Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 11, 2017, 01:53:38 PM
Quote from: breakingball on September 11, 2017, 01:47:47 PM
Apparently carey put out a dud team yesterday as they have it on good word that leagues are being changed.

I think the main thing needs changing is the 3/4 league, everything else seems fine

The 3/4 league is a disgrace and does nothing but hurt the weakest clubs in the county, absolute madness to even try it

breakingball

Quote from: theskull1 on September 11, 2017, 04:04:44 PM
Too many games for dual clubs is one big issue with that number in the league

well what about having a split and going into a division 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b scenario like the football. more than likely keeps the leagues interesting right until the end.

also all division 3/4 clubs played 16 league games this years. 10 team leagues would mean 2 more without a split or 3 less with a split.

podge

Quote from: MoChara on September 11, 2017, 07:08:13 PM
Apparently carey put out a dud team yesterday as they have it on good word that leagues are being changed.

I think the main thing needs changing is the 3/4 league, everything else seems fine

The 3/4 league is a disgrace and does nothing but hurt the weakest clubs in the county, absolute madness to even try it

Really? I don't agree with how it came about and I don't think it should ever have happened but I don't think it was that big a disaster. The teams that like LochMor Gaels would have been hammered week in week out had it just been div 4. Most of the teams were competitive enough and there were a couple who would have been div 4 that more than held their own against some of the Div 3 teams and finished comfortable in the top half.

podge

'Good authority'. Total bullshit. Based on the evidence of the last numerous years, no one could possibly predict how the leagues might look next year. Carey are some mugs if they took that approach based on anyones authority. Maybe they just took a gamble that they might change which is just about the same as basing it on someone's good authority

faughs

Maybe they have a championship final on Saturday and don't want to risk injuries!

hurlingstick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 11, 2017, 07:31:11 AM
Quote from: hurlingstick on September 11, 2017, 06:31:25 AM
Quote from: ciaran1988 on September 10, 2017, 11:59:29 PM
Carey took some beating from St Johns and get relegated after Randlestown's comeback against Armoy. Was anyone at the St Johns v Carey game? Did they rest players for next week? Taking a beating like that just before championship final surely can't be good for them. Sarsfields maybe favourites going into it.

There was a 6 minute delay at the very end of the Armoy game while the referee decided if a shot was wide or a point. After ignoring advice to go with the near umpire and stating himself that "my instinct was it was wide" he in very peculiar circumstances gave a point. This was one of 3 bizarre incidents from him in the last 4 minutes. If I were a Carey member I'd be absolutely furious.....it relegated them after Armoy leading the entire game......I've never seen anything like it.

Surely how you perform over the season decides whether out not you are relegated? Didn't realise that the last game is winner takes all.. why play all those games? Just play one

The officiating from the referee was shocking was my point. Taking 6 minutes to decide if a score was or wasn't .....I've never seen anything like it!! You're right about the results over the course of a season. However if Carey people had witnessed the last few minutes they'd have been bewildered.

MoChara

Quote from: podge on September 11, 2017, 07:32:56 PM
Quote from: MoChara on September 11, 2017, 07:08:13 PM

Really? I don't agree with how it came about and I don't think it should ever have happened but I don't think it was that big a disaster. The teams that like LochMor Gaels would have been hammered week in week out had it just been div 4. Most of the teams were competitive enough and there were a couple who would have been div 4 that more than held their own against some of the Div 3 teams and finished comfortable in the top half.

Think about the teams in the middle where they would be building up to a league win but instead 4 teams with a point between them in the end, but sure what's the point when you'll get no more plaudits for coming 10th or 11th. The likes of Loch Mor must have found it hard to keep interest in going out to certain annihilation instead of the hope to give someone a bloody nose

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hurlingstick on September 11, 2017, 08:16:14 PM
Carey took some beating from St Johns and get relegated after Randlestown's comeback against Armoy. Was anyone at the St Johns v Carey game? Did they rest players for next week? Taking a beating like that just before championship final surely can't be good for them. Sarsfields maybe favourites going into it.

There was a 6 minute delay at the very end of the Armoy game while the referee decided if a shot was wide or a point. After ignoring advice to go with the near umpire and stating himself that "my instinct was it was wide" he in very peculiar circumstances gave a point. This was one of 3 bizarre incidents from him in the last 4 minutes. If I were a Carey member I'd be absolutely furious.....it relegated them after Armoy leading the entire game......I've never seen anything like it.

Surely how you perform over the season decides whether out not you are relegated? Didn't realise that the last game is winner takes all.. why play all those games? Just play one

The officiating from the referee was shocking was my point. Taking 6 minutes to decide if a score was or wasn't .....I've never seen anything like it!! You're right about the results over the course of a season. However if Carey people had witnessed the last few minutes they'd have been bewildered.

Granted on the time of deciding the score, from my own experience using home and away umpires is difficult and in tight games I try my level best to get behind the ball and call it myself, for a lot of scores it's impossible but you try your best.

I've overruled many an umpire basing it purely on my positioning, I explain it and move on . I speak to the umpires at half time or at the end and explain, very difficult to not give your team a dodgy point!

I've even had grounds where they have changed scores on the board !
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 11, 2017, 08:55:20 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on September 11, 2017, 08:16:14 PM

Granted on the time of deciding the score, from my own experience using home and away umpires is difficult and in tight games I try my level best to get behind the ball and call it myself, for a lot of scores it's impossible but you try your best.

I've overruled many an umpire basing it purely on my positioning, I explain it and move on . I speak to the umpires at half time or at the end and explain, very difficult to not give your team a dodgy point!

I've even had grounds where they have changed scores on the board !

The poor guy just buckled under pressure. His big mistake was stating "my instinct was it was wide"....then giving a point. I think the best way is to go to the umpire closest to the ball.

Unfortunately we've no solution to club umpires in league games.

breakingball

Cushendall 1/4 dunloy 5/2

As it stands Cushendall win that game 8 times out of 10 in my opinion
Think sarsfields will account for carey ok
As for the junior game it's the hardest of the three to call. Glenarm to just edge it... maybe

north aontroim gael

About Sunday.....better team on the day won. Cushendall's wayward shooting kept us within touching distance until the death.

Its disappointing and I'm sure the lads feel they didn't do themselves justice with too many below par performances on the day but hats of to Cushendall who fought for every ball.

Best of luck to them and Dunloy in the final.

podge

Quote from: faughs on September 11, 2017, 08:13:04 PM
Maybe they have a championship final on Saturday and don't want to risk injuries!

I wasn't having a go at Carey by the way- fully understand why they would hold players back . I do challenge the suggestion that there is such a thing as a 'good authority' when it comes to what next years league might look like

ciaran1988

Will the Armoy pitch be able to take the 2 finals on Saturday. Was a mud bath on Sunday and the weather won't be improving anytime soon.

Carey v Sarsfields - Sarsfields by 3
Glenarm v Gort Na Mona - Glenarm by 6

Jesusjones

Quote from: ciaran1988 on September 12, 2017, 10:33:04 PM
Will the Armoy pitch be able to take the 2 finals on Saturday. Was a mud bath on Sunday and the weather won't be improving anytime soon.

Think your being a bit sore on Ballycastle who had their pitch in good shape given the rain. It was soggy in the corner down at the pavilion but the rest of it held up very well.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 13, 2017, 06:12:16 AM
Quote from: ciaran1988 on September 12, 2017, 10:33:04 PM

Think your being a bit sore on Ballycastle who had their pitch in good shape given the rain. It was soggy in the corner down at the pavilion but the rest of it held up very well.

Agree, was hardly a mudbath apart from the bottom corner.