Ban on Charity Kit

Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 27, 2023, 12:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

The only thing predictable is your jumping on a GAA bashing story.

GAA should be non-political, where do you draw the line on what is an acceptable cause.

Rossfan

Quote from: LeoMc on March 27, 2023, 11:57:22 AM

GAA should be non-political, where do you draw the line on what is an acceptable cause.

+1
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Have to say I commend the GAA on this. Stay the feck away from anything that can open a can of worms. Keep things simple.

RedHand88

Other sports have been completely hijacked in recent years.  Good to see the GAA take this stand.

Baile Brigín 2

How is this GAA bashing you nut?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 27, 2023, 12:11:23 PM
Have to say I commend the GAA on this. Stay the feck away from anything that can open a can of worms. Keep things simple.

Agreed. But how much did Dublin raise for the Aoibheann pink tie charity? Surely there is something in the middle short of an outright charity ban? This appears to ban black armbands - harsh

Mourne Red

I agree and disagree on this.. My own club we have cancer research on a training jersey then there's club who support heart foundation, opt for life and then Kevin Bell Trust too. I do know why they're doing it, avoid any political or ideological disagreements down the road but disappointing that health charities couldn't get an exception.

Also they ripped the arse out of GAA jerseys with the Easter rising, proclamations etc Seems a bit contradictory

LeoMc

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 27, 2023, 12:47:29 PM

How is this GAA bashing you nut?
So you are not putting up the story because you think it shows the GAA in a bad light, you agree with it?

general_lee

A fair few clubs have charities as their sponsors. Surely they could give some discretion to clubs?

thewobbler

I sincerely doubt this ban will apply to primary shirt sponsorship; that would be practically unworkable.

I imagine it's focused more on preventing the creation of additional advertising spaces on a jersey.

blanketattack

GAA: "We want to remain non-political"
GAA: *allows clubs to be named after hunger strikers and allows GAA grounds to hold hunger strike commemorations*

Wildweasel74

Can bring this in, but still can't sort out the gaa rulebook (priorities). They hardly non-political in relation the the North.

NAG1

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 27, 2023, 12:52:08 PM
I agree and disagree on this.. My own club we have cancer research on a training jersey then there's club who support heart foundation, opt for life and then Kevin Bell Trust too. I do know why they're doing it, avoid any political or ideological disagreements down the road but disappointing that health charities couldn't get an exception.

Also they ripped the arse out of GAA jerseys with the Easter rising, proclamations etc Seems a bit contradictory

Pretty sure these were an O'Neills corporate thing and not strictly affiliated to the GAA? was never a fan of them in general.

But yeah I think a sensible decision to curtail it, which doesnt mean that these charities wont be supported in the usual ways by GAA clubs it just will avoid a conflict of interest.

Mourne Red

Quote from: NAG1 on March 27, 2023, 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on March 27, 2023, 12:52:08 PM

Pretty sure these were an O'Neills corporate thing and not strictly affiliated to the GAA? was never a fan of them in general.

But yeah I think a sensible decision to curtail it, which doesnt mean that these charities wont be supported in the usual ways by GAA clubs it just will avoid a conflict of interest.

They were O'Neills cash grab you are right but surely they'd have still needed GAA approval to use the "GAA" logo on the chest.. copyright or whatever laws