what sport is the Art of striking a dead ball between 2 Posts the most difficult

Started by Maroon Heaven, January 29, 2009, 06:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 07:51:02 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 30, 2009, 07:37:23 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 07:21:01 PM
Quoteyou'll have to take 65's. only fair

So you're saying it's easier to score points in hurling. Isn't that the opposite of what you've just been arguing?

Sure if you think it is easier to score points in hurling then you shouldn't have a problem taking them from 65?

Sure if you think it's easier to score points in football then you shouldn't have a problem with me  taking them from 45?

I don't have a problem with it....
Do you not think you'd score them from 65 though or why was 45 mentioned first as if we were to stick to the rules of each game then a 45 in football is hurlings equivalent of a 65?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hardy

We were talking about whether it's easier to score in hurling or football, not whether it's easier to score from a short distance in football than from a long distance in hurling. Are ya looking to back out? :P

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 07:52:12 PM
Muppet I'm confused now. I don't know whether it's oranges or bananas I'm supposed to be using and now a second chimp has appeared on the scene.

Sorry about the confusion. The chimp from Pontzpass arrived but he has a chimp on his shoulder. Hence the second chimp.
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 08:03:11 PM
We were talking about whether it's easier to score in hurling or football, not whether it's easier to score from a short distance in football than from a long distance in hurling. Are ya looking to back out? :P

Not at all are you  :D
But I assumed all along that when people were comparing both that they were following real life scenarios and in hurling a 65 is the same as a 45 in football...
You never answered my question btw  :P
You'll Never Walk Alone.

youngfella

Interesting thread, good to see battle between the force of good (hurling) and evil (football).

Like a few lads i've olayed all four of the sports mentioned. Allow hurling would be my main sport. I feel i should give my views

Hitting a 65 in hurling about techinque rather than power. Once you step behind the 75 yard mark it becomes more about power.
The art of hitting a dead ball over the bar in football is about power. Less people can do it because it requires more muscle.
Rugby is about judgement of the conditions and setting the ball up correctly.
American football i know less about this one, imagine its simlar to rugby tho.

Im living over in liverpool, and have being teaching my english flatmate how to play hurling and gealic football.

He has most trouble with taking a free in hurling, id say from the he'd be lucky to score 3/10 from the 21. theres 4 differents bits to it, lining it up, the lift, the flick and strike. He has less bother putting over a size 5 from the 21 7/10 maybe.

Therefore id say a for a total novice hurling would the be most awkward.

Allow henry shefflin and eoin kelly make it look very easy.
Pull hard and early

Zulu

This, as was always going to happen, is going around in circles but your friend would have some grounding in the art of kicking a ball (unless he is from Mars) but none in hurling therefore it isn't a fair comparison. Once he is ok with the technique of striking the ball he would undoubtedly score more with the small ball from the same areas than he would with the big one.

youngfella

Pull hard and early

Canalman

Hit over 4 out of 4  65s (never hit one  before or since) one day in club hurling match many years ago when deputizing for our freetaker who was away.  He is lethal at them and nearly scores them all.

Imo scoring a 45 is harder. However scoring a goal in top level soccer imo is the most skilful/lethal of them all.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Canalman on January 30, 2009, 10:52:18 PM

However scoring a goal in top level soccer imo is the most skilful/lethal of them all.

The soccer bashers on this board are gonna love that one  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

youngfella

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 30, 2009, 10:57:33 PM
Quote from: Canalman on January 30, 2009, 10:52:18 PM

However scoring a goal in top level soccer imo is the most skilful/lethal of them all.

The soccer bashers on this board are gonna love that one  :D

has got a point tho, a wall blocking the path to net.
Pull hard and early