Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyCake on September 14, 2020, 10:51:36 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 14, 2020, 09:38:35 AM
The guy's number is up. He hasn't advanced in years. He's useless and I do not understand why spurs went near him. (Though in saying that they will be nowhere near relegation if he stays I suspect)

Jose was found out in his last season at Madrid. That was 2013. Baffling how he still gets big jobs. And he will again after Tottenham get rid of him.

In fairness, he did get United a 2nd place finish. As time goes on, that does look like a fairly decent achievement (as well as Europa League).

Bronco

That 2nd place finish is nearly as impressive as any of his trophies given the dearth of quality in the side.

He's not my cup of tea but there's no denying his managerial record. The simple truth is the players he has at Spurs are a really poor bunch.

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 14, 2020, 10:56:01 AM
The guy's number is up. He hasn't advanced in years. He's useless and I do not understand why spurs went near him. (Though in saying that they will be nowhere near relegation if he stays I suspect)

Jose was found out in his last season at Madrid. That was 2013. Baffling how he still gets big jobs. And he will again after Tottenham get rid of him.

In fairness, he did get United a 2nd place finish. As time goes on, that does look like a fairly decent achievement (as well as Europa League).

Angelo

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

lurganblue

They're linked with Ings this morning. They would need to have a look at their MF if Winks is still getting a game.

Bronco

Agree on Winks, he's not good enough. But they have so many problems in the side. The keeper seems to make a howler every 3 or 4 games, full backs have been poor for years, the current pair Davies and Doherty aren't great, and there's a lack of creativity in midfield since Eriksen left.

Honestly think a top four finish with the current side would be an amazing acheivement and massively unlikely. As the squad stands I can't see them finishing higher than 6th unless Arsenal make a mess of things.

Quote from: lurganblue on September 14, 2020, 12:29:50 PM
They're linked with Ings this morning. They would need to have a look at their MF if Winks is still getting a game.

screenexile

Quote from: Angelo on September 14, 2020, 12:21:22 PM
Are Spurs really a big club?

Watch this space. . . if they get the NFL franchise they will be a big club!

Bronco

Never understood the big club thing. What difference does it make whether they are or aren't? Ultimately to be successful they need to attract the best players,and to do that they need to offer things like money, stadium, quality of life etc. On that front they are a London club with a fantastic stadium, and long-term once the revenues ramp up they'll be in a pretty good position.

Hound

Jose's league finishing achievement was the equivalent to Ole last season. Not contending for the league but secured a CL spot. Last season nobody cared who finished 3rd or 4th (I can't even remember whether it was Chelsea or ManU), the critical thing was not being 5th or 6th, which both Lampard and OGS can be satisfied with. In that year Jose came 2nd, the CL spots 2-4 were reasonably secure about a month out, with none of the 3 being anywhere near City. Nobody cared who finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th (apart from Jose).

Jose did trump Ole by winning the Europa League, which Ole made a reasonably good shot at. Arguably Jose got an easier draw, but you can only beat what's put in front of you.

BennyCake

Jose comes out of every job smelling of roses. Because it's all about him, not the team.

I remember Fellaini heading a late winner Europa League once, and Jose smashing and kicking drinks bottles on the sideline. It's all about me. Look what I done. That goal was all about me. I'm dealing with a limited squad, they won't give me money to spend, but feck me, I'm still a genius! He's Brolly-esque, a narcissist.

Capt Pat

Chelsea cruising 3-1 up against Brighton after not playing all that well. 2 of their goals coming from a misplaced backpass and a deflection. I have been disappointed with Havertz who hasn't produced much.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2020, 02:19:30 PM

Jose's league finishing achievement was the equivalent to Ole last season. Not contending for the league but secured a CL spot. Last season nobody cared who finished 3rd or 4th (I can't even remember whether it was Chelsea or ManU), the critical thing was not being 5th or 6th, which both Lampard and OGS can be satisfied with. In that year Jose came 2nd, the CL spots 2-4 were reasonably secure about a month out, with none of the 3 being anywhere near City. Nobody cared who finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th (apart from Jose).

Jose did trump Ole by winning the Europa League, which Ole made a reasonably good shot at. Arguably Jose got an easier draw, but you can only beat what's put in front of you.

Mourinho also won the Carling Cup. I think he's responsible for 2 of the 3 trophies won by Utd since Ferguson moved on?

Utd fans have no love for Mourinho, but without him, it would have been a solitary FA Cup by Van Gaal in nearly a decade. Simply not good enough. 

lurganblue

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 14, 2020, 09:55:12 PM
Chelsea cruising 3-1 up against Brighton after not playing all that well. 2 of their goals coming from a misplaced backpass and a deflection. I have been disappointed with Havertz who hasn't produced much.

Defo wasn't a good start for him or his selection in my dream team. Werner looked very sharp though, and will be a great addition.

laoislad

Leeds are some craic to watch. What a mental game this is.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Capt Pat

City got out of jail there in the end. City were dominant in the first half but Wolves missed some easy chances in the second half that could have changed the outcome of the game. 3-1 to city with a last second goal.