The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 16, 2022, 03:57:20 PM
Quote from: joemamas on May 16, 2022, 03:22:16 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 12:30:59 PM
It would all be fine but his analysis wasn't fantastic either - it was entertaining but there was no real insightful analysis and he made some stuff personal.

It does need overhauled though. I found listening to the punditry on BBC yesterday pretty good. I didn't think the Tyrone boys sounded like they liked Derry mind you  ;D

I had the same thought yesterday. way way better, also way more analytical compared to RTE's "Cliche fest"

In fairness it would not be hard to be better than RTE. When the games are on both channels i will watch BBC every time there knowledgeable and put the effort in.
The punditry was spot on, enjoyable, good humoured, and tactical however the commentary ground me down, talk about stating the obvious, repeatedly.

imtommygunn

I used to think Marty Clarke was very good and I wasn't sure on McConville but I've kind of reversed my opinion now.

Wildweasel74

1 Tyrone lad enough, like to see someone from Monaghan or cavan involved.

RadioGAAGAA

It does need overhauled though. I found listening to the punditry on BBC yesterday pretty good. I didn't think the Tyrone boys sounded like they liked Derry mind you  ;D

Mark Sidebottom is a dose though.

At least Des doesn't shout, roar and try to make a simple question as long as a f**king chapter in war & peace.

But definitely punditry far better. RTÉ are shocking. Just a stream of soundbites.
i usse an speelchekor

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 16, 2022, 10:45:47 PM
1 Tyrone lad enough, like to see someone from Monaghan or cavan involved.

BBC NI
Clue in the name

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 16, 2022, 11:01:23 PM

Mark Sidebottom is a dose though.

At least Des doesn't shout, roar and try to make a simple question as long as a f**king chapter in war & peace.

But definitely punditry far better. RTÉ are shocking. Just a stream of soundbites.

Des over Mark all day long

NotedObserver

Not sure if he commentary to be honest on BBC. Get a bit over excited about a few things such as a tackle and want to heap praise on certain players they they know more than others. Harte seemed a bit annoyed that Derry were getting praise for a system Tyrone were hammered for

restorepride

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 08:00:52 PM
I used to think Marty Clarke was very good and I wasn't sure on McConville but I've kind of reversed my opinion now.
Clarke is generally excellent, McConville should not feature when Armagh are playing.

onefineday

Quote from: johnnycool on May 16, 2022, 09:01:27 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 16, 2022, 08:15:56 AM
I'd say it's more about RTÉ thinking beforehand that Wexford will beat Westmeath out the gate and therefore they'd only need 30 sec coverage of their game on TSG.

Yip,
bare minimum effort put in and then they try to muster 3 or 4 minutes of highlights and I'm yet to see a ball, just bodies running around.

Welcome to the Tailteann cup level of effort people.
See a ball?? I couldn't even make out what colour each team was wearing. Cody will have his work cut out getting video analysis of that game to ready the troops for the weekend!

onefineday

I'm sure it's been said earlier, but this condensed championship is creating huge problems for the media too. Trying to fit last weekend's action into one programme was a fool's errand.
Fine if that was followed by a in depth hurling show and a separate in depth football show at some point during the week (instead of putting on countless reruns of recently shown programmes for example), surely that's cheap TV too.
It's been said for years, but the next TV deal has to insist on more magazine style coverage during the week between games.

imtommygunn

Quote from: restorepride on May 16, 2022, 11:30:02 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 08:00:52 PM
Clarke is generally excellent, McConville should not feature when Armagh are playing.

I think it's commentary vs punditry to be fair to him.

Can't have des at all. I really went off him years ago when he was at Eamon o'hara and donal og about their managers to try and make a headline for himself. 

Jc inadvertently your point actually makes a point for the tailteann cup. The "lesser" counties actually get little coverage when they are in the a championships anyway so putting them into a b one where they get little or none isn't much different.  I get arguments against it but honestly don't get that one.

thewobbler

Quote from: onefineday on May 17, 2022, 12:54:16 AM
I'm sure it's been said earlier, but this condensed championship is creating huge problems for the media too. Trying to fit last weekend's action into one programme was a fool's errand.
Fine if that was followed by a in depth hurling show and a separate in depth football show at some point during the week (instead of putting on countless reruns of recently shown programmes for example), surely that's cheap TV too.
It's been said for years, but the next TV deal has to insist on more magazine style coverage during the week between games.

They aren't "huge" problems.

Championships games have always gone uncovered, even with RTE, Sky and BBC involved.

onefineday

Quote from: thewobbler on May 17, 2022, 08:38:31 AM
Quote from: onefineday on May 17, 2022, 12:54:16 AM

They aren't "huge" problems.

Championships games have always gone uncovered, even with RTE, Sky and BBC involved.
True, many's the round 1 qualifier hasn't got much coverage, same with most games prior to 1990, but since then it's been common to have the likes of Dublin v meath available somewhere or for a competitive Ulster semi to have more than 5 mins of coverage (for the large portion of potential audience with no access to BBC ni. Teething problems I'm sure, the extension to the spare month of August next year will fix the issue.

johnnycool

Quote from: onefineday on May 17, 2022, 12:46:57 AM
I'd say it's more about RTÉ thinking beforehand that Wexford will beat Westmeath out the gate and therefore they'd only need 30 sec coverage of their game on TSG.

Yip,
bare minimum effort put in and then they try to muster 3 or 4 minutes of highlights and I'm yet to see a ball, just bodies running around.

See a ball?? I couldn't even make out what colour each team was wearing. Cody will have his work cut out getting video analysis of that game to ready the troops for the weekend!

Them Kilkenny lads don't do video analysis, tactics or the likes, they just go out and hurl up a storm in a manly way.

;D

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2022, 09:23:16 AM
Quote from: onefineday on May 17, 2022, 12:46:57 AM

Yip,

Them Kilkenny lads don't do video analysis, tactics or the likes, they just go out and hurl up a storm in a manly way.

;D

#winyourownball