Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Quote from: Back2Winning on December 30, 2021, 01:32:24 PM
Good Afternoon All.
Anyone hear from a reliable source or know when the Down Football Leagues are scheduled to start in 2022??

Looking at the NFL fixtures they end on 27th March so I would say Leagues would start the next week on 3rd April (Sunday). With a stacked league fixture in top divisions there'll be a need to get games played. Reserve Leagues possibly starting the beginning of March as per pre-covid years.

Of course this is all a theory and up to what restrictions are in place due to COVID.

Back2Winning

Quote from: Mourne Red on December 30, 2021, 01:47:30 PM
Good Afternoon All.
Anyone hear from a reliable source or know when the Down Football Leagues are scheduled to start in 2022??

Looking at the NFL fixtures they end on 27th March so I would say Leagues would start the next week on 3rd April (Sunday). With a stacked league fixture in top divisions there'll be a need to get games played. Reserve Leagues possibly starting the beginning of March as per pre-covid years.

Of course this is all a theory and up to what restrictions are in place due to COVID.

Thanks MR. That sounds logical.

wobbller

Good Afternoon All.

Down play Monaghan on April 30th in the SFC.

Mourne Red

Quote from: wobbller on December 30, 2021, 02:18:02 PM
Good Afternoon All.

Will be a break for that weekend I would suspect though and a starred fixture - perhaps something like below (Best option I can think off, but open to others suggestions)

Round 1

1st-3rd April

Round 2

8th-10th April

Round 3 (Easter Monday Fixtures)

18th April

Round 4

22nd April (Starred Games)

Ulster Match vs Monaghan (30th April)

Round 5 - 6th May etc

sdg

Quote from: Mourne Red on December 30, 2021, 02:42:57 PM
Quote from: wobbller on December 30, 2021, 02:18:02 PM
Good Afternoon All.

Will be a break for that weekend I would suspect though and a starred fixture - perhaps something like below (Best option I can think off, but open to others suggestions)

Round 1

1st-3rd April

Round 2

8th-10th April

Round 3 (Easter Monday Fixtures)

18th April

Round 4

22nd April (Starred Games)

Ulster Match vs Monaghan (30th April)

Round 5 - 6th May etc

I think you will find split season means no county men available for clubs until your own county finished up

Smurfy123

It will be up to James McCartan to release players this year no starred system in place.

The clubs won't have any say unlike other years where county players played the first 5 or 6 games

That's now totally up to James

wobbller

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 30, 2021, 08:10:26 PM
It will be up to James McCartan to release players this year no starred system in place.

The clubs won't have any say unlike other years where county players played the first 5 or 6 games

That's now totally up to James
There'll be some row when the Managers hear that if true.

Hard2Listen2

There will be a pre-season competition without county men like last year before the league starts after inter-county league.

Similar to last season.

Heard it from a prominent individual today in Nana's in Castlewellan.

Recommended for a nice bite of traditional grub like your granny would make!

Nana's that is. Not the prominent individual.

Smurfy123

If true? It's true
The split season has been passed

supersub

Any manager would be aware of this I would imagine.

Surely no time Corn an Duin if there are going to be 20 odd league games

thewobbler

There won't be a pre season tournament.

Matches will be starred until Down complete their season. League playoffs will be implemented to cushion a lack of county player availability for circa half the league.

Things will kick off early April as soon as the clock springs forward.

I haven't actually met any county board officials while sipping coffee to glean this knowledge. It's just that I remember this format worked perfectly well with 12-team leagues in late 1990s and early 2000s. The county board will remember this too. Looking for a "better" solution is kind of pointless.

Kong King

Not really sure what the county committee will do. Thought that corn an duin had its merits last year but was a bit lop sided in planning and execution. It would be good if the committee were planning now for next season, but in typical fashion it will be left until middle of march before anything is even talked about

Smurfy123

What benefits did the corn an duin have as apposed to a full league campaign?

Wobblers totally correct

No point trying to find the best system next year to appease everyone

Full league to begin as normal hold a playoff match to decide who wins the league and who is relegated

Bottom teams goes down automatically

In a 22 league campaign the board don't really have much room or time to mess about

Clubs missing county players suck it up

imagine

Not familiar with Divs 1&2.How many teams are there in 1 and 2 at the minute?

Mourne Red

Quote from: imagine on December 31, 2021, 08:53:14 AM
Not familiar with Divs 1&2.How many teams are there in 1 and 2 at the minute?

Usually Top 2 divisions are 10 teams but because there was no relegation last year there is 12 teams in Top 2 Divisions. 4 Teams going down from each will make for some cracking league games.