Meath Searching for new Gaffer

Started by Barney, September 06, 2010, 11:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Sorry AZ if that sounded patronising, I was reflecting on the fact that we did win that game comfortably on the scoreboard but in reality it certainly wasn't a comfortable win. Where as in the other games we had decent leads and threw them away.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Logan

Who's going to be favourite now?
Or Who is even going to run for it?
It's not going to be an outsider that's for sure!

Hardy

I'm very surprised and very pleased. I never thought the club delegates would do this. In my opinion, as I've stated here before, Eamonn has zero tactical awareness and shows no sign of leadership capability. I can't remember a single tactical change he or his selectors ever made in a championship game or a single occasion on which they responded to any particular obvious problem we could all see from the stands. There didn't seem to be any fight in his teams and the spectacle of Meath having repeatedly done to them what Meath used to do to other teams (come from behind to defeat them, for instance) was endured too often for comfort. Add in the eccentric selection policies and bizarre experiments conducted in the League (and often continued into the championship) and then suddenly abandoned, when they had long been clearly senseless to the rest of us and you have a compelling case for a change of manager.

Thanks Eamonn, for your effort, dignity and decency. We had some good times over the past two years, and the under-achievement wasn't for want of commitment.

I wonder would Colm O'Rourke be up for the job? The obvious best candidate, in my opinion.

Myles and passedit - here's a joke you've probably never heard before. You can have it for nothing - it will improve the originality of your material:
Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side.

Logan

O'Rourke won't go for it.

Gerry McEntee might

agorm

Brendan Cummins, the Meath Co. Board PRO, was on the radio this morning and was implicitly very critical of the club delegates. He basically said that they hadn't a clue about this and that it was a dark day for meath football. He basically agreed with the presenter who said that the meath delegates got rid of Eamonn because he didn't land Sam in his first year and that they had now gone through 3 managers in the short number of years since Sean Boylan retired.

What utter and complete tripe.

First of all, the reason that the delegates had lost confidence in Obrien was nothing to do with not winning the All-Ireland. It was to do with the reasons outlined above by Hardy and Juice, the failure to make changes at crucial times in games and lack of vision to see changes in the way a game was going and to act on them.  Obrien also lost his 2 coaches each after a year in charge. The rumour was that Sean Kelly tried to get him to make changes much earlier against Kildare but was ignored.
Regarding the comments that the Meath delegates have had no patience with managers since Sean left, Eamonn Barry was got rid of by the Co. Board for mostly personality clash reasons and Colm Coyle resigned after the limerick hammering – neither of these departures were prompted by the delegates.
It seems as if Cummins and co want to have the delegates there to rubber stamp their decisions but are not supposed to reflect the views of the clubs and supporters.

stephenite

Can we send our delegates up to stay with the Meath delegates for a couple of weeks to learn how it's done - what a wonderful display of free thinking.

Will the CB get their own back by making the clubs sell expensive tickets to the unemployed to pay for something only the county board wanted, or will they just identify one or two delegates as ringleaders and just disband their clubs or some such retribution.

Hardy

Quote from: stephenite on September 07, 2010, 11:08:09 AM
Can we send our delegates up to stay with the Meath delegates for a couple of weeks to learn how it's done

While you're at it, could you send a few of your posters over here to show us how to extend a managerial debate into a 70-page epic? We're only novices at this stuff.

MCMLX

They arent easily pleased in Meath. They won a Leinster title in 2010, is that not enough. We`ll not get into the legitimacy of the title, the GAA wouldnt so why should we, but history will show that Meath are Leinster champions.

Jinxy

I'm surprised and pleased this has happened.
No disrespect to Eamonn but I genuinely think he'd taken the team as far as he could.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Giveitlong

O'Brien did appear to be appallingly slow to make obvious changes. Harrington staying on Kavanagh for so long being the obvious puzzler. Brian Farrell's performances in the Intermediate Championship are also a timely reminder of O'Brien's myopia/stubbornness. And who knows, his 9 points versus Dunderry at the weekend may have tipped the clubs over the edge. I have always thought he is an awesome player. And giving him 5 minutes here and there is pretty mindless. Most counties would be building an attack around him.

Sean Kelly should be the next Meath manager in my opinion.

It will retain some continuity, and all that's needed is to develop another midfielder (or perhaps blood Shane O'Rourke out there IMO), and find another teak tough corner back who doesn't foul. Not a lot needs to change. The forwards are there. Although I would argue you need more output from S Bray, and an awful lot more work rate from C Ward, who is slightly living on reputation and who misses an awful lot more frees that you think.

spuds

Quote from: Giveitlong on September 07, 2010, 01:25:54 PM

and an awful lot more work rate from C Ward, who is slightly living on reputation and who misses an awful lot more frees that you think.

He scores a lot more frees than you think.
:o
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

thejuice

O'Brien did appear to be appallingly slow to make obvious changes. Harrington staying on Kavanagh for so long being the obvious puzzler. Brian Farrell's performances in the Intermediate Championship are also a timely reminder of O'Brien's myopia/stubbornness. And who knows, his 9 points versus Dunderry at the weekend may have tipped the clubs over the edge. I have always thought he is an awesome player. And giving him 5 minutes here and there is pretty mindless. Most counties would be building an attack around him.

not to mention burning bridges with Cormac McGill.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on September 07, 2010, 10:21:34 AM

Myles and passedit - here's a joke you've probably never heard before. You can have it for nothing - it will improve the originality of your material:
Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side.

Thanks for that Hardy, it never gets old, unlike ourselves. At least Shane is a good Mead man with a bit of pedigree. Come to think of it he could probably do a job at full forward for ye never mind management.

Don't Panic

Hardy

You're nearly as funny as Patrick Kielty, passedit.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: spuds on September 07, 2010, 01:32:34 PM

and an awful lot more work rate from C Ward, who is slightly living on reputation and who misses an awful lot more frees that you think.

He scores a lot more frees than you think.
:o

And he ates a lot more snack boxes than any of ye think.