown is being told.

'We're British - let's celebrate!'The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) document, to be published next month, says the British national day should fall on the Monday after Remembrance Sunday - November 12 this year.

The think-tank argues that the new bank holiday would be a national "thank you" for people who work in the community and a way of asking people to give back to their home towns.

It says the focus should be on ordinary people who have made a significant contribution.

Kate Stanley, IPPR director of research, said: "We need a day when people 'give something back' to their communities and celebrate the diversity and pluralism of modern Britain.

Advertisement
"Awarding civic honours on a single national day would be a national thank you for the many thousands of citizens who go out of their way to help others."

The Power of Belonging report says that by selecting the Monday following Remembrance Sunday, a new national day could build on an existing commemoration rather than imposing something artificial.

But the Confederation of British Industry has warned the proposals could cost the economy up to £6bn.

Neil Carberry, head of employment policy at the CBI, said: "The idea of celebrating national heroes is a positive one, but there is no reason this couldn't be done on an existing bank holiday."