Leinster Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 11, 2018, 10:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Give me the league any day. Playing teams of similar ability is the only way sport should be played. No problem having a one off FA Cup type competition, but to make the All Ireland series the epicentre of the GAA calendar is an absolute joke. Unless things change, the exodus to the US will get bigger each year. The Championship is a waste of time

Tony

I agree with you, HF, that makes a lot of sense. I don't see it happening though, for at least another 5- 10 years. Lots of traditionalists out there. However, we do see the excitment that massive change can bring. For example the qualifier system was a huge change from the old system, and has been a success, even though there was a lot of apprehension about it prior to it happening. But clearly a system like the league set up, in championship is the best way forward. At least 7 games for every team, and competitive matches. Ireland is a relatively small country so getting around to games isn't a big issue. The league format for championship in, let's say, Australia, would be a massive issue. The provincial system doesn't make much sense. Having said that, I would kill for laois to win Leinster this year  ;D. There certainly is and has been a magical feeling for any county to win their provincial title. Year on year though, it's ridiculous to see a provence like Connaught contrasted with Ulster or Leinster. The opposite of fairness, really.

The Boy Wonder

I'd love to see the GAA start with a clean slate rather than tinkering with existing competition structures.  My tuppence worth would be :

1)   Provincial Championships played off at start of year in place of O'Byrne Cup, Connacht FBD etc.
        These would be standalone competitions confined to each province

2)   The NFL transformed into Championship(s) with promotion, relegation (and maybe promotion play-offs)
        Division 1 (12 teams)
        Division 2 (10 teams)
        Division 3 (10 teams)

3)   Open-draw knockout Sam Maguire Cup competition (32 teams)
        Played alongside NFL in same manner as soccer leagues and FA Cup across the water

Re. 2019 Leinster Championship – I don't think any Laois supporter would prefer the backdoor over reaching Leinster Final. But you would not approach a Leinster Final versus the Dubs with anything near the same level of optimism as if you were facing Kildare. But we're getting way too far ahead of ourselves even talking about Leinster finals at this stage.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Sir Alex7

Stage 1...all ireland qualifiers.. 8 groups of 4...groups a-d division 1 and 2 teams top 2 qualify.groups e-h division 3 and 4 only top team qualifies
Stage 2=provinical champs.. Winners qualify to quarter finals
Stage 3=all lreland series made up of de qualifiers from stage 1 and 2

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Qualifier Draws 2019

Unlaoised

Did Laois Play cork in a friendly over the weekend?

I'm hearing it was a high scoring encounter with Laois loosing by 4 ??
LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 08, 2019, 04:39:12 PM
Did Laois Play cork in a friendly over the weekend?

I'm hearing it was a high scoring encounter with Laois loosing by 4 ??
I read online somewhere that they were involved in a high scoring encounter and Laois lost by 4.

portlaoisekid

Heard it was a little closer than that but in any case it was a good run out but neither team at full strength.Typical challenge match.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Cork beat them by 2 points but Cork only beat Carlow by 1 point earlier on. Then Cork go and beat the Dubs by 6 points last night... 

GAA-SMART

Right so are we all on Cork at 250-1 then ?  ;D

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: GAA-SMART on May 09, 2019, 12:51:14 PM
Right so are we all on Cork at 250-1 then ?  ;D
Well, if they can beat Carlow then they're surely worth a few bob...   :'(

Tony

Cork are a strange team. They're relegated to Div 3, but could easily be a Div 1 team, on their day. They have the players to be a good side, they just really need to get it together. Consistency is their downfall, really; that and suspect managers and tactics / game plans. Sleeping giant at them moment.

Unlaoised

interesting that Offaly ran Meath so close and that Wicklow gave the Lillys a scare over the weekend.

Louth v Dublin is in portlaoise now!
LAOIS ABÚ

GAA-SMART

25-05-2019 (Sat)
Leinster MHC – Preliminary Quarter Finals

Leinster SFC Quarter Final
O'Moore Park   17:00   Meath         V      Carlow
O'Moore Park   19:00   Dublin         V      Louth

Talent Academy Football Day
U14 in Ferns CoE – Laois "A" & "B"  v Louth & Wexford "A" & "B"
U15 in LOETB CoE – Laois "A" & "B"  v Offaly "A" & "B"

Busy day in OMP next Saturday !