Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Dabh on July 17, 2023, 04:03:51 PM
Did Joe play a bitta football in Cavan?

Joe maybe played a bitta something else round Rathmore at some stage..  'GAA LookaLikes'

[/quote]

That is uncanny, he even inherited his facial expressions!

yellowcard

Quote from: God14 on July 17, 2023, 04:11:38 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 17, 2023, 03:47:34 PM
Firstly well played Derry and ye really put it up to the Kingdom much better than I thought ye would.
Excellent first half with them really going for it in attack and not just sitting back and trying to defend in numbers.

Thought McKinless, Rogers, McFaul and McGuigan played well but was very disappointed with Glass. I know White is fast but Glass didn't really try too hard to track his run for the Kerry goal. Surely he should be one of the main leaders of that team but thought he went missing today.
Kerry certainly weren't going to be outmuscled today and played with their now well know cynical edge that isn't always obvious from watching on TV.

As most of us know, it's very hard for a ref to make the right decision in that split second something happens. How many times have you been sure about something at a match to come home and watch it and change your mind. Clifford's shoulder on McGuigan looked terrible in real time but from replays it was a clean shoulder.
I think the ref was not giving McGuigan much protection during the game and he was definitely targeted but maybe Joe felt McGuigan and others were always holding their head when they got a knock, even if hit elsewhere.
I think at the end McGuigan was not happy to shake the Kerry defenders hands and O'Connor as he felt he was unfairly targetted but he eventually did.

Derry have learnt a lot since their defeat to Galway last year and certainly showed they are up there now at the top table.
If they had a few more decent forwards they could go all the way.
They will be disappointed how the second half panned out and I agree that Lynch is far too slow for playing as a sweeper keeper. He has a good long shot but he is an accident waiting to happen. No urgency.
I presume there will be no retirements from that team.

Good balanced post Fuzz. I agree especially on Conor Glass. All of Derrys 'big name players' really delivered massive performances - bar Glass. Ive always viewed Glass as a bit meek, passive and ponderous. And a very strange choice as captain, when there are evidently better leaders elsewhere on the team.
Perhaps Gallagher gave him the captains armband to try and get in his head and really put it to him? ... to try and force him to step up a bit. He has the tools in his locker but just seems unable to use them.
Derry will be back - they are in a great place. People say its a long way back - its not really. They are practically guaranteed to be in the Quarter finals next summer. The age range in the squad is ideal. Defeats like yesterday build character & resolve, they will take some stopping.
Need to work on developing the squad depth over the winter, and need to find another scoring forward. But yesterday was hugely impressive. Their trajectory has continued to rise, when many including myself thought it would plateau. And they have young talent on the horizon, their underage teams have been excellent this last 5 or 6 years

You've got to take the chance when it presents itself though. This presumption that they will be back again and can go further again next year needs to be debunked. Everyone thought the same about Galway after last years AI final performance and they were dumped out at the last 12 stage this season. Unfortunately everybody starts at zero again in January and the previous year is soon forgotten.   

Mario

Firstly well played Derry and ye really put it up to the Kingdom much better than I thought ye would.
Excellent first half with them really going for it in attack and not just sitting back and trying to defend in numbers.

Thought McKinless, Rogers, McFaul and McGuigan played well but was very disappointed with Glass. I know White is fast but Glass didn't really try too hard to track his run for the Kerry goal. Surely he should be one of the main leaders of that team but thought he went missing today.
Kerry certainly weren't going to be outmuscled today and played with their now well know cynical edge that isn't always obvious from watching on TV.

As most of us know, it's very hard for a ref to make the right decision in that split second something happens. How many times have you been sure about something at a match to come home and watch it and change your mind. Clifford's shoulder on McGuigan looked terrible in real time but from replays it was a clean shoulder.
I think the ref was not giving McGuigan much protection during the game and he was definitely targeted but maybe Joe felt McGuigan and others were always holding their head when they got a knock, even if hit elsewhere.
I think at the end McGuigan was not happy to shake the Kerry defenders hands and O'Connor as he felt he was unfairly targetted but he eventually did.

Derry have learnt a lot since their defeat to Galway last year and certainly showed they are up there now at the top table.
They will be disappointed how the second half panned out and I agree that Lynch is far too slow for playing as a sweeper keeper. He has a good long shot but he is an accident waiting to happen. No urgency.
Lynch has a tough job and does it very well. He hasn't made a mistake leading to a goal or point this year that I can remember. Derry don't use him like Ethan Rafferty to punch holes in defence so he doesn't need to be fast as there are other players to do that. He's there to create an overlap and is a good passer of the ball with a good shot, though he was very obvious in winding it up v Kerry in that second half. He's also been very good under the high ball all year and made crucial saves all year. If there is one player we can not afford to get injured it is him.

tbrick18

Would agree with all of that apart from the comment on Glass and Lynch.
I wouldnt say he went missing, I think he was up against a formidable opponent who restricted his game somewhat. Add in, he was playing a slightly different role than he normally does.
He covered some ground yesterday and you couldn't fault the effort imo.

Lynch, imo, has the most difficult position on the field. He has more positives that negatives in my view. Yes he sometimes looks ponderous on the ball, but his distribution is excellent and he pops up with the odd score as well as challenging on opposition kickouts. He made a couple of poor shooting decisions yesterday when he should have passed I feel, but we can forgive any of them for a mistake or two given the effort and performance they put in.
For me, he's our no.1 keeper and I wouldn't change it.

