All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Time for a new thread so, as we enter the All-Ireland qualifiers series after the loss to Dublin in the Leinster Championship.

We face Armagh in Portlaoise on the 18/19 June - a massive game for both teams.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Was just going to do that Tony, you beat me to it..    ;D

It's a great draw which should keep the lads focused, definitely the draw of the round. If we can do all the good things we did against Dublin and learn from the mistakes like tuning in straight from the start we could win this one.

Worse thing is that Joe Brolly's remarks will have Armagh baying for blood so I expect a tough game but home advantage will stand to us. Hopefully that brave performance against Dublin will bring out a bit of support for the lads as we are going to need every advantage we can get.

Joe Brolly: 'Spineless' Armagh board know what I said is true
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-spineless-armagh-board-know-what-i-said-is-true-34774137.html

Revealed! Draw made for Round 1 of the All-Ireland football qualifiers
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/revealed-draw-made-for-round-1-of-the-allireland-football-qualifiers-34778338.html

Air of unreality finds Laois between Rock ... and a hard place
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-air-of-unreality-finds-laois-between-rock-and-a-hard-place-34774868.html

We also need more of this kind of controlled aggression.. JOL please note:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/watch-bernard-brogan-gets-pulverised-with-a-shoulder-by-laois-kevin-meaney-34775585.html
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Heshs Umpire

Thank God we got a tough draw. For me, the nightmare scenario would have been getting one of the weakest teams. Time for our lads to stand up and be counted now against an Armagh team that will be looking for a decent qualifier run and also to reverse the league result from earlier in the year.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

south Laois

Anyone hear that we might be loosing a couple of players to America? I hope it is just a rumour and not true.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Tony on June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM
Time for a new thread so

We could have started this thread when the draw was made last year......

I too applaud the bravery of our players on Saturday but am not at all surprised.

The problem was the ridiculous levels of disorganization. Again it was a case of working it out as they went along. When to shoot, when and where to run, when to pass, who to pass to, when to track back, how to tackle were all made up during the game. We got our blanket defence going in the second half (although still gave WAY too much space) once Dublin were out of sight. Anyone, including Mick Lillis, that thinks the second half is a good reflection of where we really are and that 'only for the 2 early goals there was nothing between the sides' is completely delusional. Did anyone notice how easily Dublin tagged on a few points once we closed the gap? I still think that we are a complete shambles but I don't blame the players one bit. Not one of them gave less than 100%.

ILikeStrawberryJam

I thought it was an excellent performance in the 2nd half from Laois.
I dont think Dublin took their foot of the gas that much.
Facing into a 11 point deficit without our main man at the start of the 2nd half
with 16k dubs influencing the ref, i thought 20 point min defeat
But they fought like dogs and counter attacked quite well.
TBH i think if Kerry had given 2 goals up in the 1st 5 mins and had David Moran
sent off they would have been beaten by 11 too ..

Lillis knows hes out of his depth and the setup hasnt been up to the levels it should have been
this year but there are good footballers there. Would like to see what cunningham can do with
that team next year if he stays ..

We are well capable of beating Armagh, thats for sure.. we'll lose a few to America no doubt .. this
is happening to all but the top teams these days ..

Throw in 3.30 on Saturday 18th OMP .. another gem by croke park cronies ..
Everyone will still be watching the Ireland match .. there will be no one there
And its on RTE ..

redsetanta

Will be changed to an evening throw in if they have any sense at all.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tony

Absolutely shambolic if that's not changed (and it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't). Have they any concept of reality or common sense up there at all.

Faugheen

I doubt it, it is being shown on RTE so id say that they are calling the tune  >:(

Uisce

Absolute madness to have that game clashing with the Belgium game, you would presume that they surely realised the clash and proceeded anyway so it won't be changed now. Hard to know who is to blame on this one!

Re players going to America, heard the same thing so reckon we will be down at least one starter from the last day!

Tony

Why is it always the smaller counties like laois, carlow etc that have to put up with a scheduling headache like that? Do you think kerry, Dublin or cork would be scheduled at the same time as Ireland in the euros? Of course not. Even if they put it back to 4.15or 4.30 that'd be fine. If it's an Rte issue, just put a re run of murder she wrote or barney the dinosaur at 3.30.  Surely they have a bit of cop on. Unless Ireland are losing 10-0, nobody is going to watch laois armagh and the laois supporters who also follow Ireland in soccer will have to compromise unnecessarily. Annoyed but not surprised.

south Laois

Today's Irish star give the reason why it can't be played at 4 or 4-30. If this is true this tops the whole thing off. Laois v Armagh is to be shown on RTE1 and if the game went to extra time RTE1 would not be able to show the angelous!!!!!!!!

redsetanta

Sorry, which paper did you read that in?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Joeythelips

Ha ha ffs, I thought this aspect of the GAA had died away (not bending a knee to foreign sports).  They have no clue sometimes. Imagine your a shop owner or publican (or anyone who makes a few bob on match days)  in Portlaoise who make a nice few bob any day their is a decent crowd heading to O'Moore Park. You hear the first round game against the Dubs is being moved out of Croke Park, happy days you think only to find out the powers that be have moved it to Nowlan Park in Kilkenny. What the f*ck you think, but you say to yourself well the Gaa is a business so they have to maximise their profits but will surely repay us down the line for this shafting.
Then you hear the draw for the first round qualifiers, at home v Armagh. Not exactly a headline grabbing game but should bring out the guts of 15 to 20 thousand people flocking through the town...oh wait more like one thousand if your lucky, as their is a huge sporting event taking place in France which clashes with it, as the GAA don't really care about your business or spreading the wealth. They only care about their pockets and the bloody Angleus (please tell me that aint true, its like a sketch off the savage eye). You actually could not write that

south Laois

It's in today's Irish Daily Star about the angelous. I can't believe it's true but that's what they're reporting. Surely they'll see sense and o something about it. If it stays as it is they'll be down thousands on the gate.