Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: thewobbler on April 19, 2018, 02:24:24 PM
I'm not anti-development squads by any means.

They clearly serve a purpose in helping players from less-enumerated clubs and non-footballing schools to learn, meet and aspire, by playing amongst the brightest talents from bigger clubs and schools.

But I'm really struggling with the concept that 53 x 13 year-olds are needed for u14 county training on Saturdays, just as the club season is ramping into gear. Dragging players an hour from home to be part of a glorified sportsday isn't going to help anyone.

Fair point Wobbler but then if you select just 25 lads everyone involved gets slapped with accusations of favoritism and nepotism. Also the big East Down/South Down argument rears its head again

thewobbler

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 23, 2018, 01:43:49 PM

They clearly serve a purpose in helping players from less-enumerated clubs and non-footballing schools to learn, meet and aspire, by playing amongst the brightest talents from bigger clubs and schools.

But I'm really struggling with the concept that 53 x 13 year-olds are needed for u14 county training on Saturdays, just as the club season is ramping into gear. Dragging players an hour from home to be part of a glorified sportsday isn't going to help anyone.

Fair point Wobbler but then if you select just 25 lads everyone involved gets slapped with accusations of favoritism and nepotism. Also the big East Down/South Down argument rears its head again

Unless there has been a once-every-hundred-years biological blip, there simply cannot be 53 lads at that age with the natural athleticism needed to be a county player. I'd be surprised if there's even 23.

Personally I just don't see how it benefits either the weaker or stronger players to be involved in such a large group. It cannot be much different to playing under-14 club games, where the stronger players have to pair up against each other and cancel each other out, otherwise they just run amok.

downjim

These coaches should be sent out to develop coaches in other clubs to improve club coaching especially in the weaker clubs. There are too much emphasis on dev squads and improved coaching is needed in a good few schools.

johnnycool

Quote from: downjim on April 23, 2018, 02:46:14 PM
These coaches should be sent out to develop coaches in other clubs to improve club coaching especially in the weaker clubs. There are too much emphasis on dev squads and improved coaching is needed in a good few schools.

That depends on whether the coaches looking after the "ETS" squads are any better than they're getting at home!

Lecale Gael

Quote from: downjim on April 17, 2018, 09:36:52 PM
Bad start for the Town but they must have a Bobby Dazzell cup final to look forward to

no they don't have that either
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Lecale Gael

of those 53 players selected you will find 40/45 make the sessions every given time with hols injuries or something or other coming up. also players will invariably decide its not for them and leave so its a working size which will trim part by choice and then by time 2019 comes round you will invite new lads to trials and if they are stronger than some of the U14 panel the squad will be trimmed again

JimmyFloydMay123

After round 5 in the minor league, any team impressing? Or is it too early?

thewobbler

Quote from: Lecale Gael on April 24, 2018, 01:58:45 PM

of those 53 players selected you will find 40/45 make the sessions every given time with hols injuries or something or other coming up. also players will invariably decide its not for them and leave so its a working size which will trim part by choice and then by time 2019 comes round you will invite new lads to trials and if they are stronger than some of the U14 panel the squad will be trimmed again

I get what you're saying, but it still doesn't answer:

- why anyone needs 40/45 players at a training session, and what can possibly be learned from having so many players around?

- what benefit there is for anyone when the 1st and 2nd best talents in the county match up against the 52nd and 53rd?

Mourne Red

Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2018, 03:57:53 PM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on April 24, 2018, 01:58:45 PM

I get what you're saying, but it still doesn't answer:

- why anyone needs 40/45 players at a training session, and what can possibly be learned from having so many players around?

- what benefit there is for anyone when the 1st and 2nd best talents in the county match up against the 52nd and 53rd?

Depending on the attitude of the 52nd/53rd it could push them on? Training and playing with better players will in turn make them better which IF they continue to play Gaelic to senior level will improve Club football in Down so in turn maybe helping County team

stiff breeze

Have to say I agree with wobbler on this for a few reasons, The development squad system is massively flawed,

These are suppossed to be development squads , the key word being develop. The main way to develop an underage player is with a ball in my opinion , i'm not sure how much actual ball time players would get in a session containing 45 lads. Small sided games with half that amount at training would be a much better idea , if that means splitting the session so be it .

Secondly its mainly the same players trotted off each year, yes some may be supremly talented in their club but others are sent year after year by the same manager who has had the same team in the club for x number of years. That happens in most clubs .

A much better system would be to coach the club coaches more . Put the time wasted on development squads into sending the  "elite" coaches who are obviously heading up these squads around the clubs week after week and improve club coaching so that every player is getting the benefit of that level of training.

downjim

Great game in Kilcoo last night between our county's two top clubs. There is not much between the two at the end of the season.
I heard their was trouble in the Bridge last night?

Lecale Gael

Quote from: JimmyFloydMay123 on April 24, 2018, 10:19:57 PM
After round 5 in the minor league, any team impressing? Or is it too early?

Ballyholland and Burren the two strongest with Kilcoo also in the mix

But with players starred and exam period approaching the league will throw up some unpredictable results

the championship is wide open

Feckmylife

Quote from: downjim on April 28, 2018, 10:13:16 AM
Great game in Kilcoo last night between our county's two top clubs. There is not much between the two at the end of the season.
Are Burren in our county's top two??

stiff breeze

Quote from: downjim on April 28, 2018, 10:13:16 AM

Top 2 lol , that's clutching . Second place is just another name for the first loser

Targetman

Down u17's beat Armagh 0-11 to 0-8 aet in Newry this evening, while its always good to beat Armagh this was not great viewing, Down never scored in the second half of normal time which sort of sums up the poor standard on offer, mistakes galore by both teams kept it close, best player on the field for me was Down's full back (Lorcan Toal,Carryduff)