Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Wildweasel74

Simply put  we need couple of points a piece from Loughlin/ Toner/McFaul tomorrow on top of scores from Doherty/ Cassidy. We can't reply on McGuigan tomorrow as Kerry double up on him. Half back line needs to fire on all cyclinders. Not sure, about Midfield, O'connor could get alot of space with Glass playing very deep. I prefer to see one of the forwards pick him up. Clifford, well can he play as bad as the last day. Away early in the morning, still not sure if we got the answers to some questions, mainly the last 15mins and a bench which simply not had enough game time outside of Cassidy, Heron. Am happy McNeill there to come in, who's the other 2, Murray, Cassidy?

restorepride

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 15, 2023, 11:05:01 PM
Any idea of expected attendance? 40-50k?
Nearer the 40 I would have thought, maybe even less if Kilkenny and New York don't bring a wheen!  :D  It feels as if not as many Derry supporters travelling as v Gaillimh last year.  Croke Park have given an expected figure of 50,000 - so they might be in the know!! :o

JoG2

Think so Walt. 7 sections of the upper Cusack have been on sale since Wednesday, only tickets left for the back rows atm. A scattering of tickets still left in the lower Davin by the looks of it

From a Google search:

the hill/nally terrace holds 13 thousand
corporate/premium holds 8 thousand
lower tier holds 43 thousand
upper tier holds 18 thousand
wheelchair area 3 hundred

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 15, 2023, 11:08:49 PM
Simply put  we need couple of points a piece from Loughlin/ Toner/McFaul tomorrow on top of scores from Doherty/ Cassidy. We can't reply on McGuigan tomorrow as Kerry double up on him. Half back line needs to fire on all cyclinders. Not sure, about Midfield, O'connor could get alot of space with Glass playing very deep. I prefer to see one of the forwards pick him up. Clifford, well can he play as bad as the last day. Away early in the morning, still not sure if we got the answers to some questions, mainly the last 15mins and a bench which simply not had enough game time outside of Cassidy, Heron. Am happy McNeill there to come in, who's the other 2, Murray, Cassidy?
I think Kerry will put Jack Barry on Glass and sacrifice him in an effort to nullify Conor.  Agree re the forwards - not sure I would have Toner on at all except we are short a free taker from that side.  Morley will sweep all day so we need to be inventive there to take advantage and patient. 

Jell 0 Biafra

Btw, If you're ticket is for the Hill, and you want to stand near the goalposts, don't be fooled by the stewards telling you that you can go in any turnstile for the Hill.  Take the first two turnstiles only as you turn in from Clonliffe.  If you go on to the latter two, you'll be over in the corner (unless you climb the barriers).

BuzzCagney

Kerry crowd will save themselves for 2 weeks time.

Seamus

Quote from: HiMucker on July 15, 2023, 09:23:51 PM
Both our midfielders got the better of Barry and oconnor on the kick outs.
Midfield is definitely somewhere we have an advantage on for tomorrow. Half back line as well, but need to contain paudie Clifford. I think our hf line should win that battle as well. If we dominate that middle 8 it will go a long way to nullifying the Kerry forward threat.

Look, best of luck to Derry but that is an amazing analysis. If that were the case Derry will win pulling up. Dermot O'Connor has the potential to be one of the best if not the best midfielder in the country, he has it all.  At 24, finally that seems to be coming to fruition. Gavin White is the best wing back in the country. Paudie Clifford is the Kerry play maker supreme, wearing #13 but will be everywhere. Jason Foley V Shane McGuigan is huge, Foley hasn't been beaten all year, even when Kerry were playing badly. If Derry come out on top in all those 4 areas they will be well on the way to victory. Kerry always had difficulties breaking down systems, tomorrow may be no different. Their fast accurate kick passing could be the key to unlocking it. The drier the sod the better in order for that to work. Like today, I expect the stronger bench to get their team over the line.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

BuzzCagney

How many of Derry 15 would make Kerry 15?

BuzzCagney

Quote from: Seamus on July 16, 2023, 12:41:18 AM
Midfield is definitely somewhere we have an advantage on for tomorrow. Half back line as well, but need to contain paudie Clifford. I think our hf line should win that battle as well. If we dominate that middle 8 it will go a long way to nullifying the Kerry forward threat.

Look, best of luck to Derry but that is an amazing analysis. If that were the case Derry will win pulling up. Dermot O'Connor has the potential to be one of the best if not the best midfielder in the country, he has it all.  At 24, finally that seems to be coming to fruition. Gavin White is the best wing back in the country. Paudie Clifford is the Kerry play maker supreme, wearing #13 but will be everywhere. Jason Foley V Shane McGuigan is huge, Foley hasn't been beaten all year, even when Kerry were playing badly. If Derry come out on top in all those 4 areas they will be well on the way to victory. Kerry always had difficulties breaking down systems, tomorrow may be no different. Their fast accurate kick passing could be the key to unlocking it. The drier the sod the better in order for that to work. Like today, I expect the stronger bench to get their team over the line.

It actually Diarmuid not Dermot O'Connor   "Diarmuid " is new Michael O'Connell

Seamus

Quote from: BuzzCagney on July 16, 2023, 01:11:48 AM
Quote from: Seamus on July 16, 2023, 12:41:18 AM

It actually Diarmuid not Dermot O'Connor   "Diarmuid " is new Michael O'Connell

Of course Buzz, I should have checked the spelling, I have been watching him since he was a garsun. Maybe the new Micko but not the new Jacko
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

thejuice

Quote from: restorepride on July 15, 2023, 11:11:36 PM
Nearer the 40 I would have thought, maybe even less if Kilkenny and New York don't bring a wheen!  :D  It feels as if not as many Derry supporters travelling as v Gaillimh last year.  Croke Park have given an expected figure of 50,000 - so they might be in the know!! :o
If they had put the Meath-Down game on today it might have been close to a sell out.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

onefineday

Quote from: BuzzCagney on July 16, 2023, 01:09:52 AM
How many of Derry 15 would make Kerry 15?
Depends on what roles you'd want for them, but you could easily make a case for half the team I'd have thought. May not all be upgrades, but neither would they be downgrades.
It might take that mixture of the best 15 from both to stop the mighty dubs in the final too!

BrotherMore6592

Derry to put up a gallant effort and do ulster football proud ( plus the anyone but Dublin or Kerry brigade )

But eventually football will win out after 50-55 mins and Kerry's supreme footballers will come through.

You can do all the running, S&C, handpassing, basketball and possession control you want but against a packed defence it won't put the ball over the bar from distance if McGuigan isn't on song.

Everyone on the Kerry team can kick a point, we saw that the last day.

Give the people what they want, Dublin v Kerry.

That's what the people will tune in for. Not pass the ball around the back line , slow build up, hand pass it into the correct position for a shot, and only then are you allowed to shoot.

Wildweasel74

Away soon, just hope we put in some sort of performanceabd not fall flat like the 2nd Half against Galway last year.