Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Bearded One on March 10, 2020, 11:28:33 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2020, 07:20:02 AM
Quote from: The Bearded One on March 10, 2020, 12:20:16 AM
Not the case. You don't have to shoot for a score, you can pass to another teammate but they can't call a mark from this.

Sorry your right, what I meant was he has to play the ball within the time, can't be a second mark though

Can't wait for the club leagues to start  8)

I'd two games on Sunday, a mistake in both, not life threatening at the moment but I'd say come championship it will be bedlam
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2020, 07:51:56 PM
Not the case. You don't have to shoot for a score, you can pass to another teammate but they can't call a mark from this.

Sorry your right, what I meant was he has to play the ball within the time, can't be a second mark though

I'd two games on Sunday, a mistake in both, not life threatening at the moment but I'd say come championship it will be bedlam

Back at the football whistling myself this year - first time in 4 years. (have been refereeing hurling)

Jaysus what has football become!
3 games in and thankfully haven't make any obvious errors but early days.

From the 3 games (senior, U18) I can see the offensive mark being an issue in big club matches.
The black card and timings will be a disaster to keep an eye on, and multiple black cards will be carnage!

Good luck to us all for 2020  :)
Its all about the Hurling.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh CĂșchulainns on March 11, 2020, 07:49:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2020, 07:51:56 PM

Back at the football whistling myself this year - first time in 4 years. (have been refereeing hurling)

Jaysus what has football become!
3 games in and thankfully haven't make any obvious errors but early days.

From the 3 games (senior, U18) I can see the offensive mark being an issue in big club matches.
The black card and timings will be a disaster to keep an eye on, and multiple black cards will be carnage!

Good luck to us all for 2020  :)

New score card available apparently which helps, wouldn't worry too much on the timing of the black cards, the coaches will be running on with their stop watches 'informing' you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

StephenC

Do the new rules apply to underage? How would the advance mark be figured out when not playing on a full pitch?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: StephenC on July 06, 2020, 09:36:18 AM
Do the new rules apply to underage? How would the advance mark be figured out when not playing on a full pitch?

Yes, they do.

But if a competition isn't going to follow the rulebook in terms of the dimensions of the pitch (which you are doing by playing on a reduced pitch) then I guess they can ignore whatever other rules they wish too, such as the attacking mark.

BennyCake

The new backpass rule.

Can a player pass the ball straight back to the keeper from the kickout, but the keeper just can't handle it? Can he fist it or hoof it away?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: BennyCake on July 06, 2020, 10:54:50 AM
The new backpass rule.

Can a player pass the ball straight back to the keeper from the kickout, but the keeper just can't handle it? Can he fist it or hoof it away?

Nope.
"Free is conceded when the goalkeeper plays the ball"

Milltown Row2

The new backpass rule.

If you've a player who wants to hit it back to the keeper after just receiving it for him to fist it or hoof it away then I'd take that defender off very quickly!

twohands!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJJhI61m1DI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVwePto531c

QuoteWATCH: The new kick-out and mark rules explained
Saturday 4 July 2020

By John Harrington

The GAA has produced two videos detailing how the new kick-out, kick-out mark, and advanced mark rules will work in Gaelic Football.

These videos are just one element of an education package that should ensure all referees are up to speed with the rule changes after a long period of inaction due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

"Since Covid-19 kicked in, for most referees it's 20 weeks since we've refereed you know, and even I as a club referee, (I know) it's going to be difficult getting back to it," says the GAA's National Match Officials Manager, Donal Smyth.

"For club referees we actually sent out a video that every club referee should have got last week and that contained mental health advice, advice in relation to how to get back up the fitness, and the pathway going forward.

"This week we'll be sending out a video for hurling and football. Two separate videos that will allow them look at their new rules as part of an in-service that they can get up to date on the rules, up to date on some of the stuff for going forward in relation to the new rules.

"It'll be like their in-service they did, but it will be done with a video that they can download themselves and they can watch it back at any stage.

"They should ensure that the Referee's Administrator gets that out to them this week or especially next week before competitive games start because all the new rules are explained and it'll help them get back into thinking about the game.

"We will be getting the information out regarding the new rules on YouTube videos to county boards and to all clubs.

"In the last eight months we've have a real change. We've had the new kick out rule we've had an advance mark and all those things were played in the National League.

"But since Congress 2020 we got two more rules. We got the one in relation to the kick out and the other thing is there's a slight change in the advance mark."

The kick-out and mark rules are explained below.

Kick-out rule

The ball will be kicked from the ground from the centre of the 20M line. The ball must be kicked forward. All players shall be outside the 20 metres line, outside the semi-cirlce arc, and 13 metres from the ball.

If the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he must remain within the small rectangle. The ball shall not travel less than 13 metres and outside the 20 metre line before being played by another member of the defending team.

A further change was made at GAA Congress 2020. A player in direct receipt of a kick-out may not pass the ball to his team's goalkeeper without another player playing the ball.

