James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Probably be worse if he went on like GAA lads do during Amhrán nabhFiann... Last Saturday in Thurles most did stretches, one lad cleared his nose and another picked his shorts out of his hole.

That would wind them up.
/Jim.

gallsman

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 19, 2015, 08:22:22 PM
Probably be worse if he went on like GAA lads do during Amhrán nabhFiann... Last Saturday in Thurles most did stretches, one lad cleared his nose and another picked his shorts out of his hole.

That would wind them up.
/Jim.

That's a very good point - outside ulster, the anthem hasn't been respected at matches for years. Players breaking off, "Come on Cork/Tipp/the Cats/the Dubs", chants echoing out with two full lines of the song to go. Highly embarrassing

andoireabu

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2015, 03:53:41 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 19, 2015, 03:40:40 PM
I'm laughing at the fcukwits that are making an issue out of this!

I'm sure the non chav English wouldn't actually care he wasn't facing their flag or singing their anthem!

Its a non story I've already agreed on that I think he's a bit silly and drawing attention to himself for no reason... I say move on and show that you're  actually an adult.. Best to take the high road sometimes and not come across like a fleg protester 😉

Did he have a family member killed in Bloody Sunday?

balladmaker

QuoteAm I missing something here? He was standing for the anthem. When the irish anthem is played I turn to face the flag. I wouldn't turn to face another flag I would stand facing forward out of respect. The fact his head is down is a non issue too. Anyone that feels he is out of order, catch yourself on. Show a bit of support for your countryman as there are enough people about to knock him.

+1

Windmill abu

Quote from: balladmaker on July 20, 2015, 12:18:36 AM
QuoteAm I missing something here? He was standing for the anthem. When the irish anthem is played I turn to face the flag. I wouldn't turn to face another flag I would stand facing forward out of respect. The fact his head is down is a non issue too. Anyone that feels he is out of order, catch yourself on. Show a bit of support for your countryman as there are enough people about to knock him.

+1

He stood for a National Anthem which he probably did not think he would have to to do when he signed for W.B.A.
If allegiance to the British Queen was a prerequisite to playing football in either the Premiership or the Championship, then a lot less players and a lot more equality/employment lawyers may have become rich on the Sky money financing British football.

BTW If he had turned around and acknowledged GSTQ, would he now be accused of respecting a Holocaust supporter?(allegedly), or would it be swept underthe carpet like Lizzie's Nazi salutes.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

OakleafCounty

Quote from: gallsman on July 19, 2015, 08:43:05 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 19, 2015, 08:22:22 PM

That would wind them up.
/Jim.

That's a very good point - outside ulster, the anthem hasn't been respected at matches for years. Players breaking off, "Come on Cork/Tipp/the Cats/the Dubs", chants echoing out with two full lines of the song to go. Highly embarrassing

That happens in Ulster too.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 19, 2015, 05:31:09 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 19, 2015, 04:36:58 PM
... and the point being that you are extolling bad behaviour as virtuous.

If it was Davy Tweed turning his back on his teammates during the Irish anthem, would you find yourself having respect for him for following his beliefs?

Completely different scenario. It is not the anthem of the team he is playing for.

You're a very sensible poster wobbler but you're miles off with this. Mcclean has done nothing wrong and took a very moderate and respectful avenue of non engagement if.you ask me.

+1

annapr

Quote from: screenexile on July 19, 2015, 05:46:20 PM
Did he turn away when Ireland played England recently?

I don't understand what his problem is stand up and respect the anthem like everyone else. I understand the Poppy thing but this smacks of attention seeking. Its standard practice in sport to stand respectfully for your opponent nations anthem even if they are a crowd of c***ts!!!

He's let himself down here!
Agree fully with this,as I'm sure anyone with an ounce of sense would also.

deiseach

I don't understand what his problem is stand up and respect the anthem like everyone else. I understand the Poppy thing but this smacks of attention seeking. Its standard practice in sport to stand respectfully for your opponent nations anthem even if they are a crowd of c***ts!!!

He didn't start the game so the question never arose. It's a pertinent question though. He started against Scotland when we played them in Parkhead. Did he do the same there? Is it any anthem of the UK he objects to, or just ditties about the Queen? I can see him getting tied in knots trying to establish what the principle is here.

general_lee

Quote from: deiseach on July 20, 2015, 09:49:38 AM

He didn't start the game so the question never arose. It's a pertinent question though. He started against Scotland when we played them in Parkhead. Did he do the same there? Is it any anthem of the UK he objects to, or just ditties about the Queen? I can see him getting tied in knots trying to establish what the principle is here.
Is this not a moot point? When GSTQ is playing he'll not be facing the flag anyway.

JoG2

Quote from: andoireabu on July 19, 2015, 09:43:29 PM
http://www.balls.ie/football/video-did-james-mcclean-really-turn-his-back-on-the-british-national-anthem/301693

A pic paints a 1000 words...doesn't mean they are the right ones.

Don't go getting in the way of the hate item of the moment.  The internet will crash

deiseach

Quote from: general_lee on July 20, 2015, 12:49:04 PM
Quote from: deiseach on July 20, 2015, 09:49:38 AM

Is this not a moot point? When GSTQ is playing he'll not be facing the flag anyway.

Probably, but I think it's useful to establish what he is trying to accomplish - assuming there really was a 'snub'.

Main Street

I think there is a difference between this, a very legitimate action,
a ni u 21 player looking at his boots while GSTQ is being played

and what McClean makes an issue of  while playing for an English club. He could do something similar to what Gnevin once called 'doing a DeV',  look at the flag and think of Brighton.

eddie d

Quote from: An Watcher on July 19, 2015, 08:02:28 PM
Am I missing something here? He was standing for the anthem. When the irish anthem is played I turn to face the flag. I wouldn't turn to face another flag I would stand facing forward out of respect. The fact his head is down is a non issue too. Anyone that feels he is out of order, catch yourself on. Show a bit of support for your countryman as there are enough people about to knock him.

He turned towards the flag like the rest of the team, then he turned back and put his head down, which would clearly draw attention to him. He could have stood facing it with his head down. If he had, I don't think he would have disrespected any of the victims from the troubles. Likewise he would have kept his own fans happy, and the trolls quiet.