LIAM HANNAWAY HUNGER STRIKE

Started by funtime frankie, May 24, 2010, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUst retired

While I have no sympathy for his cause,  he should not be allowed to die. There is a simple solution to  to this. Move him to the wing he wants to go to. Are we in for another" Maggie Thatcher" type solution?

Zapatista

Quote from: J70 on May 25, 2010, 05:03:32 AM
While I would hope that any prisoner would be treated humanely, its hardly surprising that there aren't many people lining up to advocate for these people who want to plunge the north back into war and don't care who they murder or maim. Perhaps if he repudiated his "cause", he might get a bit of public support. Otherwise, I doubt if too many will lose too much sleep over him.

I think that after over 40 days on hungerstrike we can accept he won't be repudiating anything. He has a right to be in the Republican wing. The actions of the prison athourities are doing more to plunge the north back into war than one republican actions can ever do. The republicans are in lock up in individual cells for 23 hours a day yet feel like they can't protect him for one hour a day. Lies!!

This is a disgrace. Move him to where he wants to go. If he dies his blood will be on the hands of the prison athourities.

Myles Na G.

The Earwiggy Wankers (and all the various splinter groups) are desperate to have a martyr in order to add a bit of impetus to their campaign. The authorities shouldn't grant them their wishes. Hannaway should be shifted to wherever it is he wants to go, and then allowed to rot in obscurity for the duration of his sentence. Which is hopefully a considerable length of time.

Zapatista

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 25, 2010, 07:35:06 AM
The Earwiggy w**kers (and all the various splinter groups) are desperate to have a martyr in order to add a bit of impetus to their campaign. The authorities shouldn't grant them their wishes. Hannaway should be shifted to wherever it is he wants to go, and then allowed to rot in obscurity for the duration of his sentence. Which is hopefully a considerable length of time.

You are mixing Earwiggy up with someone else. They don't support armed republicanism.

funtime frankie

From what I read, I can see that Hannaway wants to be moved on to the Republican wing. So, what's the big deal?

It smacks of the prison authorities are trying to break him to use him as an example. Will they ever learn? The H Blocks was the battlefield where the last phase of the struggle was won.

The other lesson from history is that the prison struggle brought many people into the conflict who may not have been involved and my fear is that if this situation gets out of control then history will repeat itself.

I cannot understand why the plight of the prisoners in the jail is not being highlighted. Why has McGuinness as DFM not made a statement or used his office to intervene? Surely, it is in everybody's interest to have this worrying situation resolved, not least for Hannaway and his family.

Club Rossa

The Republican prisoners in Maghaberry are being treated shamefully.They are being denied the basic human right of washing,do not get their food on a regular basis and are being denied the right to exercise.
Obviously plenty of people do not agree with their politics and that's understandable but that does not justify the treatment they are getting.

Zapatista

Would this not be a job for the new Justice Minister?

Minder

Locked up for 23 hours? That's how it should be in prison.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Zapatista

THe Minister visited the prison last week and felt no reason to mention protesting prisoners even though one of them was entering the citical stage of a hungerstrike.

http://www.dojni.gov.uk/index/media-centre/minister_visits_maghaberry_prison.htm

I suggest to anyone who cares to email the minister and ask for his position.

Club Rossa

Minder,what about the beatings and the fact that they sometimes go 24-48 hours without food and days without washing.Do you approve of that too?

funtime frankie

Cleraly, this situation in the jail has to be resolved.

The last thing I want to see is the coffins of young Irishmen being carried throughout our countryside.

This madness needs to be resolved and resolved now before it gets too late

Hereiam

Its shows that the southern media have there own agenda as well. Not a mention of it on any of the stations or on the main website. This is shamefull on there part.

Minder

As someone said he is the wrong type of Republican, if he was the other type this thread would be on it's 50th page with all sorts of press releases and blogs from the usual lackeys.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

Quote from: J70 on May 25, 2010, 05:03:32 AM
While I would hope that any prisoner would be treated humanely, its hardly surprising that there aren't many people lining up to advocate for these people who want to plunge the north back into war and don't care who they murder or maim. Perhaps if he repudiated his "cause", he might get a bit of public support. Otherwise, I doubt if too many will lose too much sleep over him.

It's simply shocking that a republican in an Irish jail who wants to move to another part of the jail and is being denied his wish and it's even more shocking that not many people will lose much sleep over him. Just because he is not the so called "right" kind of republican.

Surely it's a case of history repeating itself on the part of the Brits but just because so called mainstream republicanism has "moved on" there's not a word from them.

Breathtaking in fact.

Ulick

Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2010, 10:06:16 AM
It's simply shocking that a republican in an Irish jail who wants to move to another part of the jail and is being denied his wish and it's even more shocking that not many people will lose much sleep over him. Just because he is not the so called "right" kind of republican.

Surely it's a case of history repeating itself on the part of the Brits but just because so called mainstream republicanism has "moved on" there's not a word from them.

Breathtaking in fact.

Eh? Just because Minder likes to spout off doesn't actually mean it's true.