A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on June 25, 2017, 04:04:16 PM
Quote from: LCohen on June 25, 2017, 03:49:31 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 20, 2017, 01:59:49 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/catholics-waiting-six-months-longer-to-be-housed-than-protestants-in-northern-ireland-report-35844276.html

Is this discrimination though?

Yes. It is well known that the DUP were trying to stop more housing in North Belfast in case Dodds might lose his seat.

Sums up why nothing gets sorted out in this sectarian kiphole. Politicans want to hold onto their seats, and their big pay packets.

heganboy

QuoteWe need a new approach, one which unlocks unionist opposition to a new Ireland by reminding them of their historic place here and of the positive contribution they have made to society on this island,"

"Instead of concentrating on the negative aspects of our four centuries of shared history I suggest that we embrace the areas of agreement and of co-operation; of good neighbourliness and the common good.

"A truly united Ireland will emerge from the reconciliation of the people of this island based on equality."

"The reality is that in the four hundred years of their presence on this island Protestants and especially northern Protestants, have been woven into the narrative that constitutes the history of Ireland,"
"While that narrative has been at times a troubled one it has also been dynamic."

"So, we have a shared history - we will also have a shared future.

"Our task must be to ensure that it is a shared future which looks after every citizen, and in which everyone accepts the right of the other to be Irish or British - to be unionist or nationalist or republican.

"The Brexit referendum vote last year, the Assembly results in March, the Westminster election results this month and the census conclusions from 2011, are evidence of a shifting demographic and political dynamic in northern politics.

"Within a few short years the potential for a vote to end partition and unite Ireland is a very real possibility."

He called for advocates of unification - both politicians and within society - to "consciously address the genuine fears and concerns of unionists in a meaningful way".

"It also demands that we look at what unionists mean by their sense of Britishness and be willing to explore and to be open to new concepts,"

"Hopefully as part of this process they too will be willing to explore what is meant by Irishness."

"In particular, we need to address the future role of the Orange, its place in an agreed Ireland.

"Of course, that is a challenge also for the Orange and I invite their leaders once again to meet with Sinn Fein."

G Adams yesterday
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2017, 01:45:15 PM
I think a NI with a nationalist majority would be more likely to be decent simply because nationalists are the locals and don't have the persecution complex that goes with being the settlers.Anywhere that was colonised by outsiders the outsiders have problems.

I dont see any great trend among Shiiners to extend the hand of friendship. Their attitude to the opening of Croke Park to rugby etc, the admission of PSNI to the GAA and their triumphalism following the Assembly elections show they are no better than the other side.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

general_lee

Quote from: Avondhu star on June 25, 2017, 09:55:11 PM
I think a NI with a nationalist majority would be more likely to be decent simply because nationalists are the locals and don't have the persecution complex that goes with being the settlers.Anywhere that was colonised by outsiders the outsiders have problems.

I dont see any great trend among Shiiners to extend the hand of friendship. Their attitude to the opening of Croke Park to rugby etc, the admission of PSNI to the GAA and their triumphalism following the Assembly elections show they are no better than the other side.
Did you think that all up by yourself?

Avondhu star

Quote from: general_lee on June 26, 2017, 11:59:55 AM

Did you think that all up by yourself?
I did. I have the ability to see through the bullshit emanating from Patnell Sq and Falls Rd unlike the useful idiots who believe that shite

johnneycool

That's right  ::)

Ever wondered why Nationalist led councils in the North are more inclined to have sharing agreements in place with the Mayoral type roles and why Unionist led ones don't?

Yip, its those baddies in Sinn Fein.

Avondhu star, educate yourself and form your opinions on the North somewhere other than the Irish Independent and RTÉ.

Applesisapples

Quote from: johnneycool on June 26, 2017, 04:03:55 PM

Ever wondered why Nationalist led councils in the North are more inclined to have sharing agreements in place with the Mayoral type roles and why Unionist led ones don't?

Avondhu star, educate yourself and form your opinions on the North somewhere other than the Irish Independent and RTÉ.
I was thinking that so well said.

Orior

Agreed. In fact, I'd be pleased to attend Orange parades and participate in 18th century rituals without having the the union jack shoved down my throat.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 26, 2017, 04:06:38 PM

Just look at East Belfast. There's been a shed load of money spent in the east on the CS Lewis square, walkways/paths and bridges. Not one tourist in sight, which is no bad thing because there are some very ugly bonfire sites beside the paths.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Avondhu star

Who voted against Croke pk being opened to rugby?
Who voted against admitting PSNI
Who was jumping up and down against the dup and now have got their hole opened by Arlene and are doing their best to crawl back into Stormont with Arlene still boss?

Rossfan

I didn't know SF had a vote at GAA Congress?!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2017, 10:17:10 AM
I didn't know SF had a vote at GAA Congress?!!
Don't you know they were also the cause of the tower block blaze in London, war in Syria and Famine in Sudan.

johnneycool

Quote from: Avondhu star on June 27, 2017, 09:58:06 AM

Who voted against Croke pk being opened to rugby?
Who voted against admitting PSNI
Who was jumping up and down against the dup and now have got their hole opened by Arlene and are doing their best to crawl back into Stormont with Arlene still boss?

Shinners had no vote on Croke Park being opened and IIRC Cork CB also voted against it. Never knew Frank Murphy was a Shinner.
See first part of above. The timeline for the allowing of security force personnel to join the GAA was before the implementation of the Patten report and IIRC was Seany Kelly being the lick ado politician that he finally became.
Alliance, the UUP and the SDLP were the first to jump up and down about Arlene when the RHI scandal broke. In fact the Shinners were being criticised for not jumping soon enough and when Martin did he and the Shinners were singled out, but not Naomi Long, Mike TV or Eastwood, why was that?
Will they go back into Stormont with Arlene at the helm? Who knows, but you'll be ready with your ill informed views either way that (a) if the do go back, they've been outmaneuvered by Arlene, blah blah blah or (b) they don't go back so they're then solely responsible for direct rule from Westminster blah blah blah.

Shinners have their faults but you just regurgitate the same nonsense time and time again with little fact to support.