Mario

Quote from: yellowcard on July 17, 2023, 04:22:02 PM

Good balanced post Fuzz. I agree especially on Conor Glass. All of Derrys 'big name players' really delivered massive performances - bar Glass. Ive always viewed Glass as a bit meek, passive and ponderous. And a very strange choice as captain, when there are evidently better leaders elsewhere on the team.
Perhaps Gallagher gave him the captains armband to try and get in his head and really put it to him? ... to try and force him to step up a bit. He has the tools in his locker but just seems unable to use them.
Derry will be back - they are in a great place. People say its a long way back - its not really. They are practically guaranteed to be in the Quarter finals next summer. The age range in the squad is ideal. Defeats like yesterday build character & resolve, they will take some stopping.
Need to work on developing the squad depth over the winter, and need to find another scoring forward. But yesterday was hugely impressive. Their trajectory has continued to rise, when many including myself thought it would plateau. And they have young talent on the horizon, their underage teams have been excellent this last 5 or 6 years

You've got to take the chance when it presents itself though. This presumption that they will be back again and can go further again next year needs to be debunked. Everyone thought the same about Galway after last years AI final performance and they were dumped out at the last 12 stage this season. Unfortunately everybody starts at zero again in January and the previous year is soon forgotten.
It doesn't seem that far away with the new system. If you are a top 5/6 team you'll get out of your group, then you have to win one game to get back to a semi final. It's easier than it used to be for the top sides in Ulster.

Wildweasel74

I didn't think Glass was bad, he didn't stand out, to me alot due to the change in what he was required to do. He def too nice at times, just the way the lad is, he's a nice guy, and wouldn't be a fierce enforcer which Derry needed like F Doherty, D Heaney,, B McGilligan. Derry playing a year in Division 1 for the first time since 2015, will bring them on. There probably 2/3 changes required on the team plus the bench needs strengthen by 5 plus. Only good forward coming out of Derry but not yet on the County Team is, McCullagh of Slaughtneil. Think they need to go bck and add 3/4 Glen men to the team for cover. E Bradley I actually start at wing forward.

tbrick18

Quote from: Mario on July 17, 2023, 04:24:54 PM

It doesn't seem that far away with the new system. If you are a top 5/6 team you'll get out of your group, then you have to win one game to get back to a semi final. It's easier than it used to be for the top sides in Ulster.

It'll be interesting to see if they t**ker with the rules again though and also how teams adapt after this year.
I think provincial winners should get a by into the QFs. Groups have 3 teams then, so only 2 group games which saves a weekend and only the top team to go through which cuts out pre-qf's. Less games ok, but everyone is guaranteed at least 3 games. No massive gaps in the calendar as there are only 2 group games, which could be played on consecutive weekends.
This would retain the relevance of the provincials and still give everyone a decent crack at it. Perhaps it wouldn't generate as much in gate receipts though or tv/gaago money.

Mario

I didn't realise there was scope to tweak the format. I thought that is it for a few years before the next review.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 17, 2023, 04:27:00 PM
I didn't think Glass was bad, he didn't stand out, to me alot due to the change in what he was required to do. He def too nice at times, just the way the lad is, he's a nice guy, and wouldn't be a fierce enforcer which Derry needed like F Doherty, D Heaney,, B McGilligan. Derry playing a year in Division 1 for the first time since 2015, will bring them on. There probably 2/3 changes required on the team plus the bench needs strengthen by 5 plus. Only good forward coming out of Derry but not yet on the County Team is, McCullagh of Slaughtneil. Think they need to go bck and add 3/4 Glen men to the team for cover. E Bradley I actually start at wing forward.

Yes Emmet Bradley would have been very useful coming on at half time.
What about Danny Tallon and the other Doherty lad?

armaghniac

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 17, 2023, 04:29:30 PM
Quote from: Mario on July 17, 2023, 04:24:54 PM

It'll be interesting to see if they t**ker with the rules again though and also how teams adapt after this year.
I think provincial winners should get a by into the QFs. Groups have 3 teams then, so only 2 group games which saves a weekend and only the top team to go through which cuts out pre-qf's. Less games ok, but everyone is guaranteed at least 3 games. No massive gaps in the calendar as there are only 2 group games, which could be played on consecutive weekends.
This would retain the relevance of the provincials and still give everyone a decent crack at it. Perhaps it wouldn't generate as much in gate receipts though or tv/gaago money.

It is also a free gift to Dublin and Kerry, while one of Galway/Mayo and three of Derry/Armagh/Monaghan/Tyrone have fight it out in the bearpit, depending on the draw.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Both should be on the county panel, Conor & Mark McGrogan of Newbridge, Dan Higgins Mfelt, Ben McKinless drafted in as back up keeper, The 2 McDermotts coming out of Glen will be county men in a few years, the Danny lad exceptional. Looking back at Derry preformances past 3/4 yrs, you got to wonder how it all feel apart back in 2014 when Derry had a decent team.

Derryman forever

What was it? Club rivalry or was there a Toxic evironment left after the departure of the two Brothers?

tbrick18

Quote from: Mario on July 17, 2023, 04:33:43 PM
I didn't realise there was scope to tweak the format. I thought that is it for a few years before the next review.

No idea, I'm just rambling.

Rossfan

Armaghniac...you might check th'oul Connacht SFC results and less of the 1 of "Galway/Mayo(sic)" please.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

I think it's fixed for a few years. Three or something.

There are far too many games though.