Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2023, 08:41:59 PM
It will be a difficult approach I feel, tactically do Derry stick with cautious defensive early approach and take advantages of counter attacking Kerry?

Or do they say, f**k it, let's go out and die with our boots on and unlock the chains?

Jesus no!!! We can't do that we'll get crucified like Tyrone did.

We have to play our usual game in defence (which was superb at the weekend bar the goal). I'm just hoping we've been keeping some offensive moves and formations to keep Kerry on their toes but we'll still play our ultra conservative game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on July 03, 2023, 09:15:30 PM
It will be a difficult approach I feel, tactically do Derry stick with cautious defensive early approach and take advantages of counter attacking Kerry?

Or do they say, f**k it, let's go out and die with our boots on and unlock the chains?

We have to play our usual game in defence (which was superb at the weekend bar the goal). I'm just hoping we've been keeping some offensive moves and formations to keep Kerry on their toes but we'll still play our ultra conservative game.

I thought Tyrone were defensive
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2023, 09:17:34 PM

Maybe I gave them too much credit... if they were defensive they did they didn't make a very good job of it!

square_ball

Both teams will set up similar. Kerry were very defensive on Saturday. Moved the ball extremely well when they turned the ball over in their half.

restorepride

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 03, 2023, 12:02:57 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 03, 2023, 11:03:12 AM
It's a big ask but if you told me at the start of this year we'd win the McKenna cup, beat Dublin in the league, get promoted, retain the Ulster Cship and get to another All Ireland semi final I'd have bitten your hand off. We've done really well this year to get to where we are and honestly we haven't played that well since the Monaghan Ulster game so I'm hoping we can turn it around for this game.

Kerry looked flying but Tyrone were so naive it was madness. Nobody at any stage thought that it would be a good idea to try a few long kickouts and take advantage of the Midfield advantage that they had to create a bit of mayhem up the pitch. Instead they kept popping it 5 yards and tried to move through the lines only to get turned over repeatedly.

I would expect our tactical ability to be better than that but at the end of the day Kerry have better players overall so I still expect them to win but I hope we put in a good performance.

Agree 100%.
What ever happens it's been a good year.
If we can raise our game the way we did against donegal in last years ulster final, we are in with a shout.
But Kerry have to be raging hot favorites after the weekend.
Agreed. The players will give their all and we should give our all in supporting them v Ciarraí. Big challenge but that is what you want and get in top 4. Doire abú!

Angus MacGyver

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2023, 09:17:34 PM

Tyrone weren't defensive, and haven't been all year. Their intensity in tackling has been poor in 2023. The reason  people gave them a chance v Kerry was due to their attack. Think for yourself and don't let the lazy SG  analysis cloud your judgment!
Derryvon the other hand...

Real Talk

Eamon Fitzmaurice (that cute ho#r from Kerry) has while on the Sunday Game / Sun/Sat Live pundit / co-commentator duty been very positive and completely understands the Derry system .... and Kerry replicated that v Tyrone in the first half.  So there's no surprise element whatsoever that Derry can come up.   Maybe rotating the players differently on our Long kick-out which means that Lynch needs to kick into the space in the hope that  either P Cassidy, McFaul or the inclusion of L Murray will time their run to get the catch.  Too often Glass has broken the ball too hard and there has been no one on the correct side to get the 'break'  .... these Derry players know each others strengths very well so it should be possible to get 3/4 of these correct in each half  .. generally Glass & Rogers are marked men so that is why i'm suggesting some less likely candidates to be targeted .... however there's no point in me trying "to teach a bird how to fly" .... Meenagh, Muldoon and Co are well capable of knowing whats needed at this stage.

Some people have suggested that Cork were awful but I watched the Kerry, Roscommon and Mayo games  versus  Cork and they were improving Match on Match ... yesterday the only thing that let them down was their shooting and some poor decision making.   Derry's system is good and as Fitzmaurice also said they have been the most consistent team in League and Championship this year.

tbrick18

Quote from: thebuzz on July 03, 2023, 06:57:28 PM
Quote from: bannside on July 03, 2023, 06:10:14 PM
Dubs and Monaghan will fill Croke, this one should be played after Tailteean Cup final. Not often Croke Pk misses out on an opportunity to sell tickets.
My thoughts exactly. I was sure our game would be on the Saturday evening after Down and Meath. Croker could have been three quarters full with those matches and Dublin and Monaghan would fill the place on the Sunday.

Sat game would not get the prime time rte slot on a Sunday.
With the public outcries about the current ai champs having to be aired on gaago, I suspect the real reason is that.

restorepride

Sounds like suicide. There are no chains - Armagh has used most of them.

JoG2

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 03, 2023, 10:53:00 PM
Dubs and Monaghan will fill Croke, this one should be played after Tailteean Cup final. Not often Croke Pk misses out on an opportunity to sell tickets.
My thoughts exactly. I was sure our game would be on the Saturday evening after Down and Meath. Croker could have been three quarters full with those matches and Dublin and Monaghan would fill the place on the Sunday.

With the public outcries about the current ai champs having to be aired on gaago, I suspect the real reason is that.

GAAGo coverage is now done for the year. Saturdays games were their last

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on July 03, 2023, 11:32:53 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 03, 2023, 10:53:00 PM

GAAGo coverage is now done for the year. Saturdays games were their last

Yeah I know but giving kerry the prime time Sunday slot will put an end to some of their complaints about having  their earlier games behind a pay wall.

BuzzCagney

Will Derry have enough firepower to beat Kerry? Kerry out Tyroned Tyrone with their defensive play. Huge credit to Paddy Tally.

Estimator

Assuming the Upper Tier isn't going to be open for this one.
No tickets on sale for it yet. Plenty still to be sold in the Lower Canal end.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Estimator on July 04, 2023, 02:38:31 PM
Assuming the Upper Tier isn't going to be open for this one.
No tickets on sale for it yet. Plenty still to be sold in the Lower Canal end.

i jumped in and took them, just in case they dont open up above.
no real bad seats in Croke anyway
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Captain Obvious

Derry have beaten and eliminated the reigning All Ireland senior football champs twice in their history: 1992 Down and 1993 Donegal

30 years on?