Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2015, 05:25:10 PM
Quote from: heffo on November 22, 2015, 05:06:23 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2015, 04:52:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on November 22, 2015, 04:10:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2015, 03:16:40 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 22, 2015, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 21, 2015, 04:10:21 PM
Quote from: ck on November 21, 2015, 04:04:36 PM
The anti Dublin bias on here is pathetic.

McGuinness came in and flogged a team for 3 or 4 years and had nothing more to give. Compare that with longer serving managers like Mickey Harte and Jim Gavin who build and re-build and keep returning for more.

Galvin is 3 years with Dublin with a team that was built for him by Gilroy. A bad example!
JIM GAVIN is the dublin manager and his team was alot different to Gilroys.  Changed the style of play introduced Cooper, Andrews, McCaffrey and this year has introduced Fenton.  Each year he has brought in new blood. McGuinnes stuck with same small panel of 16/17 players for his reign and ran them into the ground

JIM GALVIN inherited a team that had won an All Ireland, had a system in place, had sponsors, had an established backroom team.

New sponsor, new backroom and no Mayo-esque foreign bagmen.

Backroom team not as big as the 20+ Mayo backroom team, but they're effective nonetheless.

No doubt Mayo have 20+ backroom team, but I'd bet if you looked at the a/cs for the season. Their cost would be far less than Dublins back room team.

Anyway this is about JMG. He brought non tradition of winning Donegal side from nowhere to winning an AI.

I very much doubt that, but there is no bounds to the depth of your ignorance so I'll leave it go.

Indeed it is, you chose to post about your morbid obsession with Dublin.

Thanks for dragging this down to a slagging match with personal insults.

Galvin naturally will find it harder to get the recognition JMG gets because he inherited a finished product with a conveyor belt of talent coming through along with a lot of money to keep it going. That does not mean he is not a good manager, just it will take him longer to get recognition.

The ongoing inaccurate childish rubbish you post led to that.

Donegal are the best funded team in the country so you're wrong again.

You're coming out of this looking like a pompous asshõle, Heffo.

Agreed.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on November 22, 2015, 06:02:50 PM
Quote from: heffo on November 22, 2015, 05:32:14 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2015, 05:25:10 PM
Quote from: heffo on November 22, 2015, 05:06:23 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2015, 04:52:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on November 22, 2015, 04:10:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2015, 03:16:40 PM

McGuinness came in and flogged a team for 3 or 4 years and had nothing more to give. Compare that with longer serving managers like Mickey Harte and Jim Gavin who build and re-build and keep returning for more.

Galvin is 3 years with Dublin with a team that was built for him by Gilroy. A bad example!
JIM GAVIN is the dublin manager and his team was alot different to Gilroys.  Changed the style of play introduced Cooper, Andrews, McCaffrey and this year has introduced Fenton.  Each year he has brought in new blood. McGuinnes stuck with same small panel of 16/17 players for his reign and ran them into the ground

JIM GALVIN inherited a team that had won an All Ireland, had a system in place, had sponsors, had an established backroom team.

New sponsor, new backroom and no Mayo-esque foreign bagmen.

Backroom team not as big as the 20+ Mayo backroom team, but they're effective nonetheless.

No doubt Mayo have 20+ backroom team, but I'd bet if you looked at the a/cs for the season. Their cost would be far less than Dublins back room team.

Anyway this is about JMG. He brought non tradition of winning Donegal side from nowhere to winning an AI.

I very much doubt that, but there is no bounds to the depth of your ignorance so I'll leave it go.

Indeed it is, you chose to post about your morbid obsession with Dublin.

Thanks for dragging this down to a slagging match with personal insults.

Galvin naturally will find it harder to get the recognition JMG gets because he inherited a finished product with a conveyor belt of talent coming through along with a lot of money to keep it going. That does not mean he is not a good manager, just it will take him longer to get recognition.

The ongoing inaccurate childish rubbish you post led to that.

Donegal are the best funded team in the country so you're wrong again.

You're coming out of this looking like a pompous asshõle, Heffo.

Rich coming from you.

Main Street

Quote from: heffo on November 21, 2015, 06:05:51 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2015, 11:04:46 PM
Jim's Donegal really spanked Dublin that joyful day.

That's fantastic - won nothing.
This thread is about Jim McGuinness and his experience with Donegal GAA, isn't it?
After a bad 2013 , they won Ulster that year and reached the AI final beating Dublin well in the SF.
Not too shabby a year for Jim.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on November 22, 2015, 07:46:28 PM

This thread is about Jim McGuinness and his experience with Donegal GAA, isn't it?
After a bad 2013 , they won Ulster that year and reached the AI final beating Dublin well in the SF.

In Dublin we just tend to look at the number of All irelands. I appreciate it's hard to put that in context to someone from Monaghan

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on November 22, 2015, 08:25:18 PM

In Dublin we just tend to look at the number of All irelands. I appreciate it's hard to put that in context to someone from Monaghan

Ah give him a break - he got his jollies on that 'joyful' day.

screenexile

Quote from: heffo on November 21, 2015, 04:27:12 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 20, 2015, 01:38:48 AM
Quote from: Beffs on November 20, 2015, 01:11:16 AM
Screenexile - Where are you getting these Dublin players job "facts" from?

Brian Fenton isn't a student. He is a physiotherapist in the Mater Hospital. As you can clearly see from his Twitter account, when he got to bring Sam into work one day.

Rory O'Carroll is a social worker, as covered by an article in the Indo, which covered his bringing Sam into a homeless shelter, that he does work in.

Brogan is a fully qualified chartered accountant, who worked for FGS for years, before setting up his own business, a couple of years ago.

MDMA is a teacher and works in a primary school in Rathfarnham.

McMahon counts Shamrock Rovers as one of the clients that he has been hired to do your "lol" fitness coaching for.

If you want to portray them all as a bunch of playboy students with faux "jobs" on the side, you are going to have to try a wee bit harder.

Fenton only graduated a few weeks ago so was a student last season!

O'Carroll fair enough but Wikipedia and the Dubs website both have him as a student.

Brogan is listed as an 'Entrepreneur' on the Dubs site as well.

MDMA is listed as a student teacher but what of it he still has summer off to concentrate on football!!

You can get into semantics if you want but the point still stands that the majority of the Dublin team do not have full time all year round employment. Most definitely Donegal had at least as many of not more lads working full time than the Dubs currently do

Are you just making up stuff?

Where is this high performance centre Dublin have?

https://www.dcu.ie/dcusport/high_performance.shtml

screenexile

Quote from: INDIANA on November 20, 2015, 05:25:07 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 20, 2015, 01:38:48 AM
Quote from: Beffs on November 20, 2015, 01:11:16 AM
Screenexile - Where are you getting these Dublin players job "facts" from?

Brian Fenton isn't a student. He is a physiotherapist in the Mater Hospital. As you can clearly see from his Twitter account, when he got to bring Sam into work one day.

Rory O'Carroll is a social worker, as covered by an article in the Indo, which covered his bringing Sam into a homeless shelter, that he does work in.

Brogan is a fully qualified chartered accountant, who worked for FGS for years, before setting up his own business, a couple of years ago.

MDMA is a teacher and works in a primary school in Rathfarnham.

McMahon counts Shamrock Rovers as one of the clients that he has been hired to do your "lol" fitness coaching for.

If you want to portray them all as a bunch of playboy students with faux "jobs" on the side, you are going to have to try a wee bit harder.

Fenton only graduated a few weeks ago so was a student last season!

O'Carroll fair enough but Wikipedia and the Dubs website both have him as a student.

Brogan is listed as an 'Entrepreneur' on the Dubs site as well.

MDMA is listed as a student teacher but what of it he still has summer off to concentrate on football!!

You can get into semantics if you want but the point still stands that the majority of the Dublin team do not have full time all year round employment. Most definitely Donegal had at least as many of not more lads working full time than the Dubs currently do

You didn't even know Fenton was working . several of the Donegal weren't even students . They had no job , no college course and were ahem " looked after". Now run along

I at least did a bit of research to come up with something concrete... Is the majority of the Dublin squad made up of teachers and students? Yes!

"Several of the Donegal weren't even students" . . . run along now and get us some details rather than dealing in rumour and conjecture!

Beffs

None of the following Dublin players are full time students now, or were full time students at any time this year:

Rory O'Carroll, Cian O'Sullivan, Dennis Basick, Paddy Andrews, Bernard Brogan, Philly McMahon, Kevin Mc, Alan Brogan, Paul Flynn, Diarmuid Connolly, Johnny Cooper. That is eleven players from this years All Ireland final.

But the majority of the Dublin players are teachers or students?

Ok then.... ::)

There are several panel members who are aged between 20 & 23 that are *shockingly* still in college. Naturally, that some sort of weird anomaly that doesn't happen in any other county !

Main Street

Who's we? are you permanently deluded? Speak for yourself Indiana, it may be hard for you to credit  but the drone like monotonous mantra of 'donegal won nothing in 2014' ' won nothing' in the context of reviewing McGuinness' input as county manager for that period, has a unique Squealer (the pig) standard of persuasion about it.
The debate level of a couple of old deranged, no-nothing inebriated wasters with wart riddled noses, incapable of further words on the matter.
I might be mistake though.

JoG2

the spirit of the GAA is alive and well and not living in Dublin !

blewuporstuffed

so your criticism of McGuiness is that he had a limited panel of players to work from and got the most out of them, but Gavin is a better manager because he has a huge population and conveyor belt of talent to work with?  :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

J70

Yet we will always remember and the broader GAA will always remember that day. Sure youse will remember it yourself as the launchpad for this year with the changes to the Dublin gameplan.

Regardless, that we fucked up the final step does not in any way detract from that performance. Up there with Dublin '92 and Cork '12 as our best ever. It was, as you say, fantastic!

J70

Don't be ridiculous. First, Harte is a freak of nature in terms of longevity in intercounty management, especially in the past decade (and if this board is an accurate gauge, plenty in Tyrone wanted him replaced in recent years) . Second, Gavin is only there since the 2013 season and took on the GAA equivalent of Real Madrid or Bayern Munich i.e. an already successful and talented squad with more on the way.
And Donegal are not the only team to up the fitness regime. I don't recall them running Mayo, Monaghan, Tyrone, Dublin or Kerry into the ground in any of their games, even going back to 2012.

imtommygunn

I always thought they ran Kerry into the ground in 2012 J70. The rest not though so I would agree there.

I think Jimmy has got a bit carried away with himself and I thought it interesting how he compared himself to Alex Ferguson. I think in his head that is the kind of figure he is. I don't think Kevin Cassidy did much and it was part of a much greater plan for togetherness etc etc and to be fair it worked.

Not sure where all the Dublin stuff came from. It's not a fair comparison. All the above said he still made some turnaround in Donegal's fortunes. That same batch of players had many failures behind them and he really turned them round.

I don't think Donegal would have even been close to winning an AI without him. Dublin would still have won multiple with or without Gavin. Completely different challenge so very hard to compare them.

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 23, 2015, 03:30:16 PM
I always thought they ran Kerry into the ground in 2012 J70. The rest not though so I would agree there.

I think Jimmy has got a bit carried away with himself and I thought it interesting how he compared himself to Alex Ferguson. I think in his head that is the kind of figure he is. I don't think Kevin Cassidy did much and it was part of a much greater plan for togetherness etc etc and to be fair it worked.

Not sure where all the Dublin stuff came from. It's not a fair comparison. All the above said he still made some turnaround in Donegal's fortunes. That same batch of players had many failures behind them and he really turned them round.

I don't think Donegal would have even been close to winning an AI without him. Dublin would still have won multiple with or without Gavin. Completely different challenge so very hard to compare them.

Would Gavin win an AI with Donegal 2011-2014? Would Mickey Harte? Would McGuinness have made that slight difference to get Mayo across the line?

Who knows?