NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 26, 2023, 04:45:30 PM
You'd have to feel sorry for Armagh, the Fixtures layout seen Monaghan get a free go at Mayo.
You could also argue that Mayo had lads today trying it play their way in. Also it takes some teams a few games to get started in the league (opposite of Mayo today). E.g. Donegal got a free hit against Kerry and beat them. That they couldn't capitalise on that is their own fault.

From what I've seen this year there is nothing to separate Monaghan, Roscommon and Armagh. Roscommon did their work early and were lucky to get Donegal today. They had just as big an advantage today as Monaghan had.

David McKeown

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 26, 2023, 05:06:41 PM
Just watching the Armagh game there, that's a very bad hit by the Armagh fullback, straight frontal shoulder at head high. Amazed it wasn't red, maybe more on the fact the impact swung Kennedy head bck rather than the shoulder.

Haven't seen it back but looked a good hit in real time. Certainly no one seemed to overly complain amongst the players and in fact players seemed to take up positions thinking a hop had been awarded. It was the third similar hit in the game. One resulted in a booking, one in a hop ball and one in play on. Very inconsistent performance from the ref today.

All that said Tyrone deserved the win. When Armagh finally got ahead they immediately retreated. No killer instinct, poor tactically. Something needs to improve. Alas whilst I've lost faith in Geezer I imagine he will get another few seasons yet. Interesting to note Sligo and Wicklow promoted (I think), both under positive minded Armagh Managers.....
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Captain Obvious

Back to drawing board for Armagh could feel for a few weeks that relegation was coming down the tracks. Monaghan lucky to get Mayo in Castlebar with nothing to play for and Mayo were well entitled to rest 10 first choice players.

Schkite

Quote from: WhoDat on March 26, 2023, 04:04:16 PM
fair play to monaghan for saving themselves yet again, but they're not division 1 standard, let's be serious. armagh have no one to blame but themselves. if they hadn't sacrificed their identity to play awful negative shite, they'd probably have stayed up.

This is a load of shite tbf, Monaghan have been in division 1 for near a decade now, that doesn't happen if you're not "division 1 standard". Every team plays the same games and the truth tells in the end. We've had it both ways where we've played teams with nothing to play for on the last day, or everything to play for - so I'm not accepting that argument either.

CK_Redhand

A proper round robin with home and away fixtures for each opponent could help some of these dead rubber / cold start/finish scenarios.

It could never work at the minute with how the league and championship are split up with deadlines to complete each before club football.

Schkite

Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Schkite on March 26, 2023, 03:51:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 03:33:21 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2023, 03:29:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 26, 2023, 03:19:29 PM
All eyes now to castlebar
Monaghan 2 up and Armagh losing
That makes yet  another Seafold wrong call against Monaghan. You're so hopeless Seafold that you're having your ass whipped by a stopped clock :D
Monaghan will be even worse next year with Dublin and Derry joining the party.

Jaysus Christ, did a Monaghan lass break your heart in your younger days? You always seem to take such a negative slant on Monaghan and write them off before every competition
I think there is something wrong with Monaghan, same as the poster above. The return on talent has been poor. Monaghan were shite against Galway this year even though we were the ones relegated in 2021. We got to an all Ireland final straight outta Division 2 last year. The best Monaghan did in the last 10 years was a semi.

You're not living in the real world pal with these points. The "return on talent" for a county the size of Monaghan has been very good tbh. Obviously I'd like to win everything but realistically that's a monumental task for the likes of us, it makes no sense to compare is to the larger counties when you boil it down to numbers and resources. We're very much a team in transition which has both a handful players nearing the end and a rake of young lads with little experience - comparing them to the present Galway side is nonsense tbh given that context.

Everyone wrote us off at the start of the league (like the past several years), and they'll do so again next spring. Makes no odds to us, the goal was to blood a number of the younger players against the top teams and we achieved that. It's not all about the here and now like you're acting, but it's nice to be there again next year too.

trueblue1234

Quote from: David McKeown on March 26, 2023, 05:28:43 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 26, 2023, 05:06:41 PM
Just watching the Armagh game there, that's a very bad hit by the Armagh fullback, straight frontal shoulder at head high. Amazed it wasn't red, maybe more on the fact the impact swung Kennedy head bck rather than the shoulder.

Haven't seen it back but looked a good hit in real time. Certainly no one seemed to overly complain amongst the players and in fact players seemed to take up positions thinking a hop had been awarded. It was the third similar hit in the game. One resulted in a booking, one in a hop ball and one in play on. Very inconsistent performance from the ref today.

All that said Tyrone deserved the win. When Armagh finally got ahead they immediately retreated. No killer instinct, poor tactically. Something needs to improve. Alas whilst I've lost faith in Geezer I imagine he will get another few seasons yet. Interesting to note Sligo and Wicklow promoted (I think), both under positive minded Armagh Managers.....

