The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendan

Wouldn't be hard to raise a quarter of a Mill by raffling off a few bottles of Vodka don't you worry

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on July 11, 2023, 09:26:45 PM
some guy on Slugger did the sums on the Craighyhill bonfire

I looked at the Craigiehill from an aerial photo and the outer ring of the lower half of the bonfire is made up of 6 rings of pallets the first ring being 24 pallets the last ring being four and the bonfire diameter reduces as it reaches its enormous height.

The height of the bonfire is 202 feet in old money, which is 61,650mm. A euro pallet is 144mm high so the bonfire has 423 rings of pallets.

So assuming rings of 24, 20, 16, 12, 8 and 4 pallets and following the ring profile reducing as the bonfire gets taller, this equates to approximately 27,000 pallets.

A euro pallet is 24kg, so this equates to a total tonnage of wood of 648 tonnes.

The amount of carbon emitted from burning 1 kilogram (kg) of wood can vary depending on the type of wood and the combustion conditions. However, on average, the carbon content of dry wood is roughly 50% by weight. This means that approximately 0.5 kg (or 500 grams) of carbon is released when 1 kg of wood is burned.

It's important to note that when wood is burned, not all of the carbon is released as carbon dioxide (CO2). Some of the carbon is converted into other compounds, such as carbon monoxide (CO) and particulate matter (soot). The efficiency of the combustion process, including factors like temperature and oxygen supply, also affects the emissions.

To estimate the amount of carbon dioxide specifically emitted from burning 1 kg of wood, we need to consider the stoichiometry of the combustion reaction. When wood burns completely, the reaction can be simplified as follows:

C6H12O6 + 6O2 → 6CO2 + 6H2O

This equation shows that for every 6 moles of oxygen (O2) consumed, 6 moles of carbon dioxide (CO2) are produced. Since the molar mass of carbon is 12 grams per mole and the molar mass of carbon dioxide is 44 grams per mole, we can calculate the amount of CO2 produced from the carbon in 1 kg of wood:

(0.5 kg carbon) × (44 g CO2 / 12 g carbon) = 1.83 kg CO2

The Craigiehill bonfire will emit approximately 1,185 tonnes of CO2 emissions during its short life.

Most of the pallets are painted, and the viewers of the bonfire and the local community can look forward to being exposed to the following pollutants:-

Nitrogen oxides (NOx): Nitrogen present in the air combines with oxygen during combustion to form nitrogen oxides. NOx emissions contribute to the formation of smog

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): Paints often contain VOCs, which are released as gases during combustion. VOCs can contribute to air pollution, smog formation, and have adverse health effects.

Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs): Some paints may contain hazardous substances such as lead, mercury, chromium, or other heavy metals. Burning painted wood can release these HAPs into the air, which pose health risks and environmental concerns.

Particulate Matter (PM): Burning painted wood can generate fine particulate matter, including soot and ash. These particles can contribute to air pollution and have adverse effects on respiratory health.

Toxic Gases: The combustion of painted wood can release toxic gases such as carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxides (NOx). sulphur dioxide (SO2). These gases are harmful to human health and contribute to air pollution.

A standard used Euro pallet costs £8.00 to £10.00 second hand, and all coloured pallets remain property of CHEP and therefore are stolen, so we are watching pallets with a conservative value of £250,000 being burned.

Those toxic gases and that amount of money being burned should not be sniffed at.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AustinPowers

Year after year I await  news of a bonfire going wrong.  And let's face it , regardless of  which direction the wind is blowing , even if its  blowing  towards a petrol station  or a  cigarette factory , the fire will be lit tonight.  It's only a matter of time .

Sammy Wilson  was commending the builders of Larne bonfire earlier ,  saying they should be proud of themselves, and  he was to mention it in  the London parliament  that the Larne lads will have broken a world record  height for a boney. Sweet Jesus

It's going to take a tragedy  for the authorities to cop  themselves on.  It's only a matter of time before someone, or some family, loses their  home, or their lives.  Maybe then they  will clamp down  on this  crap. But I wouldn't hold my breath... which  is what a lot of people  should be doing tonight  judging   by armaghniac's post

Orior

Derry lads CV: Won an All-Ireland minor medal with a team of people. We learnt skills, discipline, tactics, respect and teamwork etc

Larne lads CV: We built a big bonfire.

markl121

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 11, 2023, 10:22:27 PM
Year after year I await  news of a bonfire going wrong.  And let's face it , regardless of  which direction the wind is blowing , even if its  blowing  towards a petrol station  or a  cigarette factory , the fire will be lit tonight.  It's only a matter of time .

Sammy Wilson  was commending the builders of Larne bonfire earlier ,  saying they should be proud of themselves, and  he was to mention it in  the London parliament  that the Larne lads will have broken a world record  height for a boney. Sweet Jesus

It's going to take a tragedy  for the authorities to cop  themselves on.  It's only a matter of time before someone, or some family, loses their  home, or their lives.  Maybe then they  will clamp down  on this  crap. But I wouldn't hold my breath... which  is what a lot of people  should be doing tonight  judging   by armaghniac's post
Sure after your man fell off the bonfire last year they lit it as a tribute as its "what he would have wanted "

Milltown Row2

Quote from: markl121 on July 11, 2023, 10:42:40 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 11, 2023, 10:22:27 PM

Sure after your man fell off the bonfire last year they lit it as a tribute as its "what he would have wanted "

It won't matter a thing...

Was watching stuff the other day, old photos of NI, in all the photos I've seen, flegs, were maybe in one or two photos was there an image of a flag, the more we are accelerating towards a UI the more flegs are produced
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Brendan on July 11, 2023, 09:48:33 PM
Wouldn't be hard to raise a quarter of a Mill by raffling off a few bottles of Vodka don't you worry
Yes the head honcho in Larne power washes gutters for a living and also drives a supercar...

quit yo jibbajabba

"Master bonfire builder" was it not 😉😃

quit yo jibbajabba

If nothing else this thread has shown me that Armaghniac is a clever basturt. Could be absolutely wrong but im fcuked if ill ever find out. See above post

Itchy

I see some lad fell down a right distance of one yesterday after lighting it, I would say he has a fair chance of being at his next bonfire paralysed in a wheelchair

Orior

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 12, 2023, 09:28:00 AM
If nothing else this thread has shown me that Armaghniac is a clever basturt. Could be absolutely wrong but im fcuked if ill ever find out. See above post

Armaghniac never did learn how to do do this....

QuoteAnd I quote

general_lee

Quote from: Itchy on July 12, 2023, 09:42:09 AM
I see some lad fell down a right distance of one yesterday after lighting it, I would say he has a fair chance of being at his next bonfire paralysed in a wheelchair
Natural selection. Time they were banned.

armaghniac

You obviously have not been in Gaaboard long or you would already know this.
However, I cannot take credit for those calculations as someone on Slugger did them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: armaghniac on July 12, 2023, 10:21:45 AM

You obviously have not been in Gaaboard long or you would already know this.
However, I cannot take credit for those calculations as someone on Slugger did them.

I am now conflicted 😃