Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megaman

just to point out lads, this rough treatment handed out to St Galls did not happen, maybe a few players digging at each other at stages, thats it. (it is championship after all)

There where only 3 or 4 dirty strokes in the game and they didnt come from Dall players.

The McGourtys obviously didnt stop gurning at the final whistle, they continued into the club as well.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on September 03, 2012, 02:01:16 PM
Maybe if they had done ten sessions they might have won HS?

Point being that when they don't put the effort in and now they are looking for excuses, that they got roughly treated by Cushendall, there wont be any quarter asked or given next week in the football, but then again they have something to lose in that match!

Read my posts NAG1, I said Cushendall were by far the better team and their scores came a lot easier than ours. That's down to training and application.

The roughing up wouldn't have made us play crap, we just don't put the effort in, very simple

Ones have mentioned we pulled dirty strokes, I said we did and wouldn't defend them, but when one of our players had to come off with a split nose we are are dirty players?? What was Neil booked for?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

I would love our lads to take it seriously for two seasons, and when I mean serious I mean that they have a decent pre-season nothing crazy just a few decent sessions over Feb - March some friendlies and hit the season with most of your players available for all the games, One training session a week (well attended) and 6 weeks prior to Championship, sessions intensify. If we managed even that I'd say we'd be very competitive.

With the lads being older I'd say we've 2/3 seasons left, If they want to achieve something then that's what it will take.

That's not a wile lot FFS.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

It was Kevin Mc Gourty who had the blood on his hooter, he wasn't going to come off but the ref spotted the blood, he was blood subbed, got the hooter cleaned up and went back on again, hardly a bad injury. Kevin & CJ are far more talented than Ciaran but neither of them would have even near the same guts, heart and character as Ciaran. Someone was asking how much Mc Manus scored from play, 1-2 out of 1-5 from play.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 03, 2012, 03:02:31 PM
It was Kevin Mc Gourty who had the blood on his hooter, he wasn't going to come off but the ref spotted the blood, he was blood subbed, got the hooter cleaned up and went back on again, hardly a bad injury. Kevin & CJ are far more talented than Ciaran but neither of them would have even near the same guts, heart and character as Ciaran. Someone was asking how much Mc Manus scored from play, 1-2 out of 1-5 from play.

I asked what he'd scored, didn't take note during game.

Loughgiel are 4/5 for the Antrim Championship on Paddy Power

btdtgtt

Quote from: winker3716 on September 03, 2012, 01:24:37 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 03, 2012, 01:05:03 PM
No one any the wiser after the weekends games, still going to be all on the day between Cushendall and Dunloy. LG win the other semi final handy enough so it's as you were really.

MR2 I think maybe there is a perceived lack of respect to the hurling championship by your boys from other clubs, might explain some of the rougher treatment handed out.
To even suggest there is a "perceived lack of respect to the hurling championship! by a dual Belfast club, is really a bit rich coming from clubs whose primary focus is on hurling.  i.e Loughgeil, Dunloy, Ballycastle, Cushedall etc.

It may be difficult for you to appreciate and comprehend how a dual club like St.Galls encounters difficulties of a severe magnitude by participating in both codes.  Football is clearly their main focus and where they are mostly likely to achieve success.  However, they are facing up to their responsibilities of promoting and participating in both codes.  Does this give any individual or opposing club to criticise any club or use it as an excuse for" dishing out rough treatment" as you put it?  Catch yourself on man!   :o

In support of your comments though, I would think their would be a sizable queue forming in St. Galls to get a lash at two of the McGourtys anytime.  ;)

Spot on!

ManInBlackandGreen

Thank Fck your leaving the Referee's alone for a change boys, what i hear all 4 matches where below what was expected, in fairness it was effectively the 1st round, things take time, dunloy imo will improve the most from their encounter.

winker3716

Quote from: Megaman on September 03, 2012, 02:31:58 PM
just to point out lads, this rough treatment handed out to St Galls did not happen, maybe a few players digging at each other at stages, thats it. (it is championship after all)

There where only 3 or 4 dirty strokes in the game and they didnt come from Dall players.

The McGourtys obviously didnt stop gurning at the final whistle, they continued into the club as well.
Nothing new there man! The Ciaran lad is the only hurler among them.  Seems like a trait they picked up from their father, another major gurner and still is by all accounts?
My Philosophy on self preservation - "pull on him before he pulls on you, and pull early"

winker3716

Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on September 03, 2012, 03:21:01 PM
Thank Fck your leaving the Referee's alone for a change boys, what i hear all 4 matches where below what was expected, in fairness it was effectively the 1st round, things take time, dunloy imo will improve the most from their encounter.
that said MIBAG, the refereeing was sub standard also.  So, which game did you get? Obviously one of no significance!  ;) ::)
My Philosophy on self preservation - "pull on him before he pulls on you, and pull early"

S Áine

Quote from: NAG1 on September 03, 2012, 01:05:03 PM
No one any the wiser after the weekends games, still going to be all on the day between Cushendall and Dunloy. LG win the other semi final handy enough so it's as you were really.

MR2 I think maybe there is a perceived lack of respect to the hurling championship by your boys from other clubs, might explain some of the rougher treatment handed out.

There's no lack of respect at all. If anything the lack of respect is directed towards St Galls and other clubs who compete in both codes. Compare St Galls run in to the match yesterday with Cushendall. Two senior football championship fixtures, senior football league fixtures, minor championship, not even leaving one clear week to address hurling solely. Cushendall had an uncongested run of a few league fixtures and plenty of time in between to focus on preparation, perhaps including challange matches. Considering that 18 of the football panel also play hurling there is a big demand on the St Galls players in every way. And don't forget these boys have been on the go for a few years now. Surely the timing of the two championships has to be reconsidered. Would the north Antrim clubs allow that though? As far as I know Rossa were having to play senior football fixtures before their hurling championship and St Johns played St Galls last Wednesday night. St Galls have no complaints about the game and the result and good luck to Cushendall.

Jesusjones

Loughgiel 4/5
Cushendall6/4
Dunloy 6/1
St. Johns 16/1

I'd have thought Dunloy would have been shorter odds than that!!

winker3716

I will tell ye one thing though, in my humble opinion.  St. Galls, if, and it's a big if, committed to one season, say next year to focusing, committing and putting the same level of their physical and human resources, under the right man (no, you!) as they do for football, I honestly believe they could win a county hurling championship.  Have no doubt about that.  Big question is though, will they/would they want to?????  Therein is the dilemma for St. Galls!

Big ball or wee ball?

NAG1

Quote from: winker3716 on September 03, 2012, 03:36:50 PM
I will tell ye one thing though, in my humble opinion.  St. Galls, if, and it's a big if, committed to one season, say next year to focusing, committing and putting the same level of their physical and human resources, under the right man (no, you!) as they do for football, I honestly believe they could win a county hurling championship.  Have no doubt about that.  Big question is though, will they/would they want to?????  Therein is the dilemma for St. Galls!

Big ball or wee ball?

Again all ifs and buts with nothing to back it up!

Lads esp MR2 I have nothing but the biggest admiration for your club and its record, but in my opinion be it due to timing or internal matters within the club the commitment wasn't given to hurling this year. The stuff against Cushendall wasn't out of ordinaryandmy point is that had this happened in the football it wouldn't warrant a mention.

P's Ballycastle have a football team as do Dunloy these seem to be recreational teams in the same sense that the milltown hurling team is! :-)

johnneycool

I'd find it hard to believe that any of the Cushendall players fired the butt of the hurl into their St Galls opponent because they only trained 3 times for the game and 'hadn't given the fixture the respect it deserved'.

Utter pish IMO.

the colonel

Quote from: winker3716 on September 03, 2012, 03:26:16 PM
Quote from: Megaman on September 03, 2012, 02:31:58 PM

Nothing new there man! The Ciaran lad is the only hurler among them.  Seems like a trait they picked up from their father, another major gurner and still is by all accounts?

Winker if you knew anything about hurling you would know that CJ can more than hold his own
the difference between success and failure is energy