Long Haul Flight Advise (Books, etc)

Started by AbbeySider, August 27, 2007, 10:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Hi guys,
Im heading to Vancouver soon for a two week break and im wondering can anyone recommend any good books to read or any advise for the flight? (last book I have read was Keys to the Kingdom - lets just say it wasnt the greatest piece of lititure I have ever read).
The longest flight I was on was to Turkey which lasted 4 hours or so and the boredom was unreal. The boredom is the only thing that kills me when flying. From Dublin to Toranto its 6.5 hours and then another 4 hours to Vancouver so its over 10 hours on the plane, going over not incl the time spent in airports! Coming back will be longer again.

I was thinking of reading but I may just pop a sleeping tablet instead!?

Hardy

I certainly wouldn't recommend that sleeping pill. In fact I wouldn't recommend such a thing in any circumstances, but Deep Vein Thrombosis (i.e. a blood clot in your leg) is a real danger on long haul flights. I know this from the experience of a member of my family who got one after a trip to Australia and I know how surprisingly badly it affects your life thereafter (that is if you're not one of the unfortunate ones it kills).

OK, if you're under 40 the risk is lower, but not non-existent and certainly not if you're comatose for the trip. So instead of a sleeping pill, I'd recommend taking a couple of aspirin before the flight and taking frequent walks up and down the aisle during it.

Take a couple of Flann O'Brien books with you and the time will fly – At Swim-Two-Birds, The Third Policeman or The Poor Mouth would be my choice. Or The Best of Myles – a compilation of his newspaper columns.

Or you might consider the Dublin Football Coaching Manual. Chapter One, "Pointing At The Scoreboard", Chapter Three, "Gestures and Gesticulations For All Occasions"  and Chapter Seven, "Jumping About Like a Monkey and Screaming in your Opponent's Face" were my favourites.

Declan

Or you might consider the Dublin Football Coaching Manual. Chapter One, "Pointing At The Scoreboard", Chapter Three, "Gestures and Gesticulations For All Occasions"  and Chapter Seven, "Jumping About Like a Monkey and Screaming in your Opponent's Face" were my favourites

Ouch Hardy - Or maybe a leaf out of Meaths book - Lie down and and give up??

Hardy

Sorry Declan - it was a bit of a cheap shot OK on a day when you're getting it hot and heavy from all quarters.

[Edit - I meant to say - wrestling like salmon in the nets and shooting for goals from 13 metre frees and still attacking in the last minute when ten points down didn't look like giving up to me. I think our problem was something else - something to do with a better team in red). 

Tony Baloney

How many threads do we need on recommendations for books?!

Hardy

Well if it's a choice between two (is it?) threads that mention books and a hundred and seventy five on the doings of various English sports-entertainment companies and their overpaid employees ...

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Sean3

I actually enjoyed "Keys of the Kingdom", although it's been a while since I read it. A few you might enjoy..

The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hlasek
The Thought Gang by Tibor Fischer
English Passengers by Matthew Kneale
Invitation to a Beheading by Vladimir Nabokov
The Prince of West End Avenue by Alan Isler
Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler

Bogball XV

The Secret History by Donna Tart - an excellent read imo - perfect for a long haul flight.

The Blegard

Abbeysider
Dont take sleeping tablets. I fly a lot with work often long haul and my colleague took a horse tranquiliser when he got on the plane. Taxied out no problem then came straight back due to a techinical problem. I had to carry the bastard off the plane and back on again 2 hours later with a lot of explaining to do.

You will love vancouver. one of the nicest places Ive been. Whistler is only 1.5 hrs away
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

Orior

Quote from: The Blegard on August 27, 2007, 06:43:52 PM
Abbeysider
Dont take sleeping tablets. I fly a lot with work often long haul and my colleague took a horse tranquiliser when he got on the plane. Taxied out no problem then came straight back due to a techinical problem. I had to carry the bastard off the plane and back on again 2 hours later with a lot of explaining to do.

LOL
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gnevin

Get a  lend or buy a DS they are only about 130 and are great value .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DrinkingHarp

For a good book on a flight, I would recomend the Alex Cross series by James Patterson. His ability to create suspense and action leaves you wanting to turn the next page and the next thing you notice is you just landed.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

J70

Who are you flying with? Depending on the airline (and the plane in some cases!), you may get a seat with your own tv and a good choice of viewing. I can't read very much personally when travelling, so its either that or the laptop. Get a window seat though - if you're flying to Vancouver, you'll get some great views of the Rockies!