Laois Intermediate Football Championship 2018

Started by The PRO, July 11, 2018, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

People should just look at what Castleknock has achieved to see your answer. All it will take is a few people with the drive and ambition to get a club started and yes you start at the bottom with kids. Jaysus there has to be enough new residents in Portlaoise with young families to do this. Look at the amount of clubs that are started at juvenile level in places like London from scratch.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on September 19, 2018, 11:41:28 PM
People should just look at what Castleknock has achieved to see your answer. All it will take is a few people with the drive and ambition to get a club started and yes you start at the bottom with kids. Jaysus there has to be enough new residents in Portlaoise with young families to do this. Look at the amount of clubs that are started at juvenile level in places like London from scratch.
Portlaoise couldnt get officers at the start of the year, where in gods name are a new club to get them?

Chrimtain

Quote from: Don Draper on September 20, 2018, 01:10:36 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on September 19, 2018, 11:41:28 PM
Portlaoise couldnt get officers at the start of the year, where in gods name are a new club to get them?

In a town as big as Portlaoise, there has to be enough people interested in starting a new club. I would think that newcomers to the town may feel disinclined to get involved in an existing club, but may feel more inclined to do so with an entirely new club.

I have to wonder too, what the hell are The Heath at, and why are they not attracting discarded or disgruntled players from the town?

Jd

People are essentially creatures who want convenience. If they're living in fairgreen and  they have to travel across town through traffic to get to football then they won't but if the pitch is a few hundred yards up the road then they will try it. As regards officers all clubs struggle but if you have a fresh fella or lady with new ideas they might be more likely to join up where they feel their ideas will be listened to rather than go to the huge club where they feel they may not be listened to or play a major part in running the club

on the hop

Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 19, 2018, 05:57:05 PM
It sickens me that as soon as a team starts becoming dominant the first question people ask is " ohh should we split them into two clubs" Portlaoise should be focusing on winning a Leinster this year beacause a Leinster title is badly due in Portlaoise ,especially for the size of the club. I can't see Portlaoise being split in two either , Tullamore has one club , so has Naas, it's not uncommon .

Same where I live, lots of big towns, one team in celbridge, one in maynooth, one in Kilcock, two in leixlip but both average at best. lot of soccer teams though due to the influence of the blue plague. plenty of teams in the rural areas around these towns though.

Laois fan

Apart from tullamore your naming towns that dont have a big gaa history and are mainly commuter or rugby towns,newbridge and portarlington are two towns with 2 clubs.plaois for the size its become should have at the very least a second juvenile club

Don Draper

Quote from: Laois fan on September 20, 2018, 08:50:13 PM
Apart from tullamore your naming towns that dont have a big gaa history and are mainly commuter or rugby towns,newbridge and portarlington are two towns with 2 clubs.plaois for the size its become should have at the very least a second juvenile club
you left out an important point. All those towns are also shitholes.

BallyroanAbbey

Don Draper

BallyroanAbbey

Quote from: Don Draper on September 21, 2018, 10:55:19 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on September 20, 2018, 09:42:24 PM
compared to euphoria that is portlaoise ???
Euphoria is a feeling not a place.

touche don, touche

Back to the point, the amount of players Portlaoise can and have thrown by the wasteside is frightening, there should definitely be a second club set up in the town started at juvenile level and gradually progress over a 7 to 8 year period either offer the use of the centre of excellence or make a deal with the school in knockmay for use of their pitch

Butch Cassidy

Anyone have the % of underage playing numbers in Laois? I'd say the % of underage players in Portlaoise, Portarlington, Mountmellick is very low. Raising this should be a priority!!

clonadmad

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on September 21, 2018, 12:15:59 PM
Anyone have the % of underage playing numbers in Laois? I'd say the % of underage players in Portlaoise, Portarlington, Mountmellick is very low. Raising this should be a priority!!

In 2017 in portlaoise parish there was over 1100 boys in primary school

clonadmad

A lot of this was done inthe future of hurling thread

O moore parklife

Back to the thread hope courtwood do it.
Gaels in general sits uneasy with me.
Gaels in intermediate is wrong
Gaels needed to prop up a town the size of mountmellick is crazy.