Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: rashCharacter on October 19, 2017, 09:50:07 AM
Have to say i really enjoy listening to Parkinsons off the ball podcast - some very good discussion and he's an excellent interviewer.
I also enjoy listening to and reading Joe Brolly's articles.

Thats not to say i agree with what they are saying or every contribution they make is good.

+1

Franko

Quote from: redhandefender on October 18, 2017, 03:01:21 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2017, 02:10:15 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on October 18, 2017, 01:56:56 PM
Quote from: Last Man on October 17, 2017, 06:04:09 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on October 17, 2017, 04:48:48 PM
Quote from: longballin on October 17, 2017, 03:53:55 PM
Quote from: Last Man on October 17, 2017, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on October 17, 2017, 02:42:01 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 17, 2017, 10:11:34 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 AM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 17, 2017, 08:57:01 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
Yep and as pointed out previously, there are undoubtedly  hundreds of GAA loving Irish barristers who could present articulate and entertaining insights into our games. But as he's the one who happened to play the (amateur) sport at the highest level, he's the one who gets paid a hefty sum of money for doing so.

I'm still trying to work out how many degrees of separation from the game are necessary before he agrees and it is okay to profit from the game.

I'm not Brolly's biggest fan and disagree with many of his points of view but I've seen it noted in various places previously that he donates his Sunday Game & newspaper fees to charity.

If it were true Brolly would make sure it was well known!

It is widely known that this is the case and that he never charges for appearances at Club's either I'm prettu sure it was mentioned on the sportsjoe.ie podcast he was on.

He's a barrister sure what difference would 500 quid a few weeks of the year make to him for his RTE gig or for writing his column? I'm pretty sure he's in it for the notoriety more so than the money.

How do you know it's widely known?
I have read where Brolly states that he never charges for appearances at club events etc but never have head him or read where he said that he donates his RTE fee to charity.
Perhaps you could throw up a link?

Aye must've got a fair few quid for the kidney as well and all the work he does lobbying for CF sufferers to name a couple . The huer needs stopped in his tracks!  ::)

I agree with much of what Joe says and Cooper had this coming to him for telling porky pies on the Late Late Show... but of course Joe gets paid for RTE work. Like why wouldn't he? Being a sports pundit is not an amateur sport like say... Gaelic football

To be fair, he doesn't do it for the money. He's a barrister. He wants to have his opinion heard. That's all. He loves publicity.

In his day job he is there to present a case for his client in order to achieve the best possible outcome. Is there an element of theatre involved.? Undoubtedly yes but there is also no doubt about the intellect and sharp wit required to be one of the top performing barristers in the wee 6. Here's hoping you never need his services.

He made his money in the bar from gaa connections nothing to do with wit and intellect as you said. The firms he uses are not hiring because he is some form of genius I think you will find they are all gaa connected or through sinn fein connections.

Brolly has a warped mind. He does the gigs round the country to feed his ego and people buy that crap. If he was truelly doing it for selfless purposes he wouldn't be spouting it in a national paper or twitter.

The man needs help!

Emmm, I can tell you categorically that this is a TOTAL lie.  Why would you just make stuff up?

Emmmm, I can tell you its not. There is not that much difference between barristers, some bad ones yes but the successful one are mostly there because they have got an "in" with some firm of solicitors either by a family connection, connections from your Master or from a sporting background.

The bar of N Ireland is 100% based on this old school mentality. Once you get into one firm that way others will start using you. Most of them are masters at the BS/Acting nothing to do with some kind of super intellectual.

And some idiot above said hes one of the top in the jurisdiction I think you will find the top barristers have a QC beside there name which he doesn't. He is a junior barrister so wise up!

I'm sorry but you're either misinformed or just telling outright lies.  I know you may not like Brolly but that's no way to operate.

AND even it was true - what's the problem?  You've just clearly stated that that's exactly how the ENTIRE profession in the north works.

The bit in bold is horse manure.  There's an absolute world of difference in them.

Brolly has you tied up in knots and he's not even talking to you.

redhandefender

What are you talking about? Some one said he was one of the top barristers in the north, he is not! Brollys an egotistical attention seeker, end off. Are you in the profession in the north?

longballin

Brolly tells the truth.. ouch!

southtyronegael

yeah and its a pity a few more journalists around tyrone  wouldnt grow a pair and start tellin the truth. brolly is not a yes man.

Jim Bob

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 22, 2017, 02:52:33 PM
yeah and its a pity a few more journalists around tyrone  wouldnt grow a pair and start tellin the truth. brolly is not a yes man.

He says yes to every chance he gets to cause controversy
Also says yes to the RTE fee,
Not a yes man my h@@@

longballin

Quote from: Jim Bob on October 22, 2017, 03:29:44 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on October 22, 2017, 02:52:33 PM

He says yes to every chance he gets to cause controversy
Also says yes to the RTE fee,
Not a yes man my h@@@

what a daft comment... of course he takes his RTE fee... being a TV sports pundit is not an amateur sport  ::)

Jim Bob

Another Brolly b@@@licker!

longballin

Quote from: Jim Bob on October 22, 2017, 05:52:37 PM
Another Brolly b@@@licker!

another sheep afraid to face the truth ::)

bannside

Whatever your opinion of Joe, I don't think anyone can argue with the gist of what he is saying in this article and consistently in many others. The GAA is setting itself up as an elite sporting organisation when the truth is 99% of the activity is miles beneath this level.

In the clip attached above of his article in today's Sunday Indo is a photo of Joe with a lady who Joe describes as the grandmother of a player. What he modestly didn't point out that the same lady is the mother of Shane Finnegan, the guy who Joe donated his kidney to.

Zulu

I think what Joe says in that article is something most of us would agree with but there has always been an elite level and like all other levels, standards have been pushed higher and higher in the pursuit of victory. I doubt there is any amateur sport that hasn't become 'more professional' in the last 20 years. If we sorted out our fixtures and we would solve a lot of problems.

charlieTully

longballin

Quote from: charlieTully on October 22, 2017, 08:30:11 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 22, 2017, 07:23:54 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-its-now-a-question-of-what-we-truly-stand-for-36249217.html

is this total shite or retrospective? bizarre it would be Oct before an under 16 final would need to be played in any county.

and what difference if its retrospective? Truth hurting you?...

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"