Bernard Dunne v Kiko Martinez EBU super bantamweight title on Tonight

Started by The Real Laoislad, August 25, 2007, 07:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Was not too dissapointed. I know boxers but on an arrogant act but Dunee struck me a a gobshite.

Tyrone Dreamer

Hope we see a bit more of Andy Lee. Like Dunne dont think Duddy will be able to go the full way either, good fightrer but not a great one. Lee on the other hand appears at this stage to have the attributes to go far, but its still early days of course.

tyroneboi

think the martinez camp had 50k on there man at 66/1 for the 1st round KO so a £330000 profit!

dunne just wasnt good enough simple as that. look at the difference between the two physiques he was just too powerful for dunne. felt really sorry for dunne he looked like he was gonna cry. dublin gettin beat by kerry will round off a bad weekend for the wee man ;D :D :P

CiKe

Seem to be an awful lot coming out of the woodwork now saying they always new Dunne wasn't all that. The only one I can recall said that from the start apart from me was Galwaybhoy. Dunne was never good enough, and will not win a world title. He has always been a bit of a powder puff puncher, and very much a tabloid sensation as someone mentioned.

As I have said before, I don't think Duddy will make it to top either. Very marketable and comes across as a real nice guy, I hope he does go all the way (was never that keen on Dunne as a guy, as pointed out, very much a shaper). If he does make it then we should have an All Irish world title fight in a couple years as Andy Lee is on his way to the top.

I'm sure I'm doing a disservice to a goodly number of fights in between but next one a, really looking forward to is Cotto-Mosley, now that Vargas-Mayorga is off

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2007, 06:27:25 PM
It's a bad weekend to be a Dub surely.
He wasnt having his usual parade in front of the hill surely! Although the hill would have got better value for money.....the parade would surely have lasted longer than a minute and a half!

new devil

Quote from: Gold on August 25, 2007, 11:40:10 PM
Kiko is not kiko!

Dunne's been hyped up far too much beatin flabby boys and journeymen.

Hes a good fighter but got caught up in his own hype tonight--he didnt start and got caught cold by a crackin, raging bull type fighter.

Will be very hard to come back from that.

Dunne was knocked down 3 times in 1 round, yet each time his ego made him shout that it was a slip.

He needs to step away from the limelight like Rocky and Appollo Creed did-and get the hunger back--hes nothin, no world title, nothin--we r too quick to build up sportsmen as heroes because they win a few fights, score a few goals--i hope Dunne can come back but dont think he has the sheer power you need to be a champion like champions like Kiko do

:D :D

Yer Ma

I said before that I thought Dunne put his punches together well, but wasn't sure about his chin, even against the opposition he had faced before.

I didn't see the fight, but it appears that he's been well found out on that count. He was a always a bit cocky, and I don't mind seeing someone who's cocky getting put in their place. However, he does have ability if he can keep his hands up, so his career is not over, but all future opponents will be well aware of his suspect chin and focus on it.

Teeling Gael

If there anyone who thinks you'd find a bookie that would give you 50,000 at 66/1 on a first round knockout you are slightly naive. You'd be lucky to find a bookie to accept €500 bet at those odds.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Teeling Gael on August 27, 2007, 10:38:58 AM
If there anyone who thinks you'd find a bookie that would give you 50,000 at 66/1 on a first round knockout you are slightly naive. You'd be lucky to find a bookie to accept €500 bet at those odds.

Your right TG .   

ludermor

they did say they went around to loads of bookies nt put it all on one bet

Teeling Gael

In this day and age , if bookies aren't directly talking to each other , you can be sure they are looking at market trends and anyone putting on 500 in one bookmakers would have a dramatic effect on the price across all bookies. I imagine there is a bit of a poetic license here by the Spanish.  Good to see putting their money on and stinging the bookies for presumably a 5 figure amount but I'd be very surprised if it was a 6 figure sum.

Louth Exile

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 26, 2007, 12:00:12 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 25, 2007, 11:47:38 PM
A victory for reality tonight. Dunne was found out. Never anything more than a shaper and a tabloid creation. I don't follow boxing much these days, but his antics against the Dane in his last fight meant I wasn't too sorry to see him planted tonight. 

Have to agree,I think he was too cocky and maybe was a tabloid creation,and was hyped up more than he should have been

I'd have to echo the sentiments from above, it was amazing how many people I was talking to that were glad to see him get what was coming to him.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

cavan4ever

If he had of concentrated on the fight instead of playing to the crowd beforehand he might have been ready for  martinez.

Declan

QuoteI'd have to echo the sentiments from above, it was amazing how many people I was talking to that were glad to see him get what was coming to him.

Funny that. Anyone I was talking to were disappointed that he got beaten. Maybe not surprised but definitely not glad to see it happen .
More anti Dub bias ;)