The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

TabClear

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 28, 2018, 02:45:44 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I see Liverpool being linked with Alisson of Roma. They should break the bank though and try to get Oblak from Atletico.

I'm no Liverpool supporter but as a former keeper (in the loosest sense of the word) myself, I found myself watching his downfall through my fingers. Felt desperately sorry for the fella. A very lonely place. He got away with one against Roma - was it in the home leg - when he tried to fist a shot that went straight through him and onto the crossbar. Saturday night was a disaster waiting to happen and for that the manager should take a lot of the blame.

Agree with that. Most keepers will make a mistake like the second one at some point. Donnamura had one in the Italian cup final. The 1st one was a complete lack of concentration but again, it happens.

I don't think he's good enough or ever will be if Liverpool want to challenge consistently for honours.The fact that both mistakes were on the same night on the biggest game of his life means he's definitely too unlucky if nothing else :P

manfromdelmonte

Wait until Real or Barca come in for Salah

It'll be just like with Saurez and Coutinho

Minus15

I don't post in here very often but still read with interest. I completely agree with J70. Champions League and Premier League are what is important. If you can't compete for both then it is nice to win one of the domestic cups. It is about winning trophies but the trophies that really matter. The evolution of the champions league, the importance of competing in that competition regularly and the impact it has on the whole club and it's ability to attract the best talent, mean that qualifying for it has superseded a domestic cup win in my opinion.

I would take 3 champions league final appearances and the thrills of this year over an FA Cup or a League Cup. It could be just me. But it shows that they are developing into a good side and puts them up there in the eyes of every player in Europe as a desirable place to play their football. Although sad, winning the FA Cup means so little these days. Just look at Arsenal. The FA Cup has meant precious little for 10-15 years now for the biggest clubs.

Hoping Liverpool can capitalise this summer.

Klopp made an interesting comment post-match on Saturday night when he said that Karius' second error was down to the first and that it is so difficult to control the mind after the first goal. Now hindsight is a wonderful thing but after the first goal, I did consider that it might be best to put Mignolet on for him for that exact reason. I wonder given Klopp's comments that it also crossed his mind. Maybe a waste of a sub given they had already used one so early and with the prospect of extra time / having to chase the game late on.

Karius won't come back from this. I thought he had been doing pretty well but there have always been doubts. Pepe Reina is the only keeper Liverpool have had in 20 years where there were no doubts. Dudek when he first came in was similar until his Old Trafford nightmares. Liverpool need to do a Van dijk in this position and go out and spend the money on someone in the top 4 or 5 in the world. Anyone else and there will be constant scrutiny and more than likely failure.

On Fabinho, know very little but nice to see quick business being done. I reckon a lot of the signings are already lined up and 3 or 4 could follow before the world cup. Klopp's record in the transfer record has been a standout positive of his reign.

under the bar

Quote from: laoislad on May 28, 2018, 09:06:22 PM
That came out of nowhere!!
Can't say I know anything about him though!

Has to be an upgrade on Karius tho!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: laoislad on May 28, 2018, 09:06:22 PM
That came out of nowhere!!
Can't say I know anything about him though!
He can play either DM or right back.
Id say there is a good chance Clyne might move on now, TAA seems to be first choice and  robinho and gomez can provide cover.

It will be interesting to see who else moves on as well.
I expect maybe ings to leave and if they can get a striker in Solanke may go on loan somewhere. Can already gone to Juve.
There probably wont be alot more out goings though as the squad was stretched very thin towards the end of the season
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maroon Manc

Thought Liverpool needed to score early on to win the game, Madrid's dominance coincided with Salah going off but there's no way Liverpool were going to keep that level of pressing going for much longer anyway.

Watched a lot of Monaco in 16/17 and Fabinho was brilliant, apparently not so good last season but reckon Klopp with get the best out of him so it should be a great signing. If Liverpool can bring in a keeper and another centre half their first 11 is up there with anyone else's in Europe although you certainly look far too light in quality up from if any of the front 3 are injured.

Boycey

What was the story with the pitch invader at the end on Saturday night, I never saw it reported anywhere after, a Madridista wanting to celebrate with Ronaldo? Disgruntled Liverpool fan? A cranky Save the Eighth voter protesting?

J70

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 29, 2018, 12:09:17 PM
Thought Liverpool needed to score early on to win the game, Madrid's dominance coincided with Salah going off but there's no way Liverpool were going to keep that level of pressing going for much longer anyway.

Watched a lot of Monaco in 16/17 and Fabinho was brilliant, apparently not so good last season but reckon Klopp with get the best out of him so it should be a great signing. If Liverpool can bring in a keeper and another centre half their first 11 is up there with anyone else's in Europe although you certainly look far too light in quality up from if any of the front 3 are injured.

You're right, there's no way Liverpool could have kept it up. I think Madrid were just starting to come into it anyway when Salah got injured.

All that said, Madrid were no great shakes ( but then they didn't need to be). They beat a desperately thin Liverpool squad thanks to the loss of Liverpool's best player, an all-time great wonder goal, and an unprecedented horror show from Karius. Ronaldo hardly got a touch. Benzema did little except for the gifted goal. The likes of City should be looking at that with serious regrets.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2018, 05:45:54 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 29, 2018, 12:09:17 PM

You're right, there's no way Liverpool could have kept it up. I think Madrid were just starting to come into it anyway when Salah got injured.

All that said, Madrid were no great shakes ( but then they didn't need to be). They beat a desperately thin Liverpool squad thanks to the loss of Liverpool's best player, an all-time great wonder goal, and an unprecedented horror show from Karius. Ronaldo hardly got a touch. Benzema did little except for the gifted goal. The likes of City should be looking at that with serious regrets.

Real Madrid was certainly no great shakes this season anyway.

Where they finished and what points they got the last few seasons.

2018 3rd 76 points
2017 1st 93 points
2016 2nd 90 points
2015 2nd 92 points

Manchester City flatter to deceive in the champions league, Juve the team with the serious regrets i would say and it could have been a perfect send off for Buffon.

Ambrose

We give Roma whatever they want for Allison anything else and we are just kidding ourselves.
We also need to learn some in game management, maybe Keita will bring some of that with him but we are just too nice as things stand.
Bales goal was worthy of winning any game, but we gifted them another two. That's another one we left behind us.

Progress is winning trophies, anything else is just bullshit and excuses. Is Klopp wearing the emperors new clothes?
You can't live off history and tradition forever

tiempo

Rory Beggan would be a serious upgrade.

J70

Quote from: Ambrose on May 29, 2018, 11:09:35 PM
We give Roma whatever they want for Allison anything else and we are just kidding ourselves.
We also need to learn some in game management, maybe Keita will bring some of that with him but we are just too nice as things stand.
Bales goal was worthy of winning any game, but we gifted them another two. That's another one we left behind us.

Progress is winning trophies, anything else is just bullshit and excuses. Is Klopp wearing the emperors new clothes?

You should consider looking up the word "progress" in the dictionary.

supersub

Quote from: Ambrose on May 29, 2018, 11:09:35 PM

Considering Liverpool had only finished in the top 4 once in the previous 6 seasons before last season, thus a distinct lack of CL football, to get to the final in their first season 'back' is progress in anyones book. Sustaining a top 4 presence and consistent appearances in the CL is progress, with the same having been achieved this season. Progress after this would be finishing higher/winning the league and or a cup or two, no doubt. But in terms of 'progress' Klopp has more than made just that in his time.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me