Gas or Oil

Started by JoG2, January 17, 2018, 12:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Our area can now avail of Firmus gas. Have heard it's a good bit cheaper to heat the home / water with gas than oil. Anyone switch from oil to gas? thanks

haranguerer

Haven't switched Jog, but have had both at different stages in different houses, and its the first thing I'd do if I moved into a place with oil. I've found gas to be preferable in pretty much every aspect.

JoG2

good man, that seems to be the general consensus haranguerer. Will ring them today to see the craic

Jeepers Creepers

Just about to get Gas in JOG. Moved to a new house and need the oil boiler replaced so taking the plunge to Gas (plus ran out on Boxing day). Fed up trudging in and out of the garden dipping the tank all the time to see what oil there is. Most people we know have Gas and say its the best thing theyve done in years.

playwiththewind1st

I moved from a house with oil to one that already had gas installed in 2016. Obviously, I didn't have the hassle of having to get the gas put in, but I think the gas is far easier, to be honest.

Milltown Row2

Is there a grant going about now also? price wise its the same, as the in laws have the gas and they pay roughly the same yearly as we do for oil
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2018, 11:06:51 AM
Is there a grant going about now also? price wise its the same, as the in laws have the gas and they pay roughly the same yearly as we do for oil

I think the convenience is the big thing, instant hot water
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

yeah, that would be my main thing, as someone said going out to the tank to check if you havent one of those readers to let you know, bleeding of the rads when the oil runs out is a pain.. so yeah, £3000 needed now..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2018, 11:26:11 AM
yeah, that would be my main thing, as someone said going out to the tank to check if you havent one of those readers to let you know, bleeding of the rads when the oil runs out is a pain.. so yeah, £3000 needed now..

Eh?

trueblue1234

Quote from: GJL on January 18, 2018, 11:27:27 AM

Eh?

Boiler I'd assume.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

lurganblue

Is that how much it costs to convert then?

Jeepers Creepers

There was a grant before Christmas but it was means tested. We were quoted £2400, but have heard btw that and 3k. Get at least 3 quotes and dont let to each on what the previous were...

GJL

No gas in our area but I'm considering upgrading my old oil burner to a condenser type. Is there a grant for such?

thebuzz

Quote from: GJL on January 18, 2018, 12:49:21 PM
No gas in our area but I'm considering upgrading my old oil burner to a condenser type. Is there a grant for such?

No gas in our area either. We have underfloor heating and although it's a nice heat it definitely uses more oil than radiators. Have been talking about getting a condensing boiler but haven't got around to it yet. I think the grant is means tested.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on January 18, 2018, 11:27:27 AM

Eh?

Yeah what i found was that the bolier needed bled, which was a bollox, for mine i had to blow out the pipe till the oil filtered through to the boiler, but for some reason on some of the radiators it lost pressure and i had to use the rad key and let the air out!