Giant's Causeway visitor centre controversy

Started by Eamonnca1, July 13, 2012, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Was at the Causeway today and despite my earlier reservations, IMO the Creationism part of the exhibition is tiny and the whole thing is a storm in a teacup. In its context I think it is a legitimate part of the exhibition consodering the other 90% of the exhibition put the creation of the Causeway in its true geological context.

Gazzler

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 20, 2012, 10:48:55 PM
Was at the Causeway today and despite my earlier reservations, IMO the Creationism part of the exhibition is tiny and the whole thing is a storm in a teacup. In its context I think it is a legitimate part of the exhibition consodering the other 90% of the exhibition put the creation of the Causeway in its true geological context.

A storm in a teacup you say?
But there are a whole 200 people on Facebook who think different  ;D

Aerlik

I took mini-me to the Giant's Causeway the other day.  When we arrived we were told it would cost 8.50 for me and 5 quid for mini-me to park in the upper carpark and access the building.  When the National Trust person saw my horror at the price - clearly I was not the first to react this way - she told me I could, alternatively, park down the road for 6 quid but that would not include access to the building.  No big deal I thought.  So I did, except the lad there said 5 quid would do.

We went off and did our stuff at the Giant's Causeway and I must admit I was impressed with the place.  It had been about 20 years since I was last there - funny how things that are on your doorstep are usually not a priority - so we spent a bit of time taking photos etc.

On the way back we decided to buy some souvenirs.  As we were about to enter the building (it was about 6.50pm) we were told we would have to pay an entrance fee.  I told the man we had been down at the Causeway and were just looking for a few souvenirs.  In his finest "No Surrender" attitude he told me that I would have to pay to buy souvenirs.  Thinking maybe a gold coin donation to the National Trust or something, I nearly laughed in his face when he announced it would be 8.50 and 5 quid for junior.  I asked him if he was having me on.  He wasn't. 

As I left, I noticed a wee souvenir shop across the road and the man was bringing in his sign.  I went over, got in and bought my stuff and the man threw in a few freebies for good measure.  I told him what had happened and he just nodded saying I was not the first to have this experience and that it was great for his business too, as alot of people were not happy at being charged so much to go in to spend more, and were happy to come to his wee shop. 

Never mind the power of the Creator and all that fuss, the power of the mighty pound is an even greater force it would seem.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

bcarrier

A Giants Causeway thread this long without "worth seeing, but not worth going to see"  8)

johnneycool

Quote from: Aerlik on August 14, 2012, 07:22:07 AM
I took mini-me to the Giant's Causeway the other day.  When we arrived we were told it would cost 8.50 for me and 5 quid for mini-me to park in the upper carpark and access the building.  When the National Trust person saw my horror at the price - clearly I was not the first to react this way - she told me I could, alternatively, park down the road for 6 quid but that would not include access to the building.  No big deal I thought.  So I did, except the lad there said 5 quid would do.

We went off and did our stuff at the Giant's Causeway and I must admit I was impressed with the place.  It had been about 20 years since I was last there - funny how things that are on your doorstep are usually not a priority - so we spent a bit of time taking photos etc.

On the way back we decided to buy some souvenirs.  As we were about to enter the building (it was about 6.50pm) we were told we would have to pay an entrance fee.  I told the man we had been down at the Causeway and were just looking for a few souvenirs.  In his finest "No Surrender" attitude he told me that I would have to pay to buy souvenirs.  Thinking maybe a gold coin donation to the National Trust or something, I nearly laughed in his face when he announced it would be 8.50 and 5 quid for junior.  I asked him if he was having me on.  He wasn't. 

As I left, I noticed a wee souvenir shop across the road and the man was bringing in his sign.  I went over, got in and bought my stuff and the man threw in a few freebies for good measure.  I told him what had happened and he just nodded saying I was not the first to have this experience and that it was great for his business too, as alot of people were not happy at being charged so much to go in to spend more, and were happy to come to his wee shop. 

Never mind the power of the Creator and all that fuss, the power of the mighty pound is an even greater force it would seem.

Who sets those prices? The National Trust or a private concern?

Square Ball

I believe its the National Trust that determines the prices. BBC NI interviewed the National Trusts assistant director, cant find the actual interview but heres basically it, similar to Aerlik's experience:

The National Trust has said it will look at public concerns about signs at the Giant's Causeway to ensure members of the public know they can access the stones at the site for free.

The trust also said it would respond to a letter from the North Antrim MP Ian Paisley jnr, who described the £8.50 charge for adults as "excessive".

