Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

You wouldn't even have to hire extra supervisors as there is no JC. Teachers in one school small towns are under unfair pressure if they live in said town.

upmonaghansayswe

The lack of earning potential for students during the summer is a valid concern. Would a waive of next years fee / additional grant allocation not be a solution.

mrdeeds

There's talk that they will inflate the grades of good schools to maintain their status. Madness.

mrdeeds

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2020, 10:15:01 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on May 08, 2020, 10:06:24 AM
There's talk that they will inflate the grades of good schools to maintain their status. Madness.
What do you mean? Who will inflate them? Why would they need to?

Because fear DEIS schools will grade higher so the posh schools want to maintain their superiority. 

mrdeeds

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2020, 10:19:59 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on May 08, 2020, 10:16:23 AM

Because fear DEIS schools will grade higher so the posh schools want to maintain their superiority.
And there is no chance that posh schools will inflate higher?

They (whoever they are) will not be allowed to inflate the grades of certain schools. Where is this talk?

There's a lecturer on about it on twitter. Was inferred by an education correspondent on radio this morning.

Irish Times say the bell curve will be followed plus school indicators. Basically private schools can give whatever they want, DEIS keep in your lane

five points

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2020, 10:33:51 AM
I very much doubt that private schools will go totally unchecked.

It's the prospect of solicitor's letters that will do the checking.

five points

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2020, 12:09:14 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about a solicitor's letter. Teachers give a result based on the evidence they have. I don't see how wee Johnny can produce evidence to the contrary unless he has been turned over.

If a process is faulty or open to manipulation, that itself is ample grounds for a successful challenge.  https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rebecca-carter-overwhelmed-and-delighted-after-leaving-cert-score-appeal-victory-871733.html

five points

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2020, 12:23:06 PM
There is no doubt that there will be appeals and there will be faults found in some of the processes but that isn't a reflection on the teacher and in that regard, the teacher should have nothing to worry about. There is a level of professional integrity to be kept here. The process is well underway in the north at the minute and to be honest I haven't heard much of this fear from teachers.
Of course the impact won't directly fall on individual teachers, nor should it.

Substandard

Got a lot of emails last night from students last night up in a heap.  What has annoyed me so far is announcements made without having the details ironed out in advance,  leaving a vacuum to be filled each time on social media fuelling hysteria and causing stress that could and should have been avoided.
Every year, there would always be a certain amount of 'bolters ', students that would get a result well above expectations.  Correspondingly,  there would always be one or two that, for whatever reason,  just wouldn't perform on the day.  What applying the curve and their previous averages will do is rule out deviations. 
It's all unknown territory for all stakeholders in education,  so some reassurance for the students in particular would be welcome. 

Milltown Row2

My wife has completed her grades and it's not been that difficult, a lot of it was based on previous exams the students have taken, assessments can prove very effective.

All results are subject to change and the buck stops with the awarding body who will take into consideration previous results the school has produced, appeal system is simple, take the exam if you want, when it's safe to do so
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

five points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 08, 2020, 01:34:04 PM
My wife has completed her grades and it's not been that difficult, a lot of it was based on previous exams the students have taken, assessments can prove very effective.

All results are subject to change and the buck stops with the awarding body who will take into consideration previous results the school has produced, appeal system is simple, take the exam if you want, when it's safe to do so

There is no exam available to sit though. And first year college starts in the autumn.

mrdeeds

Quote from: five points on May 08, 2020, 01:35:50 PM

There is no exam available to sit though. And first year college starts in the autumn.

Apparently there's an option to sit an exam.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 08, 2020, 10:16:23 AM

Round Armagh it's not the posh schools likely to inflate the grades. Precedent there.

mrdeeds

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 08, 2020, 01:43:05 PM

Sorry exam won't be in time for CAO offers.

five points

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 08, 2020, 01:43:05 PM

Yeah they've said that but they've also said they can't hold exams because of health risks.  ::)