Bad hit on review. Looked like he raised the shoulder high but that may have just been the angle. Kennedy just turning into made it look worse I think. Yellow card right call, don't think it justified anything more.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tyroneman

Quote from: yellowcard on March 26, 2023, 04:38:28 PM
It was a decent game in Omagh today, plenty of mistakes by both sides but at least there was little of the backways sideways crap that we had become accustomed to as Armagh fans throughout this years League. Mayo done Monaghan a huge favour by rolling over and getting their tummies tickled and there was little chance that Tyrone would do the same for us. Tyrone played the game like it was an All Ireland final even though they had nothing at stake but Armagh only have ourselves to blame after playing negative turgid stuff for much of the League. It was always going to be difficult today without our best player and then losing Murnin also in in the first half.

No.. no they didn't. They played well in places and poorly in others, but certainly not at championship, let alone all Ireland pace or standard.

Both teams left a lot of scores behind and I'm sure Armagh will feel they could have got a result on a different day where a few wides went over instead.

seafoid

Quote from: Schkite on March 26, 2023, 05:47:04 PM
That makes yet  another Seafold wrong call against Monaghan. You're so hopeless Seafold that you're having your ass whipped by a stopped clock :D

Jaysus Christ, did a Monaghan lass break your heart in your younger days? You always seem to take such a negative slant on Monaghan and write them off before every competition
I think there is something wrong with Monaghan, same as the poster above. The return on talent has been poor. Monaghan were shite against Galway this year even though we were the ones relegated in 2021. We got to an all Ireland final straight outta Division 2 last year. The best Monaghan did in the last 10 years was a semi.

You're not living in the real world pal with these points. The "return on talent" for a county the size of Monaghan has been very good tbh. Obviously I'd like to win everything but realistically that's a monumental task for the likes of us, it makes no sense to compare is to the larger counties when you boil it down to numbers and resources. We're very much a team in transition which has both a handful players nearing the end and a rake of young lads with little experience - comparing them to the present Galway side is nonsense tbh given that context.

Everyone wrote us off at the start of the league (like the past several years), and they'll do so again next spring. Makes no odds to us, the goal was to blood a number of the younger players against the top teams and we achieved that. It's not all about the here and now like you're acting, but it's nice to be there again next year too.
I think size is a cop out , honestly. Losing to a mediocre Tyrone in that semi final was a sign of a psychological  problem.  Offaly is also small and they won 3 all Irelands.
Monaghan have a decent team about once a generation and something has to change if the next team is going to go further than a semi final. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 05:58:01 PM
I think size  is a cop out , honestly.Losing to a mediocre Tyrone in that semi final was a sign of a psychological  problem.  Offaly is also small and they won 3 all Irelands.
Monaghan have a decent team about once a generation and something has to change if the next team is going to go further than a semi final.

Monaghan has the same population as Carlow. Carlow finished 6th in Division 4. Do you think size is a cop out for Carlow also?

An Watcher

Laughing at some of the comments on the match here.  Tyrone players weren't running around fist pumping to the crowd when the ball went over the bar.  Said to a mate that armagh were going to lose the heads and true to form a poor hit on kennedy.  Red card all day long.  Good to see some of the reserves played well for Tyrone today such as gallen, mcnamee and mcgleenan.  Mcnamees looked rusty at the start but played very well as the game progressed

Main Street

I think size is a cop out , honestly. Losing to a mediocre Tyrone in that semi final was a sign of a psychological  problem.  Offaly is also small and they won 3 all Irelands.
Would you ever go away to fck, ;D    you're the one who condescendingly kept spouting on about Monaghan punching above their weight.
You're a sham, Seafold.

Tubberman

Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2023, 11:11:39 PM

Would you ever go away to fck, ;D    you're the one who condescendingly kept spouting on about Monaghan punching above their weight.
You're a sham, Seafold.

He's an absolute gobshite. A sham, however, is a Tuam native, so could actually be true:)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Manning18

Monaghan have been very good for more than a generation now. And size is absolutely a huge factor. No other 'small' county has got anywhere near their level for a long time. I think they're remarkable to be honest. You're talking nonsense

Blowitupref

Quote from: WhoDat on March 26, 2023, 04:04:16 PM
fair play to monaghan for saving themselves yet again, but they're not division 1 standard, let's be serious. armagh have no one to blame but themselves. if they hadn't sacrificed their identity to play awful negative shite, they'd probably have stayed up.

Bizarre view. How many more consecutive years in Division one do Monaghan require to be considered that standard in your view?

Monaghan last year and the year before found ways to beat both Galway,Dublin to avoid the drop and probably wouldn't have matter who they played today as they'd find a way to win as they really come alive in round 7.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose