Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

It's all too easy to just say we don't care what RTE do or say and to take the siege mentality approach but to me you're burying your head in the sand if you can't see that RTE Sport do have a lot of influence over the country's perceptions.

Sure didn't I tell you what my young lad's 6 year old mates were saying to me about Tyrone being a bunch of cheats and dirty cynical players. When I asked why they said they always drag you down when going in for goals. Yes of course this is just young kids being told what to think but it does influence what people think and of course in turn influences opposing fans and then referees.
Tyrone's lack of response to those accusations might not have helped their tactics whereas Dublin's perceived clean cut image meant they had a clean slate to perform cynical tackles in the AI final that Tyrone would not have got away with.

The other attitude of course is "ahh yer just a bunch of Tyrmoanies and yis all have a chip on yer shoulder". I dunno maybe some do play that card but with Brolly's very vociferous opinions last year, it is interesting how this year he is praising Mickey Harte for playing attractive open football which his U12's will really appreciate.

The Trap

So Tyrone played 5 games in McKenna Cup, 7 in league and the county panel have had 4/5 months of uninterupted time together but could anyone even come close to naming the team that will start against Down? I was trying to have a go but got stuck after Morgan!!!!!!!

God14

Quote from: The Trap on April 07, 2014, 03:01:40 PM
So Tyrone played 5 games in McKenna Cup, 7 in league and the county panel have had 4/5 months of uninterupted time together but could anyone even come close to naming the team that will start against Down? I was trying to have a go but got stuck after Morgan!!!!!!!

Unfortunately that is true. The problem is that we have too many players on the same level, particularly in defence. Take the corner back slots, there isn't much difference between McRory, Tierney, Quinn, McKenna. Harte has given them all a chance to nail the jersey & none of them have. Their simply isn't enough stardust in the squad.

My 15 would be
1 N Morgan
2 R McNamee
3 C Clarke
4 AN other - any of the 4 mentioned above
5 D McBride
6 C Gormley
7 P Harte
8 Colm Cavanagh
9 One of the McMahon bros if fit
10 Martin Penrose
11 Ronan O'Neill
12 Mathew Donnelly
13 Kyle Coney
14 Sean Cavanagh
15 Darren McCurry

sensethetone

Up The Middle

Quote from: God14 on April 07, 2014, 04:04:37 PM
Quote from: The Trap on April 07, 2014, 03:01:40 PM

Unfortunately that is true. The problem is that we have too many players on the same level, particularly in defence. Take the corner back slots, there isn't much difference between McRory, Tierney, Quinn, McKenna. Harte has given them all a chance to nail the jersey & none of them have. Their simply isn't enough stardust in the squad.

My 15 would be
1 N Morgan
2 R McNamee
3 C Clarke
4 AN other - any of the 4 mentioned above
5 D McBride
6 C Gormley
7 P Harte
8 Colm Cavanagh
9 One of the McMahon bros if fit
10 Martin Penrose
11 Ronan O'Neill
12 Mathew Donnelly
13 Kyle Coney
14 Sean Cavanagh
15 Darren McCurry

Admittedly i havent seen a lot of McBride but from the few games i have seen i wouldn't have him even close to the starting 15. Donnelly for me at 5 and Gormley holding at 6. Mark Donnelly 12, PJ Quinn 4, and McAliskey for Coney.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Redhand Santa

My own team would be as follows:
Morgan
Mcnamee
Mcbride
Pj Quinn (McKenna if not fit)
Mcnabb (Mcginley if not fit)
Gormley
Harte
Colm c
Joe McMahon (defensive role, Clark if not fit)
Penrose
Mattie d (playing deep)
Mark d
Mccurry
Sean c
Ronan oneill

bigfrank

All senior and reserve players to wear gumshields in league and champ starting this weekend?cumpolsary? As if the refs haven't enough to worry about

matchfit21

How is there not a place on that team for Ronan O'Neill?

Under Lights

How many players are officially on the Tyrone panel this year? 35?

trueblue1234

Quote from: bigfrank on April 07, 2014, 09:57:59 PM
All senior and reserve players to wear gumshields in league and champ starting this weekend?cumpolsary? As if the refs haven't enough to worry about

Has that not been in since the start of the year?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Under Lights

I see on the other Down V Tyrone thread posters talking about how MH should have players that are the man markers in their clubs in the county set up? Who are we talking about here? Does any of Errigal's returned players have the potential to do this?
Who would Clonoe's man marker be?

Seen some Kildress lad mentioned but to be honest I've never really seen him- didn't he get a run out in McKenna cup last year?

Frank Burns looked to have great potential in last years AI minor final.

Up The Middle

I never seen young Burns pick up a man last year at all, he played as a sweeper in front of the full back line, you could hardly describe him as a man marker. Would McCrory from Errigal not be a man marker?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

smort

McCrory marked Poland out of the game on Sunday. Would Dwayne Quinn from Clonoe be an option for the corner back spot?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: smort on May 21, 2014, 09:52:15 AM
McCrory marked Poland out of the game on Sunday. Would Dwayne Quinn from Clonoe be an option for the corner back spot?

Mcrory was excellent on sunday, but i would probably rate both Rio Quinn & DD mcdermott of errigal ahead of him!
dwayne quinn looks a good player, but the alst thing we need is another clonoe man siting on the bench  ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Under Lights

Quote from: Up The Middle on May 21, 2014, 09:34:51 AM
I never seen young Burns pick up a man last year at all, he played as a sweeper in front of the full back line, you could hardly describe him as a man marker. Would McCrory from Errigal not be a man marker?

Never actually meant for Burns to be a man marker but was just thinking of other lads that could come into the system. He is actually a point scorer for his club.

Burns, Rory Breenan, Dwayne Quinn, Marty Swift all players that will probably be looked at in the early stages of next year.