The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

A hell of a lot of students from a Protestant background go to college across the water. Not sure of the figures though
[/quote]
The 2021 census confirmed that there are significantly more Catholics than Protestants in NI. The detailed in depth  figures have not been released yet, but they will show that only about 33% of 18 year olds are Protestant and that well over 50% of 18 year old are Catholic. In addition Protestant schools tend to have lower educational attainment and therefore a lower percentage of Protestant kids actually go to Uni. Of those that do go to Uni they are significantly more likely to choose Scotland and England in comparison with their Catholic peers. When you add this all together the proportion of Protestant kids entering University in the North is a tiny percentage.  So much so that the 'Protestant' teacher training college in Stranmillis has as many Catholic students as Protestants due to St Mary's  being over subscribed.  This has been going on for years but the disparity is increasing each year.

Milltown Row2

So kids that go to Inst BRA Methody Ballymena Academy Bangor Grammar and the other dozen or more Protestant schools don't go to uni?

Both my daughters went to a non catholic school but went to uni as did any of the kids that finished upper 6th as most passed their A levels. So I'm only using their years and results from that school
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Feckitt

No, I didn't say that. Of course kids from those schools and many others go to Uni. A previous poster estimated that a lecture had a possible 100/20 split in favour of Catholic students and I'm just elaborating on how that is an entirely credible scenario.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Feckitt on March 10, 2023, 11:26:33 PM
No, I didn't say that. Of course kids from those schools and many others go to Uni. A previous poster estimated that a lecture had a possible 100/20 split in favour of Catholic students and I'm just elaborating on how that is an entirely credible scenario.

No, but there is a perception that Protestants are thick  :D

But the reality is slightly different. I went to a secondary school were no one went to college, no one. If they did it was later in life
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2023, 11:19:15 PM
So kids that go to Inst BRA Methody Ballymena Academy Bangor Grammar and the other dozen or more Protestant schools don't go to uni?

Of course they went to uni, the really good ones to Oxford or Cambridge, the rest to Edinburgh or St Andrews.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2023, 11:31:01 PM
No, but there is a perception that Protestants are thick  :D

I'm not sure that there is, not in Ireland generally. However, the Ulster variety are obstinate and unimaginative in many cases.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Sportacus

2/3 of kids from here who go to Uni in GB settle there.  I don't care what background they are from, that's a sad situation. Partly because of a lack of funding for our universities.  The grades for the likes of St Mary's are through the roof. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on March 11, 2023, 09:18:38 AM
2/3 of kids from here who go to Uni in GB settle there.  I don't care what background they are from, that's a sad situation. Partly because of a lack of funding for our universities.  The grades for the likes of St Mary's are through the roof.

It's sad but the reality is they have more career opportunities

thewobbler

Would it be worth considering that a hefty percentage of those who go to uni in England, have already formed a desire to leave NI for good, and studying in England provides a suitable window of opportunities?

LC

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2023, 11:19:15 PM

Both my daughters went to a non catholic school but went to uni as did any of the kids that finished upper 6th as most passed their A levels. So I'm only using their years and results from that school

I worked in a place several years ago, time of the 11 plus, where a lot of my colleagues had kids looking to go to schools such as those highlighted.  They were all paying for private tuition at the time as well to help with the test.  I remember saying to a colleague one day that if their kid failed the 11 plus it was the not the end of the world as they could always go to the local high school.  This was not an option for them as to all intents and purposes if their darling kids ended up going to the local high school they were f@#ked for life as they would end up mixing with the local riff raff.  That is one thing I have always found with Protestants, awful snobbery within. 

Sportacus

Quote from: thewobbler on March 11, 2023, 12:18:01 PM

Would it be worth considering that a hefty percentage of those who go to uni in England, have already formed a desire to leave NI for good, and studying in England provides a suitable window of opportunities?
Yeah that's fair. I don't know what the split is between those who want to leave and those who are forced to leave.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on March 11, 2023, 12:58:38 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 11, 2023, 12:18:01 PM

Yeah that's fair. I don't know what the split is between those who want to leave and those who are forced to leave.

My daughters year only one from her class stayed, they are all partying sorry studying across the water. Not forced either. Eldest daughter stayed went to queens but is a home bird though lives in Belfast, all but one of her friends went across the water also

armaghniac

It is shocking that there is little interest in having enough places in NI universities proportionate to the population. Even in the 2009 recession the Dublin government actually increased the number of places, now they did that by underfunding the institutions, but they had the right idea.
Studies have shown that Protestants who go to Britain, or even Dublin, are less likely to go back than Catholics. In addition, some Catholics who study in Britain come to the 26 counties to work if there is a lack of opportunity in NI.

armaghniac

Jeffrey will have to get off the fence. The latest poll shows DUP voters against the Framework, but non unionists in favour
https://twitter.com/BelTel/status/1634460289620951040

• 67% of people - Yes
    73% of DUP voters - No
    56% UUP voters - Yes
    38% of unionists - Yes
    98% of Alliance/Green voters, 97% of nationalists

weareros

There was an article in Irish News recently detailing the difference between university places in North and the 26. There's a university for every 400,000 citizens in the South, in North it is 1 per million. While the "South" in the 60s - led by Patrick Hillary - were building regional technical colleges (which have now merged to become 5 technological universities), Unionists were blocking education investment East of the Bann. Too bad young Unionist supporters don't see what a terrible legacy they left when running the place.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: weareros on March 11, 2023, 04:23:57 PM
There was an article in Irish News recently detailing the difference between university places in North and the 26. There's a university for every 400,000 citizens in the South, in North it is 1 per million. While the "South" in the 60s - led by Patrick Hillary - were building regional technical colleges (which have now merged to become 5 technological universities), Unionists were blocking education investment East of the Bann. Too bad young Unionist supporters don't see what a terrible legacy they left when running the place.

But if Protestant students from those schools I mentioned had to go to college at home they would, they probably choose to go away as the places is a shambles, and they can afford it too possibly