The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo_run

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on July 12, 2018, 01:20:19 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 12, 2018, 12:54:07 PM
For England to improve I feel they have to restrict the number of overseas players in any team in the premiership and championship. Be interesting to see how Brexit will affect players coming here, or do they get special treatment?

its the opposite, their players have to play in other countries to improve. but they wont because thats uncomfortable, and they always stay in their comfort zone. division 2 in france spain or germany would improve the technique of any player, in england its just kick and rush all the time.

Was wondering how many of England's players play abroad and it was a grand total of 0.

However, how many of the currently England team would play top flight football abroad?

mrdeeds

For England to improve I feel they have to restrict the number of overseas players in any team in the premiership and championship. Be interesting to see how Brexit will affect players coming here, or do they get special treatment?

France and Crotia most of their players play abroad. Doesn't do them any harm

seafoid

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 12, 2018, 01:34:32 PM

9/23 of the France squad play in France
2/23 of the Croatian squad play at home

England has the richest League in the world which is a problem for the national team. There is almost always a better player somewhere else
France has a much better development system. Plus I think they grant citizenship to promising African footballers.
Mbappe has the potential to become a galactico.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Maybe because they start off with flair technique skill... premiership foreign players bring that to the league, as far as I know they don't coach kids
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2018, 01:57:37 PM

9/23 of the France squad play in France
2/23 of the Croatian squad play at home

England has the richest League in the world which is a problem for the national team. There is almost always a better player somewhere else
France has a much better development system. Plus I think they grant citizenship to promising African footballers.
Mbappe has the potential to become a galactico.

Of the French squad at the World Cup only two weren't born in France.

shark

England have a solid production line of technically gifted players coming through. But the problem for those players is going to be their development from 18-22. They need exposure to European football, preferably Champions League, and the only way to get that is to leave the Premier League. They won't be trusted by the managers of top 6 Premier League clubs who need to win now, and not tomorrow. But they won't leave England if the past is any indication. The exception right now is Lookman from Everton, who spent last season at Leipzig.

Maroon Manc

England were never going to beat a good team playing that way, they simply don't have the midfield for it. England strengths were good fullbacks who are very quick, a good winger in Sterling and good attacking midfielder in Ali whilst having one of the best forwards in Kane. Then there's Rashford who can play a few different roles. To play Ali & Lingard in the same midfield 3 against someone as good as Modric is never going to work out for a full 90 minutes.

Southgate is lucky that Colombia were missing their best player as I suspect if he'd played Colombia would have won and he'd have got plenty of criticism. They've had a good world cup because of the draw and coudn't beat any of the 3 good teams they played. They beat a Swedish team who don't have a player good enough to get in the England team.

Contrary to what many beieve I think big Sam might have got that England team to a final with the easy draw they had.

shark

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 12, 2018, 02:18:46 PM
England were never going to beat a good team playing that way, they simply don't have the midfield for it. England strengths were good fullbacks who are very quick, a good winger in Sterling and good attacking midfielder in Ali whilst having one of the best forwards in Kane. Then there's Rashford who can play a few different roles. To play Ali & Lingard in the same midfield 3 against someone as good as Modric is never going to work out for a full 90 minutes.

Southgate is lucky that Colombia were missing their best player as I suspect if he'd played Colombia would have won and he'd have got plenty of criticism. They've had a good world cup because of the draw and coudn't beat any of the 3 good teams they played. They beat a Swedish team who don't have a player good enough to get in the England team.

Contrary to what many beieve I think big Sam might have got that England team to a final with the easy draw they had.

While agreeing with most of what you're saying, and acknowledging that Sweden played poorly against England, we should not dismiss that win for England. Sweden beat France and Italy on their way to qualifying. Finished ahead of The Netherlands, ahead of Germany in their group, and beat a decent Swiss team.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: shark on July 12, 2018, 02:28:15 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 12, 2018, 02:18:46 PM

While agreeing with most of what you're saying, and acknowledging that Sweden played poorly against England, we should not dismiss that win for England. Sweden beat France and Italy on their way to qualifying. Finished ahead of The Netherlands, ahead of Germany in their group, and beat a decent Swiss team.

You've got a point but those Dutch, Italian & German teams were far from vintage. It was a big win form them in fairness but given the individuals in that Swedish team they shouldn't be beating an England team that actually looked organised for a change.

Over the Bar

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

🇭🇷 Dejan Lovren:

🗣 "I took Liverpool to the final of the Champions League & now Croatia to the World Cup Final. I think people should recognise that I am one of the best defenders in the world." https://t.co/m6gGUjCttz

laoislad

England all over the shop here. Could be in for a hiding.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

I suppose this puts the theory that Kane was injured in last game!

After watching the tennis, this game is dung in terms of excitement or skill!

Back to sunbathing, drinking and chillaxing

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Do the locals fancy their chances 2moro MR? Bound to be some excitement where you are!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on July 14, 2018, 04:26:09 PM
Do the locals fancy their chances 2moro MR? Bound to be some excitement where you are!

Speaking to a few last night and the general gist is they believe they can win because of their never say die attitude.. they know the tiredness might set in but think they have a chance.. lovely friendly people tbh.

I said to a guy last night that we've been on holiday in France when won it, and in Spain when they won it, though we ain't in Russia we are holidaying in another finalists country! He was chuffed bought us a drink.

The place is completely decked out in flags, colours,everyone wearing tops..

Insane Bolt

Some stat for golden boot Kane... last shot on target was penalty v Colombia 🙄
Listening to Hoddle reminded me of Boris.....trying to polish a turd😂