Started by Gabriel_Hurl, May 17, 2017, 04:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Tubberman on May 18, 2017, 12:22:18 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 18, 2017, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 18, 2017, 09:20:20 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 18, 2017, 07:34:39 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 17, 2017, 08:27:46 PM
I doubt we'll need a tribunal to enquire into any of his dealings so on that basis alone, he's probably the best Taoiseach of the last 30 years.

There should f**king well be one over the state of the Gardai.

A review of all policing in the State has been set up actually.

A review is different from a tribunal. I was exaggerating a tad bit the fact Callanan lasted so long and the fact O'Sullivan is still there is a disgrace.

Given the history of tribunals in this country (millions spend and go on for years with very little end result), I'd be quite happy with the review which is resourced with very capable and experienced personnel.

Like I said, I was exaggerating given the earlier statement that Kenny wouldn't be remembered for tribunals like Bertie, not actually advocating one.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0518/876073-enda-kenny/
Minister for Finance Michael Noonan has said he does not want to be considered for a Cabinet position by the next taoiseach and Senator James Reilly has resigned as deputy leader of Fine Gael.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: gallsman on May 18, 2017, 07:34:39 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 17, 2017, 08:27:46 PM
I doubt we'll need a tribunal to enquire into any of his dealings so on that basis alone, he's probably the best Taoiseach of the last 30 years.

There should f**king well be one over the state of the Gardai.

Do you seriously believe that the Gardai took a complete wrong turn under Kenny's stewardship?  The issues with the Gardai are institutional and will require a long time to turn around as the cultures within the organisation are gradually changed.  Kenny did not have the finances necessary to rid the Gardai of deadwood and self serving elements that have been ingrained for decades and changes to a police force must be handled carefully and not with any haste or you find yourself looking over your shoulder when the force is no longer with you.

Syferus

yellowcard

Kenny was a powder puff 'leader' if indeed he could be described as a leader at all. He generally steered clear of the media unless it was unavoidable as was evidenced by his refusal to appear on Vincent Browne or Matt Cooper. That said he was at the helm through a difficult economic period and helped stabilise the economy. Could never warm to his personality though as he always came across as a condescending smarmy man who thought he was a level above the common person. Was at his happiest getting photographe4d meeting foreign dignitaries and I suspect he'll find a decent job waiting for him in Europe if he wanted it. 

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on May 18, 2017, 02:32:22 PM
Kenny was a powder puff 'leader' if indeed he could be described as a leader at all. He generally steered clear of the media unless it was unavoidable as was evidenced by his refusal to appear on Vincent Browne or Matt Cooper. That said he was at the helm through a difficult economic period and helped stabilise the economy. Could never warm to his personality though as he always came across as a condescending smarmy man who thought he was a level above the common person. Was at his happiest getting photographe4d meeting foreign dignitaries and I suspect he'll find a decent job waiting for him in Europe if he wanted it.

No one but Vincent Browne cared. For an octogenarian he still hasn't to learnt that childish insults might effect someone's willingness to appear on your show, something that would only benefit Browne given his low ratings and given how Kenny's lack of appearances had absolutely zero effect on him.

mouview

Appearing on media shows with nimwits like Browne or Cooper is no measure of political leadership; quite the opposite I would say.

bennydorano

He always struck me as some not confident in his own abilities or maybe he was confident enough but didn't articulate himself well.

Owenmoresider

No fan of him but think that might be a little harsh on him, he's nothing on that front compared to Varadkar though, assuming the crown will be his.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Is post Pantibliss 'Ireland' ready for a gay Taoiseach.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

manfromdelmonte

Don't care once they do a good job

Captain Scarlet

Fair play on the story of him delivering the key and he genuinely seems like a decent man, but as was pointed in that piece by Callan, he had a serious majority and could have done more.
This is a genuine question in terms of the economic recovery. Did Enda and Co not just follow orders from the Troika? There seems to be a story everywhere from within friendly media and FG that he ran the Troika out of town...

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

foxcommander

A gobshite Taoiseach for a gobshite people. Freestaters got what they voted for.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie