Honeymoon

Started by redboots, February 21, 2008, 05:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Donagh, when in Cusco make sure you both head to "The Fallen Angel" restaurant.
Fantastic place with incredible art. Plus, the best steak in town.
Mama Africas in the square is a mad bar that is filled every night!
No worries about booking the trek while there.
The altitude will be tough to start with, but you will survive......
Have a blast
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Puckoon

Quote from: hardstation on February 21, 2008, 11:43:25 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 21, 2008, 11:37:32 PM
Im actually a bit worried lads...I met my girlfriend on the 29th Feb 2004 so it will be four years on the 29th of Feb this year...
Hope to feck she isn't gonna get any ideas  :-\
I can see Puckoon coming on here to tell a story about my St. Valentine's day.
That was scary. :-[

Lets just say he was glad he had the receipt.

Puckoon

Well now. Its how you tell it I guess. Maybe had you been more sincere the receipt wouldnt have been necessary...

Anyways, I though argos didnt do returns?

stevo-08

Quote from: Donagh on February 21, 2008, 11:22:57 PM
It's a honeymoon Steve and I already have the Miraflores Park Hotel booked for 3 nights - Junior Suite with ocean view, sauna, massages etc in the room (my surprise wedding pressie to her) ;) Haven't booked Machu Pichu yet as the guidebooks recommended waiting until we got there but I'm kind of wanting to get as many of the costs paid up front as I can. We're going for three and a half weeks and were originally heading for Arica from La Paz via Lauca Park but I've since learned there's an airport in Arequipa as well, so didn't know whether to aim for there instead of Arica for the end of the journey. Will check out that Cusco hotel though the woman spotted 'Ninos' as well that sounds good (profits go to an associated orphanage).

Good stuff Donagh, you wont be disappointed with the miraflores, probably the finest hotel i've ever stayed in. make sure you book the $40 Honeymoon package when you get there. a nice treat!! I was fairly sure you had to book machu pichu in advance, but it depends on whether you do the 4 day or 2 day trip. they only allow 500 people per day on the 4 day trip (that includes approx 280 porters/guides) so, particularly in the busy season it gets booked up very quickly. if you are staying in arequipa, you just have to go to Zig Zag restaurant and try the "Trilogy" - superb...

Onion Bag

Quote from: Hereiam on February 21, 2008, 08:22:29 PM
Me and the Mrs went to Las Vegas for 4 nights, San Fran for 3 nights and Hawaii for 7 was a trip well worth every penny.

Sounds like the ticket!
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Sky Blue

I had my honeymoon in Tramore, Co Waterford many years ago. The highlight of the weekend was a trip to see Johnny McEvoy in a local hotel.

stpauls

heading to Oz in October for my own honeymoon! would be going sooner as i am getting wed in July, but a friend of mine is getting married as well in Brisbane in October so thought we would go then. planning to fly to Sydney, take a week or so to come up the coast to Brisbane for the stag night. then another week touring further up the coast to come back down for the wedding a week later, and haven't decided what to do after that. thinking about going to Fiji, on our way to LA, then home via New York to see her brother! looking forward to it already!

Onion Bag

Quote from: stpauls on February 22, 2008, 09:12:02 AM
heading to Oz in October for my own honeymoon! would be going sooner as i am getting wed in July, but a friend of mine is getting married as well in Brisbane in October so thought we would go then. planning to fly to Sydney, take a week or so to come up the coast to Brisbane for the stag night. then another week touring further up the coast to come back down for the wedding a week later, and haven't decided what to do after that. thinking about going to Fiji, on our way to LA, then home via New York to see her brother! looking forward to it already!

Holy jasus st pauls, how long are you heading for?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

stpauls

hopefully about 3-4 weeks! depends how much i can afford!

AZOffaly

Quote from: gawa316 on February 21, 2008, 11:26:31 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 21, 2008, 11:24:36 PM
When's the big day guys?

22nd March for me

Same anniversary as myself and the better half. We got poxed lucky with the weather that year, it was beautiful down in Killarney.

Re your honeymoon, Hawai'i is the business. When I lived stateside I went to Oahu for 6 days with friends. It is beautiful.

Make sure you do a couple of things.

1) Drink a cocktail on Waikiki Beach at sunset, facing Diamondhead. It is possibly as close to heaven as you can get on this world.
2) Go snorkelling in Hanauma Bay, it's a natural cove protected by reef, so only the small, colourful fish get in there, and a few small 'cudas. But it is gorgeous as well.
3) Go to the North Shore, if you can rent a car, and visit some of the beaches up there.  Be careful about swimming, because the north shore is notorious for rip tides, but there are a couple you can swim in. Beware the sudden breaking waves though, they can knock you on your arse!! :D
4) Visit Pearl Harbour. Count the Japs there :D Ah no, seriously, Pearl Harbour is a lovely spot, and it is very eerie, but not spooky. You can take a walk around the 'Bowfish' which is a WWII submarine. (How they stayed on it, I'll never know), and of course, take the launch out to the memorial for the USS Arizona. It is a humbling experience, no matter what your thoughts on America and their foreign policy.
5) Deep Sea Fishing. If you are only there for a couple of days, you mightn't want to do this, and it's not exactly romantic watching your skipper gutting a Mahi Mahi :D It is a great day though, and the excitement when you hook onto a big one is hard to beat. I landed two Mahi Mahi on our trip, but a friend of mine battle a Marlin for 40 minutes before the first mate f*cked up with the gaffe, and freed the fish right at the side of the boat. The friend was sick, because he was so tired, but I was secretly happy as the Marlin was a lovely looking fish, and I wasn't looking forward to seeing it getting the works.

Don't go to the Polynesian experience up in the North Shore, it's a waste of money in my opinion, unless it has changed dramatically. It's not too bad to walk around actually, but we paid for the 'cookout' as well, and that was rubbish. It's not what it says on the tin. Actually, if you can get cheaper tickets and are up in the NS for a while it might be no harm, but I certainly wouldn't be going up specially.

Some pictures of what I'm talking about....

1) Waikiki Beach at sunset,

2) Hanauma Bay

3) Waimea Bay, North Shore

4) Pearl Harbour Arizona Memorial

5) A Mahi-mahi

nifan

Ive south africa sorted for mine - looks class

my other preference was argentina - i hear Buenos Aires is class

Puckoon

Ill second what AZ says about Waikikki beach. We had a great time there although be careful.

1. I says to the life guard - what about the sharks, should I be worried doin a bit of swimming. No says he, you see where all those surfers are out there (about 200yds out). I do says I. He says, thats where all the sharks are.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

2. We stumbled across a luau dance party on the beach where the locals were re inacting "the procreation dance". Apparently they used to perform this dance outside the bed chambers of the newly wed King and queen to ensure the arrival of healthy offspring.

4 weeks later im in a meeting and get a picture message of two positive pregnancy tests side by side on the desk.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

gawa316

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 22, 2008, 04:07:52 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on February 21, 2008, 11:26:31 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 21, 2008, 11:24:36 PM
When's the big day guys?

22nd March for me

Same anniversary as myself and the better half. We got poxed lucky with the weather that year, it was beautiful down in Killarney.

Re your honeymoon, Hawai'i is the business. When I lived stateside I went to Oahu for 6 days with friends. It is beautiful.

Make sure you do a couple of things.

1) Drink a cocktail on Waikiki Beach at sunset, facing Diamondhead. It is possibly as close to heaven as you can get on this world.
2) Go snorkelling in Hanauma Bay, it's a natural cove protected by reef, so only the small, colourful fish get in there, and a few small 'cudas. But it is gorgeous as well.
3) Go to the North Shore, if you can rent a car, and visit some of the beaches up there.  Be careful about swimming, because the north shore is notorious for rip tides, but there are a couple you can swim in. Beware the sudden breaking waves though, they can knock you on your arse!! :D
4) Visit Pearl Harbour. Count the Japs there :D Ah no, seriously, Pearl Harbour is a lovely spot, and it is very eerie, but not spooky. You can take a walk around the 'Bowfish' which is a WWII submarine. (How they stayed on it, I'll never know), and of course, take the launch out to the memorial for the USS Arizona. It is a humbling experience, no matter what your thoughts on America and their foreign policy.
5) Deep Sea Fishing. If you are only there for a couple of days, you mightn't want to do this, and it's not exactly romantic watching your skipper gutting a Mahi Mahi :D It is a great day though, and the excitement when you hook onto a big one is hard to beat. I landed two Mahi Mahi on our trip, but a friend of mine battle a Marlin for 40 minutes before the first mate f*cked up with the gaffe, and freed the fish right at the side of the boat. The friend was sick, because he was so tired, but I was secretly happy as the Marlin was a lovely looking fish, and I wasn't looking forward to seeing it getting the works.

Don't go to the Polynesian experience up in the North Shore, it's a waste of money in my opinion, unless it has changed dramatically. It's not too bad to walk around actually, but we paid for the 'cookout' as well, and that was rubbish. It's not what it says on the tin. Actually, if you can get cheaper tickets and are up in the NS for a while it might be no harm, but I certainly wouldn't be going up specially.

Some pictures of what I'm talking about....

1) Waikiki Beach at sunset,

2) Hanauma Bay

3) Waimea Bay, North Shore

4) Pearl Harbour Arizona Memorial

5) A Mahi-mahi

Cheers for the info. AZ. Our hotel is actually on Waikiki so happy days. Our room is facing Diamond Head(saved a few bucks instead of ocean). Diamond head is a volcano/creator right?

We have a car already booked so will be makin good use of it. I'm mad to see Pipeline just to say I have plus all the Pearl Habour stuff, it facinates me.

AZOffaly

Yeah, Diamondhead is the volcano that juts out at the end of Waikiki Beach. It dominates the skyline down that end of the beach.

I'm jealous, I'd love to go back to Hawai'i.

blast05

QuoteYeah, Diamondhead is the volcano that juts out at the end of Waikiki Beach. It dominates the skyline down that end of the beach.

I'll give you that Diamond Head is impressive but it doesn't ahve that much of a wow factor.

Other things to consider:
Drive around the north island (not sure if thats the name). Its the bigger island - not the one with Honolulu. This is simply an amazing drive - much more spectacular than dirving around the Honolulu island (name?)
Also, on the north island (name?), i would seriously recommend taking the trip up the large 10,000 ft volcano. Its a biking trip where you get the bus up and free wheel down (22 miles). Of course you could be an idjiot like me and rent a racing bike and cycle up as well (28 miles up hill from sea level)

One other thing, i thought the hotels on Waikiki were a bit disappointing  .... albeit that we were after coming from a 4 day stay in a suite over looking the lake in the Belaggio in Las Vegas.