Plane crash at Cork Airport - Flight from Belfast. 6 confirmed dead

Started by Tubberman, February 10, 2011, 10:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

My boss is one lucky man, happened to be sitting in the front and managed to find himself upside down after the impact. Had to wade through the wreckage before getting out.

He walked away unscathed!! Obviously his number was not up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rouge_Diablo

Agnes Dipesto

A miracle alright Milltown that your boss walked out of this. Hound I am so sorry about your friend.

Aerlik

Does anyone know what type of aircraft it was? 
Fog is so deceptive.  From above you may be able to see the runway but on approach the vision declines due to the angle of the approach.  With that comes the danger of depth perception decline, meaning that the runway may seem further away so you keep up or even increase approach speed and if you hit the ground too hard....well...not good.
I've been caught out by sea fog several times in Broome and Pt.hedland.  At certain times of the year I would always carry holding fuel and always had an alternative.
I'm fairly certain an aircraft of that size is not fitted with the instrumentation to approach in fog.  Muppet, is Cork suitable for zero vis landings?  would doubt it.

Sympathies to all.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

AZOffaly

Very sorry to hear about that Hound. RIP.

Declan

Milltown your boss is a very lucky man.
Hound  - Very sorry to hear that news. RIP th those who died and best wishes to those injured.

mylestheslasher

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Rois

Hound I'm so sorry. 

Aerlik, it was a Metro Liner.  I am quoting RTE but it's saying that Cork has "Category 2 instruments for landing".

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Sandino

I'm so sorry to hear about this crash. The conflicting emotions of Milltown and Hound serve to show just how fickle the nature of life is. A speedy recovery to the injured and my sincere condolences to Hound and to all those were bereaved. May they Rest in Peace.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on February 10, 2011, 01:55:55 PM
Hound I'm so sorry. 

Aerlik, it was a Metro Liner.  I am quoting RTE but it's saying that Cork has "Category 2 instruments for landing".
Yes, Fairchild Metroliner whatever that is. Sorry to hear of your news Hound.

The whole story is my worst nightmare as I am the world's worst flier.

Aerlik

The metro, known as the flying cigarette because of its shape.  They are common here in aus.  Not fitted to land in fog, and if memory serves me right, Cat II is not suitable for zero vis approach. 

Hound, my sympathies, buddy.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!