A breach of this rule would be a technical foul by the goalkeeper. Under the new rule, this would be a free against the goalkeeper.

If a defender kicks out the ball, the rule does not prevent the ball being kicked back to this defender.

Kick-out mark and advanced mark rules

There have been some changes to the kick-out mark which will align the kick-out mark with the advanced mark. The referee awards the mark by blowing his whistle.

The player will now claim the mark by putting his arm in the air. The player now has 15 seconds to take the mark, previous it was 5 seconds.

If in exceptional circumstances the player cannot take the mark awarded from the kick-out, the nearest team-mate will take the free kick and can score from it. The defending player must retreat 13 metres from the taker, previously it was 10 metres.

The kick-out mark is also designated a set-play. With the advanced mark those conditions apply but certain things must happen for a player to be awarded a mark.

The ball must be kicked by an attacking player, not from a set play, which is a kick-out mark, side-line ball, or from a free. The ball must travel 20M or more from outside the 45M line to a player inside the 45M line. The ball must be caught cleanly without touching the ground, and a defender can claim the mark also.

The referee awards the mark by blowing his whistle and the player claims it by putting up his arm. If a player claims the mark inside the 13 Metre line the ball must be taken out to the 13 Metre line directly in line where the mark was awarded.

If the player decides to play on, as with the kick-out mark, he cannot be tackled for four steps or the length of time it takes to travel four steps and/or makes one act of kicking, hand-passing, bouncing, or toe-tapping the ball.

There is one exception to this, when the ball is caught inside the large rectangle including the small rectangle, he can be tackled immediately. This was changed at GAA Congress 2020.

I read the last line of the bit in bold and it made me a bit confused (easily done says you) - to me this looks like if a player other than a goal-keeper takes a kickout, this player can receive the ball back directly back from their team-mate. There is a rule that a keeper has to be in the small square if they are not taking the kickout.

I went to have a look at the rules and regulations on the GAA website and the actual wording of the rule is.

QuoteA player in direct receipt of a kick-out may not pass the ball to his team's goalkeeper without another player playing the ball.

The rule about the keeper not taking the kick-out is as follows.

QuoteIf the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he shall stay in the small rectangle, and all other players, except the player taking the kick-out, shall be outside the 20m line, outside the semicircular arc and 13m from the ball until it has been kicked.

This means that in situations where a team taking a kick-out isn't being pushed up on by the other team, they could have a defender take a short one to an unmarked defender, who could pass it back to his team-mate who could then pop it back to the goal-keeper. Seems strange that this would be allowed. It will be interesting to see if teams actually do this on occasion - there's been numerous times in games the last few years where teams haven't pushed up on the opposition's kickouts even when behind.

The tackling/no tackling/play-on four steps or equivalent is an abomination of a rule in terms of putting the referees in the firing line. I'd say if you sat down with the aim of coming up with a rule designed to shaft referees you'd be hard-pressed to do worse than this. What happens if a player catches a ball in the air inside the large rectangle but lands outside; what happens in the reverse scenario - catches the ball outside and lands inside - lands exactly on the line - lands with one foot in and one foot out. There's no clarity for all this situations and that's before you get into the situations where the ref gets it wrong. It is an inevitably that this rule will end up deciding tight games before long.

Milltown Row2

Catches the ball, I'll take my interpretation as if he's catching not where he lands, If he lands at or out doesn't matter, it's the catching  of it for me. And a ref on his own in a club league game will call it and that will be that. Managers supporter and player will just have accept that. I know they won't and keep up with play will come into that.

Though I'd love to challenge the gobshite to a fitness test  ;D ;D

If clubs or counties are going to over elaborate their kick out to just confuse people then they need to wise up

BennyCake

1. Defender takes kickout. Kicks the ball sideways along the 21 yard line, keeper sprints out of the square to pick up the ball and proceed upfield. Is that allowed?

2. What if there's a gale. Keeper kicks out and the gale blows ball back inside the 21. What then?

3. Keeper kicks ball out, accidentally hits one of his defenders on back of the head and ball comes back to him. Can he gather it?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: BennyCake on July 06, 2020, 09:40:44 PM
1. Defender takes kickout. Kicks the ball sideways along the 21 yard line, keeper sprints out of the square to pick up the ball and proceed upfield. Is that allowed?

2. What if there's a gale. Keeper kicks out and the gale blows ball back inside the 21. What then?

3. Keeper kicks ball out, accidentally hits one of his defenders on back of the head and ball comes back to him. Can he gather it?

1. Don't see any reason why not

2. Hop ball if played by the defending team?

3. The rule states "the player who directly receives the ball from a kick-out cannot pass the ball back to the goalkeeper without another person playing it".  In your case I don't think the defender "passed" the ball back.  So should be OK.

JoG2

The new backpass rule.

This is being rolled out in the county championship this year only, not club , yes?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: JoG2 on July 07, 2020, 09:03:53 AM
The new backpass rule.

This is being rolled out in the county championship this year only, not club , yes?

No, it's also in for club games