The National Trust said its pricing policy was very competitive when compared to other UK attractions.

The new visitors centre opened in July.

David Turner emigrated from Northern Ireland to Canada 40 years ago. He returned for a holiday this summer, and was shocked by visiting the Giant's Causeway.

"We arrived in Belfast and we decided to drive up the coast as we have always loved up there and eventually we ended up at the Giant's Causeway," he said.

"When we got there, this whole development was new to us, we hadn't seen it before.

Souvenirs
"We parked in the carpark and went inside. we saw that they had a price up on the wall - £8.50 to walk round to the Giant's Causeway.

"My wife has arthritis and my brother also has a bad leg, so we decided we wouldn't walk round, we'd just go in to the restaurant and have something to eat and maybe go into the shop and get some souvenirs.

"We were told we couldn't go into the shop without paying £8.50 per person, so I said 'I don't think so', and we left.

"We walked around the building and there was an old hotel there, that has been there for many years and we saw a sign that said they had a coffee shop and ice cream, so we went in there and we bought some souvenirs in there.

"When we were speaking to the ladies in the shop, they were saying that everyone's coming in there and they think they have to walk through and pay £8.50 to on the Giant's Causeway but you don't have to, you just walk around the building and there is an entrance there and it doesn't cost anything.

"It's been a right of way for over a hundred years."

The National Trust's assistant director of operations, Billy Reid explained the pricing structure at the Giant's Causeway.

"The causeway experience is an £8.50 charge if you drive in," he said.

"It's cheaper if you come by bus or public transport, there's a pound reduction - this also applies if you use the park and ride facilities in Bushmills.

"It's £4.25 for a child and there's a family ticket at £21. National Trust members go free."

'World-class'
Mr Reid defended the cost of using the centre.

"What we've tried to do at the Giant's Causeway and what we were tasked to do was to provide a world-class visitor experience for a world-class facility at an international destination.

"We've compared prices around the UK and actually £8.50 is very competitive.

"Most of our visitors and there have been 116,000 people through the centre since it opened on the 3 July - we're getting good feedback from the vast majority who are saying it's good value for money and they're having a really good time."

But the DUP MLA, Ian Paisley, who said he had been contacted by constituents, described the pricing plan as excessive.

"It potentially makes Northern Ireland most popular tourist location, less popular," he said.

Mr Paisley had previously lobbied on behalf on a private developer, Seymour Sweeney, who had wanted a rival visitor centre at the attraction.

In June, Mr Paisley described a decision by the National Trust to mount a legal challenge for another project he supported - a golf course close to the Giant's Causeway - as 'a national disgrace'.

The Causeway is a Unesco World Heritage Site and features more than 40,000 interlocking basalt columns formed millions of years ago by volcanic activity.

The £18.5m centre was opened by First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness on 3 July.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

johnneycool

For £18.5M I'd Be expecting the causeway itself to be fully roofed and air conditioned.

It must be some yolk of a place?

Evil Genius

Quote from: bcarrier on August 14, 2012, 12:27:41 PM
A Giants Causeway thread this long without "worth seeing, but not worth going to see"  8)
Just as Dr. Johnson's other, better-known aphorism was a criticism of Scoundrels, rather than Patriotism, the one to which you allude was saying more about the state of Ulster's roads in the 18th Century, than it was about the Causeway.

Of course, had God been responsible for the upkeep of the roads as well as the Causeway, then Johnson wouldn't have had this problem.  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Canalman

40,000 interlocking basalt colums, seemed alot less than that to me when I had the misfortune to visit the place some years ago . A massive disappointment and way smaller than it appears in pictures and geography books. Took ages to walk to it from the carpark as well.
Got way more enjoyment from walking the walls of Derry .

Interperative centre or not ..............a place to miss imvho.

winghalfun

I had a relation who worked as an employee for a short time with the National Trust. She said they were the most disorganised, incompetent bunch of idiots she had ever met at management level.

The people on the ground and the volunteers did their best but the people tasked with actually being creative and economical did not. There was no responsibilty and there was certainly no accountability. (just like the current N.I. Civil Service).

I remember reading not so long ago that the vast majority of people in Enniskillen thought the Castlecoole estate there was owned by the council. I believe they charge in there now.

Having said all that I am a card carrying member (@£34) which I think is fantastic value for money considering the amount of NT facilities there are not only in Northern Ireland but throughout the UK.

More energy and resources should be put into signing up new members.